Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

Sounds about right. "I crashed my car into a bridge. I DON'T CARE!"

In your case, I hope that it was not the Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, nor Williamsburg Bridge.  Those are iconic structures.  Or, should I say, "Icona" structures...

;)

AJ

• Like 5

As for the extra statement fee, I could never get sprint to mail me only one statement. Each month I'd get four or five identical statements. No one at Sprint could fix it, so I finally switched to ebills.

It means SoftBank has big things planned. From what I understand they are looking at synergies in structure between both networks and trying to find out what works for both companies. They seem to believe the U.S. and Japan operate the same way. They want Sprint to become more like them in that they don't want to be seen as the the cell company.

Rather than focus on T-Mobile, he is already going for the big guys, AT&T and Verizon.

I absolutely love it!

Synergies between which two networks? Softbank in Japan and Sprint in America?

I think it simply means they're not gonna behave like dicks but more like google, the "cool" company.

Edited by bluespruce1901

Synergies between which two networks? Softbank in Japan and Sprint in America?I think it simply means they're not gonna behave like dicks but more like google, the "cool" company.

The main 'synergy' with Sprint and SoftBank is to get more hardware/smartphone OEM's to support TD-LTE 2600. Other than that, under the current structures of both companies, there is not much synergy between Sprint and SoftBank. But as they make Sprint organized more and more like SoftBank, that may change.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not sure what that one post implies about Sprint being an Internet company and the big 2 are telecommunications companies. I hope Son doesnt push Sprint as a content delivery service.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

If Softy wanted to eventually buy TMO, a smart way to go about it is to do a network sharing deal first.

All the Sprint phones that have HSPA+, offload off of EVDO and onto HSPA+. And get TMO to ditch the 10 MHz it's using for GSM and replace it with LTE; all Sprint phones will instantly have faster LTE (capacity).

If Softy wanted to eventually buy TMO, a smart way to go about it is to do a network sharing deal first.

All the Sprint phones that have HSPA+, offload off of EVDO and onto HSPA+. And get TMO to ditch the 10 MHz it's using for GSM and replace it with LTE; all Sprint phones will instantly have faster LTE (capacity).

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-33-spectrum-analysis-part-twosprint-and-t-mobile-spare-pcs-spectrum-would-pair-nicely-for-a-lte-partnership/

AJ

Yes, I remember reading that. Why don't they do it? They don't have to get FCC permission like in Europia.

First off, keep in mind that AJ's article was written before Tmobile announced their new Challenger strategy which changed their strategy of what technologies are going to be deployed on their AWS and PCS spectrum holdings.  At the time, Tmobile deployed HSPA+ on AWS and GSM on PCS and Tmobile did not have a strategy to move to LTE given it just came out of the failed ATT/Tmobile merger.  This LTE network sharing partnership idea would have been great for both companies had Tmobile not decide to deploy its own LTE.

However, given the new direction of Tmobile from the Challenger strategy to deploy AWS for LTE and maximize their PCS spectrum for HSPA+, I don't see this happening anymore.  At this point, both companies have gone far in their separate directions and Sprint needs to focus on their own network to deploy LTE on 800/1900/2500 and not worry about creating a LTE network sharing partnership.

• Like 4

First off, keep in mind that AJ's article was written before Tmobile announced their new Challenger strategy which changed their strategy of what technologies are going to be deployed on their AWS and PCS spectrum holdings. At the time, Tmobile deployed HSPA+ on AWS and GSM on PCS and Tmobile did not have a strategy to move to LTE given it just came out of the failed ATT/Tmobile merger so this LTE network sharing partnership idea would have been great for both companies.

However, given the new direction of Tmobile from the Challenger strategy to deploy AWS for LTE and maximize their PCS spectrum for HSPA+, I don't see this happening anymore. At this point, both companies have gone far in their separate directions and Sprint needs to focus on their own network to deploy LTE on 800/1900/2500 and not worry about creating a LTE network sharing partnership.

If Tmobile gets rid of GSM, they'll have 5x5 for LTE. As more people get LTE phones, it can replace pcs HSPA with LTE. There's your synergy.

If Tmobile gets rid of GSM, they'll have 5x5 for LTE. As more people get LTE phones, it can replace pcs HSPA with LTE. There's your synergy.

Getting rid of GSM for Tmobile won't occur still for several years.  I don't see Tmobile deploying or refarming PCS spectrum for LTE until it has exhausted all available AWS spectrum resources for LTE.  Since there is upcoming AWS-3 spectrum for auction in the next year or 2, you can bet that Tmobile will try to expand their AWS holdings as their main spectrum band for LTE.

What Tmobile needs to do is phase out all HSPA+ on AWS spectrum and shift all HSPA+ to PCS spectrum.  Then Tmobile can extend their 5x5 LTE markets in AWS to at least 10x10 LTE in many markets to provide more relief.  Tmobile has been refarming PCS spectrum for HSPA+ since early 2012 at the same time as they deploy LTE on AWS spectrum.  Unfortunately Tmobile for the time being has to keep a HSPA+ carrier on AWS due to older smartphones (pre 2012) that can only connect to HSPA+ on AWS spectrum.

Getting rid of GSM for Tmobile won't occur still for several years. I don't see Tmobile deploying or refarming PCS spectrum for LTE until it has exhausted all available AWS spectrum resources for LTE. Since there is upcoming AWS-3 spectrum for auction in the next year or 2, you can bet that Tmobile will try to expand their AWS holdings as their main spectrum band for LTE.

What Tmobile needs to do is phase out all HSPA+ on AWS spectrum and shift all HSPA+ to PCS spectrum. Then Tmobile can extend their 5x5 LTE markets in AWS to at least 10x10 LTE in many markets to provide more relief. Tmobile has been refarming PCS spectrum for HSPA+ since early 2012 at the same time as they deploy LTE on AWS spectrum. Unfortunately Tmobile for the time being has to keep a HSPA+ carrier on AWS due to older smartphones (pre 2012) that can only connect to HSPA+ on AWS spectrum.

Tmobile has enough AWS. They need to save their money for 600 MHz. 20 MHz worth.

Not sure what that one post implies about Sprint being an Internet company and the big 2 are telecommunications companies. I hope Son doesnt push Sprint as a content delivery service. Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sprint has to diversify it's revenue sources. It's never going to grow to the size of Verizon or AT&T on its own. Softbank's investor slides mention  utilizing "big data."

On slide 73, Softbank mentions its new California research center. The slide shows off a bunch of futuristic products. 

http://webcast.softbank.co.jp/en/results/20130730/pdf/2014q1.pdf

Maybe these 2 things refers to the "internet of Things" (e.g. Sprint becoming a dumb pipe for internet data?)

• Like 1

Tmobile has enough AWS. They need to save their money for 600 MHz. 20 MHz worth.

Well whether Tmobile has enough AWS or not will be determined if they participate in the AWS-3 auction in the next 2 years.  I think AT&T needs the AWS-3 spectrum more than either Verizon or Tmobile but I don't like the fact that ATT would be getting more spectrum.  I agree that Tmobile's next block of spectrum they need to obtain is 600 MHz rather than more AWS.  However the fact that HSPA+ 42 requires 20 MHz (10x10 block) of bandwidth is a lot of spectrum from Tmobile's perspective.

Sprint has to diversify it's revenue sources. It's never going to grow to the size of Verizon or AT&T on its own. Softbank's investor slides mention  utilizing "big data."

On slide 73, Softbank mentions its new California research center. The slide shows off a bunch of futuristic products. 

Maybe these 2 things refers to the "internet of Things" (e.g. Sprint becoming a dumb pipe for internet data?)

I agree on both points but only to a degree on the latter point. I think over the next several years we will see an evening out of size amongst the national carriers.  In other words Sprint and T-Mo will grow at the expense of Verizon and AT&T.

Big Data is definitely a hot phrase right now.  I believe they are saying they will use Big Data technology to analyze their internal data to make better decisions regarding the network.  From what I've heard, they use a lot of Oracle Exadata appliances to house the structured "Big Data".  Not sure if they use hadoop for their unstructured data analysis.

Not sure what that one post implies about Sprint being an Internet company and the big 2 are telecommunications companies. I hope Son doesnt push Sprint as a content delivery service.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

That would certainly hit Ergen in a lowblow, but hopefully even if that is an additional focus it does not detract from the primary telecom aspect.  although I can see telecom referring to the nickel and diming of ATT and VZ with variable data, text, minute packages vs. unlimited on the AFTER-NOW network.  Masayoshi could be alluding more to the fact that the future is much more datacentric and less "telecom status-quo" and he plans to leave them in the dust.

• Like 2

Big Data is definitely a hot phrase right now.  I believe they are saying they will use Big Data technology to analyze their internal data to make better decisions regarding the network.  From what I've heard, they use a lot of Oracle Exadata appliances to house the structured "Big Data".  Not sure if they use hadoop for their unstructured data analysis.

One of the slides (#38) had info that in Japan they have an opt in thing that tracks app data r speeds and they use that to help plan network upgrades..

P.S. when I first looked at slide 67... WTF a missile launcher?!?!?! ... its a crane.... I guess I should have kept my glasses on.  :lol:

• Like 2

Is there an advertised date as to when the guaranteed unlimited for life will be finished!

On the eFlyers that we hand out to people interested in the new plans, it says that the current offer is good until 11/7/2013. So on November 7th, most likely what will happen is that they'll just renew the plans and keep them going, but it does give them a date to change things if stuff goes bad.

On the eFlyers that we hand out to people interested in the new plans, it says that the current offer is good until 11/7/2013. So on November 7th, most likely what will happen is that they'll just renew the plans and keep them going, but it does give them a date to change things if stuff goes bad.

Yeah, that's standard and the date for the next major Planogram adjustment for the holiday season leading to Christmas.

It also does not prevent Sprint from stopping the plan offering or changing it any earlier than that. It's just the expiration date for the advertising period.

I don't know if you guys remember but, several months ago, there was a law suit against Sprint for supposedly not paying/charging proper sales tax in NY.  Well, the SEC recently closed that investigation without action.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324653004578649840947638854.html

(Sorry if this has already been posted!)