Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

This is the last time Sprint gets to blame Nextel

This probably the last time that the other companies get to take advantage of Sprint stupidity in merging with Nextel. They can kiss the customer addition by the millions goodbye.

• Like 1

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017

If the network isn't good, customers are going to complain, Mr. Son said, adding that Sprint will seek to pull even with Verizon in high-speed coverage in about two years.

That is the original quote I am referring to.  Also worth noting that Verizon's LTE coverage is not the same as their 3G coverage. 

here is a photo of Verizon's current LTE Coverage( according to their site)
datacoverage4g.png

This is the last time Sprint gets to blame Nextel

Maybe, maybe not...

Dan Hesse:

A lot of the customers that were hanging on till the very end were those who really quite frankly love their Nextel service and were not particularly pleased when we had to turn the network down, even though we worked with them very closely. And the CDMA customers, they typically -- a lot of these companies put their entire business out for RFPs and some of those -- a lot of them we won, but some of them we lost and those will trickle out in Q3 and Q4, particularly Q3 being the largest quarter for if you will those mixed account losses because they come right after if you will the (inaudible) losses.

So the Nextel network if you will is the gift that keeps on giving. We’re almost done. We’ve shut the network down, but we still do have a couple of issues that will -- in terms of this mix account effect that will impact the second half of the year.

So the Nextel network if you will is the gift that keeps on giving.

Can we just start referring to the Nextel iDEN network as the "jelly of the month club"?

AJ

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017

That is the original quote I am referring to. Also worth noting that Verizon's LTE coverage is not the same as their 3G coverage.

here is a photo of Verizon's current LTE Coverage( according to their site)

Posted Image

It's probably not up to date cause they said they'd match their 3G coverage end of 2Q13. They're gonna eventually match it because they've been proclaiming that they're gonna release LTE-only phones in the future.

The reason I'm skeptical of Softy expanding coverage to reach VZW and ATT, without buying soneone, is because of what AJ, Robert have said: it's extremely expensive to expand into an area with 0% market share and get up to break even cashflow.

Euteneur stated "we're going to get the benefit of the continued penetration of smartphones that gives us the $10 add on charge"  which could be  a mistake on his part in considering the new unlimited plans, but I'd rather interpret that as endorsement of the Everything Data plans, meaning they can still be sold and certainly still offer ARPU growth opportunity if and when standard phones are upgraded to smart phones. 

When asked about SMR network expansion, Elfman said  "most of our roaming outside of our own footprint of courses with one major carrier and wherever I get an opportunity to do that, I shall. But with the rural carriers we are doing -- we are going to continue doing roaming with small rural partners"      It sounds like 1) Organic network expansion planning is yet to be planned but 2) We should expect the first places favored for expansion would be areas where Verizon is the only roaming partner available.  Makes sense, considering the reciprocal roaming relationships between sprint and regionals are far  more financially favorable than the rates verizon gets while pushing the sprint network to the bottom of its PRL's. 

• Like 7

Euteneur stated "we're going to get the benefit of the continued penetration of smartphones that gives us the $10 add on charge"  which could be  a mistake on his part in considering the new unlimited plans, but I'd rather interpret that as endorsement of the Everything Data plans, meaning they can still be sold and certainly still offer ARPU growth opportunity if and when standard phones are upgraded to smart phones. 

When asked about SMR network expansion, Elfman said  "most of our roaming outside of our own footprint of courses with one major carrier and wherever I get an opportunity to do that, I shall. But with the rural carriers we are doing -- we are going to continue doing roaming with small rural partners"      It sounds like 1) Organic network expansion planning is yet to be planned but 2) We should expect the first places favored for expansion would be areas where Verizon is the only roaming partner available.  Makes sense, considering the reciprocal roaming relationships between sprint and regionals are far  more financially favorable than the rates verizon gets while pushing the sprint network to the bottom of its PRL's. 

Maybe, but isn't the $10 "premium data" charge basically baked-in now?  They stopped advertising the old 450 everything data plan as being $69/month with a $10 data charge and just started saying it was $79.  

It is

Maybe, but isn't the $10 "premium data" charge basically baked-in now?  They stopped advertising the old 450 everything data plan as being $69/month with a $10 data charge and just started saying it was $79.  

It was advertised that way, but at the account level the $10 fee is broken out.  An Everything Data family plan will still pick up a $10 fee as those 3G phones grandfathered in prior it being required for all upgrade and as basic phones are upgraded to smartphones.  If Sprint didn't intend on continuing to work with the ED plans (instead, just forcing the new plans) this wouldn't be part of his outlook

I got the impression from today's call that Son really hasn't asserted his control in the operations thus far.  I suspect he is simply observing operations right now before making any bold moves.   

Did anyone get their statements? A $5 fee if you ever need a second statement mailed to you. However, if you go online to print, that's free. A material change in the agreement?

I don't think so. I don't believe I have ever seen anything in the t & c that says sprint (or any carrier) is required to provide you with a paper bill.

Did anyone get their statements? A $5 fee if you ever need a second statement mailed to you. However, if you go online to print, that's free. A material change in the agreement?

Sprint's big thing lately has been trying to get people to use self-service options like sprint.com and the Sprint Zone a bit more. Cut down on call volume for simple stuff.

Are they saying the first one they mail to you is free and if you need it mailed a second time, then there's a $5 charge? Unless the old agreement stated "If you need a second monthly statement mailed to you, one will be sent free of charge" - I don't see how this could be considered a change in the agreement, let alone a material change...

cmonman.jpg?w=506&h=189

• Like 1

cmonman.jpg?w=506&h=189

Is that Keyshawn?  C'mon, man, does anybody actually listen to what he says? 

AJ

Bill reprints have had a charge associated with them for some time now (at least a year). In addition, Sprint has obviously been pushing for much greener endeavors in the past several years, enough to get the #3 spot in Newsweek's Greenest Companies in America for 2 years in a row. They have also been dramatically increasing the amount of Self-Service options both on the website and through the Sprint Zone app. With those increased self-service options, they are now starting to charge for the time and labor it takes a rep to do the same thing you could do on your own like changing your phone number and reprinting your bill.

The fact is a majority of the country has access to Internet, and most customers are now purchasing smartphones capable of utilizing it, so now that you can do these things yourself, they are decreasing calls into care, reducing the number of reps required to manage these calls, and if you aren't going to do something yourself that you can, they are going to charge you for that service. I'd equate it to self-serve gas stations versus full-service stations (laws permitting of course). The full-service will cost more as they have to pay labor for the employees to do what you can do yourself at a self-service station. Whether this cost is separated out for that specific service, or baked into an overall price increase across the board is up to debate. I'd rather Sprint charge less overall if you can manage your account yourself and charge people who require more personal support to manage their account as it requires employee time and labor. Granted, I say this because I can actually manage my own accounts and don't want to deal with a call center rep at any company if I don't have to knowing the average training regiment at many call centers nationwide.

• Like 1

Not exactly. Recovering from surgery after having the Nextel tumor removed takes time, and the tumor is still to blame for the pain of recovery.

AJ

Yep and a lot of businesses had a mix of nextel and sprint. All the nextel churn was counted in q2 but the sprint subs that were ported to other carriers on the 1st or later will count towards churn in q3.

Edit: I see rawvega beat me to this.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/blog/2013/07/sprint---an-internet-company.html

According to the KC Business Journal, "In a presentation to investors, SoftBank refers to the new SoftBank-Sprint combination as an “Internet Company,” while it plugs competitors Verizon Wireless and AT&T Inc. into the “Telecom Company” category. An Internet focus could mean a massive shift in research and products for Sprint — or it simply could be a rebranding of Sprint to highlight its extracurricular activities."

http://webcast.softbank.co.jp/en/results/20130730/pdf/2014q1.pdf

What does this mean?

I guess Sprint is keeping CDMA for 5 more years at least.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/himex-selects-sprint-network-enable-130000988.html

HIMEX today announced that it has signed a five-year agreement with Sprint (NYSE:S) as the preferred CDMA carrier to wirelessly enable and support HIMEX Usage-Based Insurance (UBI) and telematics solutions.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/blog/2013/07/sprint---an-internet-company.html

According to the KC Business Journal, "In a presentation to investors, SoftBank refers to the new SoftBank-Sprint combination as an “Internet Company,” while it plugs competitors Verizon Wireless and AT&T Inc. into the “Telecom Company” category. An Internet focus could mean a massive shift in research and products for Sprint — or it simply could be a rebranding of Sprint to highlight its extracurricular activities."

http://webcast.softbank.co.jp/en/results/20130730/pdf/2014q1.pdf

What does this mean?

It means SoftBank has big things planned. From what I understand they are looking at synergies in structure between both networks and trying to find out what works for both companies. They seem to believe the U.S. and Japan operate the same way. They want Sprint to become more like them in that they don't want to be seen as the the cell company. 

Rather than focus on T-Mobile, he is already going for the big guys, AT&T and Verizon. 

I absolutely love it!

• Like 1

I absolutely love it!

Here is a little something for, as Bill Cosby would say, "the young people"...

AJ

• Like 3