Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

I think the important word is "may". No one has reported it actually happening yet.

Sent from my EVO LTE

THIS.

At the moment, there is no throttling done on the network. However, the wording allows this in the future should the need arise. It's better from a legal-standpoint to have all of your ducks in a row before people try and file lawsuits over things they already agreed to. It's easy to point to the agreement they made already as part of service if you do end up doing it. If you don't do it, then you just have some extra words in the agreement that never get used.

• Like 3

so with sprints new unlimited for life guarantee if you pick one of their new plans and maintain it, are we as existing customers on legacy plans ie everything data share 1500 going to get beat out of unlimited data at some point if we dont switch over now and lock in. 

right now with two iphones on my everything data share 1500 plan i pat 150/month before my discount, i have unlimited text data cell to cell,1500 everything else mins.  The new unlimited my way plan is everything unlimited for 150/month, so 3 questions am i losing anything in the fine print by switching from my current to this new plan, if i wait till february of 2015 when im up do i risk losing unlimited data, and are the still giving discounts on these new plans????

Personally I am sticking with my current plan until they force me off it. In your situation though it may be best to take their unlimited guarantee since the price is the same and you are gaining unlimited voice.

thanks for the move to this topic!

Personally I am sticking with my current plan until they force me off it. In your situation though it may be best to take their unlimited guarantee since the price is the same and you are gaining unlimited voice.

we never ever even come close to the  1500 mins per month so im not too concerned about that.  my concern is that i have 19 months before my contract is up, i decide not to change plans and get the unlimited for life guarantee and then lose unlimited, i switched to sprint and dealt with horrific data speeds for years with the hope the network would get better, which it is, but that i wouldnt have to worry about losing my unlimited data.

Hmmmmmm decisions decisions

Um, you know, Sprint is investing untold amounts of capital into its network, doing something no other carrier has done, and doing it faster. They're going at breakneck speeds. Are you following the acceptance reports at all? While you might not have LTE at your location, work is happening everywhere, as fast as possible. Sprint isn't waiting around on this. They're hiring as many contractors as they can. I really don't think, despite what you guys are saying Sprint "needs" to do, for them to go any faster. They're already in the situation they're in, and doing their best to get out of it.

Really, what could be done? It's not like they're going "nah, these sites don't need backhaul yet. Wait on it, screw the rules consumer, we have money!". They're accepting sites as soon as they're finished.

And, frankly, I don't think NV being behind is what's stopping your average customer from switching to Sprint. Your average consumer has no idea what "Four Gee Lite" is. They don't know about this and that network and megahertz and whatnots. They just know that Sprint's those yellow people who keep yelling about unlimited. Getting a real marketing campaign going is what's going to attract customers, not a network. The network attracts technically-minded power users, but the ads and the public perception are what bring people over.

And - Sprint's latest churn numbers only look bad because of the iDEN shutdown and lack of Nextel recaptures. So, yeah. Those low-ARPU customers were pretty much write-offs anyways.

Friends speed test wasn't able to START on iphone 5 while my VZW iphone 4 got 1mbps. Marketing is gonna get people onto the network but if they can't load Facebook, they're gonna leave very quickly.

Sorry but network matters.

The Sprint LTE maps aren't that great to go by either. They show LTE coverage where they show they only have voice roaming coverage.

Why are they doing that? Incompetence or dishonesty?

We do not know, but coverage over projection has been a problem from the very beginning.  Some of us surmise that Sprint could be equipped to map based only on RSSI, not RSRP.  Thus, LTE coverage is being depicted down to something like -119 dBm RSSI.  But who knows???

AJ

• Like 1

Companies ALWAYS say "may".

"May experience drowsiness" etc. Its a psych thing.

Very true, although no one has reported it happening yet. If someone sees it happening then we may learn more about when Sprint will throttle.

Keep in mind, if you are streaming even at a constant 1mb it is crushing the network regardless of the carrier. You put a few of those on the same sector and channel and Sprint throttling would be the least of everyone's worries.

Sent from my EVO LTE

We do not know, but coverage over projection has been a problem from the very beginning. Some of us surmise that Sprint could be equipped to map based only on RSSI, not RSRP. Thus, LTE coverage is being depicted down to something like -119 dBm RSSI. But who knows???

AJ

Is the coverage calculated in premier section more accurate?

Do you guys use cloud rf?

Keep in mind, if you are streaming even at a constant 1mb it is crushing the network regardless of the carrier. You put a few of those on the same sector and channel and Sprint throttling would be the least of everyone's worries.

I stream Netflix and Spotify at the gym every weekday on Sprint's network with no problems in an area that has decent, but not stellar, coverage. A steady 1Mbps stream would be overkill...

• Like 1

so with sprints new unlimited for life guarantee if you pick one of their new plans and maintain it, are we as existing customers on legacy plans ie everything data share 1500 going to get beat out of unlimited data at some point if we dont switch over now and lock in. 

right now with two iphones on my everything data share 1500 plan i pat 150/month before my discount, i have unlimited text data cell to cell,1500 everything else mins.  The new unlimited my way plan is everything unlimited for 150/month, so 3 questions am i losing anything in the fine print by switching from my current to this new plan, if i wait till february of 2015 when im up do i risk losing unlimited data, and are the still giving discounts on these new plans????

At the moment, there has been no announcement of the "old plans" going away, or people being locked out of Unlimited if they refuse to move to the new plans. However, Sprint has made it clear that, in the event of Unlimited going away, plans with the "Unlimited Guarantee" are the only ones that will allow you to keep it. We just don't know when, or even if, this is going to happen.

You don't lose anything switching to the new plans. They're unlimited talk, text, and data. The cost for two phones is identical. And discounts do apply, but only to the "data" section of the account. So, you would end up paying a bit more, as your "discountable" section would go from $110 to $60.

Friends speed test wasn't able to START on iphone 5 while my VZW iphone 4 got 1mbps. Marketing is gonna get people onto the network but if they can't load Facebook, they're gonna leave very quickly.

Why are you sorry? You're not actually disagreeing with my post. Of course network matters; else Sprint and Softbank wouldn't be putting billions of capex into it. I said (and you agreed) that it's marketing that brings the customers.

That being said, your post is anecdotal evidence. I can show you a site very close to me that's great EV-DO on Sprint, completely and utterly unusable EV-DO on VZW. I could show you a dozen more around me, if we went for a drive together. Nobody's perfect everywhere, and everyone is trying to get better. Well, for the most part.

Speaking of, are you a Sprint customer at all? Just curious.

• Like 1

At the moment, there has been no announcement of the "old plans" going away, or people being locked out of Unlimited if they refuse to move to the new plans. However, Sprint has made it clear that, in the event of Unlimited going away, plans with the "Unlimited Guarantee" are the only ones that will allow you to keep it. We just don't know when, or even if, this is going to happen.

You don't lose anything switching to the new plans. They're unlimited talk, text, and data. The cost for two phones is identical. And discounts do apply, but only to the "data" section of the account. So, you would end up paying a bit more, as your "discountable" section would go from $110 to $60.

Why are you sorry? You're not actually disagreeing with my post. Of course network matters; else Sprint and Softbank wouldn't be putting billions of capex into it. I said (and you agreed) that it's marketing that brings the customers.

That being said, your post is anecdotal evidence. I can show you a site very close to me that's great EV-DO on Sprint, completely and utterly unusable EV-DO on VZW. I could show you a dozen more around me, if we went for a drive together. Nobody's perfect everywhere, and everyone is trying to get better. Well, for the most part.

Speaking of, are you a Sprint customer at all? Just curious.

No. Currently VZW single line with grandfathered unlimited. In 2014, I'm switching to TMO or Sprint for 3 lines. I'm encouraged by what Son said about competing on price.

No. Currently VZW single line with grandfathered unlimited. In 2014, I'm switching to TMO or Sprint for 3 lines. I'm encouraged by what Son said about competing on price.

Well anyways, I'm curious about where exactly you were when the iPhone 5 failed to load a Speedtest; Boston looks to have quite a bit of work done. I'd recommend throwing down a few bucks to become a sponsor so you can see the maps yourself. I'd imagine that it's only going to get better from here. Considering 2014 is several months away, well, we might even see some 800 and 2500 there by then.

Well anyways, I'm curious about where exactly you were when the iPhone 5 failed to load a Speedtest; Boston looks to have quite a bit of work done. I'd recommend throwing down a few bucks to become a sponsor so you can see the maps yourself. I'd imagine that it's only going to get better from here. Considering 2014 is several months away, well, we might even see some 800 and 2500 there by then.

I don't doubt it. I get that this is a complete rebuild. By Sep 2014 Sprint's network will be bitching EVERYwhere. I say Sep cause that's when I think the iphone 6 is coming out and I'm holding onto a iphone 4.
  • Like 1

I don't doubt it. I get that this is a complete rebuild. By Sep 2014 Sprint's network will be bitching EVERYwhere. I say Sep cause that's when I think the iphone 6 is coming out and I'm holding onto a iphone 4.

switch to the gs3 :) lol

There is already 800 and 2500 :)

I seem to recall another member around here from Detroit (what happened to Boston?) telling a similar story...  :sly:

• Like 1

There is already 800 and 2500 :)

Oh, of course! But we don't have 800 LTE anywhere yet (do we?), and 2500 is only in a select few markets.

I seem to recall another member around here from Detroit (what happened to Boston?) telling a similar story...  :sly:

Huh, interesting. That user also had an iPhone 4 on VZW and was looking to move to T-Mobile or Sprint...

Well, that being said, I've seen some LTE sites that, as soon as they light up, they refuse to serve any data for a couple days, leading to a negative user experience. Could have been something like that. Could have simply been a cell site that went down and was blocking EV-DO at a high rate (happens all the time on every carrier). Could have been an issue with the iPhone. Any number of things.

Oh, of course! But we don't have 800 LTE anywhere yet (do we?), and 2500 is only in a select few markets.

Huh, interesting. That user also had an iPhone 4 on VZW and was looking to move to T-Mobile or Sprint...

Well, that being said, I've seen some LTE sites that, as soon as they light up, they refuse to serve any data for a couple days, leading to a negative user experience. Could have been something like that. Could have simply been a cell site that went down and was blocking EV-DO at a high rate (happens all the time on every carrier). Could have been an issue with the iPhone. Any number of things.

Yup lte800 along with 2500.

lol It's not launched yet. w0t.

...I (almost) literally just said "We don't have it anywhere" and you said "yes we have it" and when I asked you where, you said "we don't have it". 

...I (almost) literally just said "We don't have it anywhere" and you said "yes we have it" and when I asked you where, you said "we don't have it". 

It's not launched.... It's being added along with 2500.. lol

wow... just proving further nothing you say makes sense.

How does saying it's not launched, NOT make sense? lol