Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

Everything I.saw about my stocks told me my Sprint stock was going to convert to new Sprint at like 5.85 which was the price on the date the agreement was struck. So it's actually up 7% today.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

Its hard to get activity going on a new stock like this. I mean, who would elect to get stock instead of cash and then immediately sell it the next day? The price has to be surging for that. Otherwise, people who decided to get stock were mostly long haul investors.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 4

Well the majority of shareholders elected the default/cash option so in reality everyone has shares, just less of them. I am curious if it will ping-pong around or stabilize toward Sprint's previous share price.

I elected shares but that may end up "costing" be a couple hundred bucks or saved me the trouble of buying shares depending on how the price ends up today. I'm still in it for the long haul so I don't care. Bought mine at 2.70 or so.

Its hard to get activity going on a new stock like this. I mean, who would elect to get stock instead of cash and then immediately sell it the next day? The price has to be surging for that. Otherwise, people who decided to get stock were mostly long haul investors.

I think what happened is the pool of money to buy the old stock wasn't enough to cover everyone who elected for cash.  So  people got some of both. So maybe people who wanted all cash are selling the shares that got converted to the new company.  Not sure, just guessing.

I think what happened is the pool of money to buy the old stock wasn't enough to cover everyone who elected for cash.  So  people got some of both. So maybe people who wanted all cash are selling the shares that got converted to the new company.  Not sure, just guessing.

No, everyone that elected to take the cash was paid their cash. The ones that didn't vote were supposed to receive cash as well, but there apparently wasn't enough to cover all of them so they got a mix of approximately $5.65 in cash for each share and 0.26 shares of new Sprint common stock.

• Like 1

I read that Softbank plans to more than double capex for the next two years to upgrade the Sprint network.  This appears above and beyond Network Vision.   My understanding is Sprint's original NV plan was to complete upgrades more or less by next year.

Does anyone know what such big upgrades by Softbank might be?  LTE Advanced?  Additional cell sites?  Sounds exciting for us customers.

• Like 1

I read that Softbank plans to more than double capex for the next two years to upgrade the Sprint network.  This appears above and beyond Network Vision.   My understanding is Sprint's original NV plan was to complete upgrades more or less by next year.

Does anyone know what such big upgrades by Softbank might be?  LTE Advanced?  Additional cell sites?  Sounds exciting for us customers.

from what I understand, LTE-A is activated by a chip upgrade or addition or something along those lines

from what I understand, LTE-A is activated by a chip upgrade or addition or something along those lines

Yeah, I believe that the NV equipment is capable of at least some LTE Advanced functions with only a software upgrade, so it begs the question: What will Softbank do with such a huge capital expenditure?  Are they going even beyond LTE-A?  if so, look out Verizon!

Yeah, I believe that the NV equipment is capable of at least some LTE Advanced functions with only a software upgrade, so it begs the question: What will Softbank do with such a huge capital expenditure? Are they going even beyond LTE-A? if so, look out Verizon!

My opinion: they're going to deploy TD-LTE not only on EVERY NV tower but on as many additional towers to make 2.5 GHz ubiquitous, at least outdoors.

Softy's claim to fame in Japan is 2.5 GHz and there have been SOOOO many quotes from Son that wireless is too slow here.

2 + 2 = 2.5 GHz

My opinion: they're going to deploy TD-LTE not only on EVERY NV tower but on as many additional towers to make 2.5 GHz ubiquitous, at least outdoors.

Softy's claim to fame in Japan is 2.5 GHz and there have been SOOOO many quotes from Son that wireless is too slow here.

2 + 2 = 2.5 GHz

Isn't indoor performance the hot topic these days?  Back in the day people used cell phones to supplement their land-line and cable internet when they were on the road, but now many are relying on it as a primary means of communication.  I suppose 2.5GHz is important in urban areas, but for the majority of the country wouldn't it be better to focus on lower frequencies with better building penetration? 

Isn't indoor performance the hot topic these days? Back in the day people used cell phones to supplement their land-line and cable internet when they were on the road, but now many are relying on it as a primary means of communication. I suppose 2.5GHz is important in urban areas, but for the majority of the country wouldn't it be better to focus on lower frequencies with better building penetration?

Indoor speeds will be augmented with small cells but not in residential where people have wifi so they don't need LTE.

It's not practical to expect wireless to replace wired broadband; the physics just don't allow it.

I have a Comcast 50mbps connection - most of the time lol - while a single sector of Sprint's current 5x5 LTE provides 30 Mbps. So if everyone in my house is on Sprint LTE -streaming - instead of my wifi, that Sprint sector that is supposed to service 100 people is now being taken up by a few people streaming. All carriers assume that people in residentially are mostly on wifi.

The situation is different in a commercial zone like a mall, stadium, etc. There, every carrier will deploy small cells and Distributed Antenna Systems not so everyone can stream but because so many people being covered by only 1-2 macro cells will result in total network paralysis even if no one is streaming.

And in situations where everyone at a stadium is streaming the same thing, carriers can use LTE-broadcast to consolidate all those streams (of the exact same video source) to one stream.

What does softbank have up their sleeves? I'm so ready for Softbank to have some sort of press release that explains their vision and what exactly they are trying to create

Son already said he's not gonna broadcast his plans. We'll know of his plans when the product is introduced.

Son already said he's not gonna broadcast his plans. We'll know of his plans when the product is introduced.

I just hope it's not some gimmicky, value-added service rather than a real bandwidth improvement.  

Based on Son's track record I'm sure whatever he's cooking up for us will be well worth the wait

I read a day or so ago that his plans are to have VZW's LTE footprint in 2 years or less, effectively displacing AT&T.

The other thing I read is that he has the track record to deliver on those promises, and doesn't like to lose.

This is great news. :)

• Like 2

I've never seen Masayoshi Son say he was going to have Sprint's footprint equal VZW or ATT. What I do recall him saying was he was going to take on the duopoly directly and compete with them. He may not even try to compete on the level of a national footprint. It all just may be his plan to spend an additional $16Billion inside the existing footprint.

• Like 1

I read a day or so ago that his plans are to have VZW's LTE footprint in 2 years or less, effectively displacing AT&T.

The other thing I read is that he has the track record to deliver on those promises, and doesn't like to lose.

It's awesome news for us sprint customers.

This is great news. :)

I've never seen Masayoshi Son say he was going to have Sprint's footprint equal VZW or ATT. What I do recall him saying was he was going to take on the duopoly directly and compete with them. He may not even try to compete on the level of a national footprint. It all just may be his plan to spend an additional $16Billion inside the existing footprint.Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It depends how you interpret this:

"If the network isn't good, customers are going to complain, Mr. Son said, adding that Sprint will seek to pull even with Verizon in high-speed coverage in about two years."

It depends how you interpret this:

"If the network isn't good, customers are going to complain, Mr. Son said, adding that Sprint will seek to pull even with Verizon in high-speed coverage in about two years."

I would love it if Sprint expanded its native corporate coverage. I'm just not convinced that's their plan yet.