Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

I have called four stores in my area all of them pushed me into the new plans and didn't give me the option for the old ones even when i threaten to walk. You can not get them online. If they are that hard to get for an informed consumer they not avalible to the average one for all intents and purposes.

Changing your opinion, are you? First you said they're not available at all, now they're "for all intents and purposes" not available - which is false. They are available. Like I already said store employees have been told to push the new plans. The plans aren't going away. They are available if you ask, much like EPRP.

Of course Sprint is going to lead with the most expensive offer, to get as many consumers on it at once. Why wouldn't they?

Hesse can spin this how he wants, but bottom line is if SoftBank had a problem with these new plans they wouldn't have happened. If you think it still could have happened with out SoftBanks approval then you should spend sometime learning how coroprate governance works. But hey everything that companies tell their employees in 100 percent true and not self serving at all, right.

You failed to read the original quote I posted. 

Mr. Hesse said the changes were "created and initiated" by Sprint and not by SoftBank, although the new parent company was aware of the plan.

Of course it had Softbank's approval. But the plans were

"created and initiated" by Sprint and not by SoftBank

You calling Hesse a liar (and by extension, questioning the journalistic integrity of the WSJ) isn't doing anything for your position, as you have continually failed to provide any evidence to the contrary. All you keep doing is talking about corporate culture. If you have a quote, a fact, a statistic, a source, anything that provides evidence against what I've been saying, I'm willing to hear it.

When discussing things like this, we must deal with facts and not wild baseless speculation. My posts have the former. Yours thus far haven't gotten very far out of the latter.

• Like 4

Changing your opinion, are you? First you said they're not available at all, now they're "for all intents and purposes" not available - which is false. They are available. Like I already said store employees have been told to push the new plans. The plans aren't going away. They are available if you ask, much like EPRP.

Of course Sprint is going to lead with the most expensive offer, to get as many consumers on it at once. Why wouldn't they?

You failed to read the original quote I posted.

Of course it had Softbank's approval. But the plans were

You calling Hesse a liar (and by extension, questioning the journalistic integrity of the WSJ) isn't doing anything for your position, as you have continually failed to provide any evidence to the contrary. All you keep doing is talking about corporate culture. If you have a quote, a fact, a statistic, a source, anything that provides evidence against what I've been saying, I'm willing to hear it.

When discussing things like this, we must deal with facts and not wild baseless speculation. My posts have the former. Yours thus far haven't gotten very far out of the latter.

This is my last post so feel free and respond if it makes you feel right. Hesse's statement is technically accurate but notice what it doesn't exclude. It doesn't exclude the possibility that SoftBank had input or could have vetoed the idea. This is where it is dissembling a bit. It leads people to believe SoftBank wasn't involve while not saying that SoftBank is not involved, in fact it say the opposite. For example, sprint comes up with the plan (created in hesses's comment), informs SoftBank. From there softbank could say no, or adjust the prices ex.. Then sprint deploys them( initiated). in this sceam hesse commints are true but softbank was very much invovled (really it is called critical thinking. when you know a source in biased you try to filter what they are saying. Hopefully you won't say Hesse is not biased) And since you agree that the plans had SoftBank's approval what are you disagreeing with me about? I have said since SoftBank must sign off on these plans this can be seen as their first move and it is not impressive.

If you take everything someone in coroprate leadership says on face value and don't look at exactly it was they actually said you are going to be mislead a great deal. They are masters of while not lying, leading people to think what they want when saying something quite different and as much as I like Dan Hesse he wouldn't have gotton to where he is without this skill.

Also glad to see you did disagree with my contention that average customer might as well not have the old plans avalible to them because they have a better chance of getting ice cream delivered in the middle of the Sahara. I was going off what my local sprint stores said and the website when I claimed that the plans where no longer avalible. If i was wrong I am sorry that sprint misinformed me, but that reflects worse on sprint than it does me so hopefully that is a good victory for, because as a customers of sprint (you know those right the ones that allow you company to continue) I a bit mifited at the companies antics right now.

This is my last post so feel free and respond if it makes you feel right. 

I really, really dislike this attitude. You just said "I'm going to respond BUT I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY." It's immature, it's intellectual bankruptcy. It's a complete lack of respect for the person you're debating, and to your own ideas. You're claiming that your ideas are above reproach. It's the least graceful way of dropping out of a conversation. If you'd wanted to just stop the debate, all you had to do was say so. Instead, it makes you look like a fool whose ideas own are worth much to him, but cannot listen to others. Grow up.

• Like 9

I really, really dislike this attitude. You just said "I'm going to respond BUT I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY." It's immature, it's intellectual bankruptcy. It's a complete lack of respect for the person you're debating, and to your own ideas. You're claiming that your ideas are above reproach. It's the least graceful way of dropping out of a conversation. If you'd wanted to just stop the debate, all you had to do was say so. Instead, it makes you look like a fool whose ideas own are worth much to him, but cannot listen to others. Grow up.

That was me saying I wanted to end the debate and that I don't accept your points as valid, because well logic and stuff. In any case you resorted to name calling and then say I need to grow up? Interesting interpretation.

That was me saying I wanted to end the debate and that I don't accept your points as valid, because well logic and stuff. In any case you resorted to name calling and then say I need to grow up? Interesting interpretation.

Looking at the points so far provided, whether or not any of it is correct, logic and stuff would show that koiulpoi has valid points, and has backed them up, whereas your arguments look much more like opinions. In fact, your last couple posts are borderline rants. 

• Like 12

Looks like nTelos is angling for someone to come along and put them out of their misery, perhaps Sprint...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-15/ntelos-ceo-sees-company-as-strategic-asset-as-mergers-escalate.html?cmpid=yhoo

Ntelos CEO Sees Company as Strategic Asset as Mergers Escalate
By Olga Kharif - Jul 15, 2013 11:18 AM PT

AT&T Inc. (T)’s $1.2 billion deal for Leap Wireless International Inc. (LEAP) underscores growing demand for the wireless industry’s most coveted commodity: the airwaves needed to keep calls and data flowing over congested networks, said Ntelos Holdings Corp. (NTLS) Chief Executive Officer James Hyde.

AT&T’s offer for Leap last week represented an 88 percent premium over the prepaid mobile-phone provider’s market value. Hyde said the AT&T deal boosts the value of wireless carrier Ntelos -- a view shared by investors who are bidding up the stock amid takeover speculation.

“These transactions are being done at increased valuations,” Hyde said in an interview. “That’s always a good thing when you are a public company like Ntelos.”

Ntelos, based in Waynesboro, Virginia, rallied as much as 8.2 percent today amid speculation that it could be a target for AT&T, Verizon WirelessT-Mobile US Inc. (TMUS) or Sprint Corp. (S)The shares were up 5 percent to $17.61 at 1:25 p.m. in New York.

AT&T moved to acquire Leap after MetroPCS Communications Inc., another prepaid competitor, was scooped up in May by Deutsche Telekom AG, which combined the carrier with its T-Mobile division. SoftBank Corp., meanwhile, acquired a controlling stake in Sprint on July 10 and is giving the carrier a $5 billion cash infusion to help it expand its network and potentially make more deals. Sprint also completed an acquisition of wireless-network partner Clearwire Corp. last week.

Six States

Ntelos serves about 450,000 retail customers as well as wholesale subscribers in Virginia,West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Kentucky and North Carolina. The company has agreements with Sprint and Dish Network Corp.

The carrier had $132 million in licenses for radio spectrum -- the airwaves that allow mobile phones to send voice calls and connect to the Internet -- at the end of last quarter, according to a filing. At today’s share price, Ntelos has a market value of about $380 million.

The licenses include spectrum in frequency bands know as PCS, AWS and WCS, with the PCS airwaves covering an area with a population of 7.9 million, according to the company’s annual report. Leap holds PCS and AWS spectrum covering 137 million people, it said last week.

“Just the mere fact that we provide wholesale services -- clearly, we’ve got a strategic set of assets,” Hyde said. He declined to comment on whether the company is in talks to be acquired.

To contact the reporter on this story: Olga Kharif in Portland at okharif@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Pui-Wing Tam at ptam13@bloomberg.net

• Like 2

Looking at the points so far provided, whether or not any of it is correct, logic and stuff would show that koiulpoi has valid points, and has backed them up, whereas your arguments look much more like opinions. In fact, your last couple posts are borderline rants.

Rants? I am not ranting about anything. I am a happy sprint customer, if I was trying to move to sprint and had the experience I have had when i called ( for me it was only an experiment) I would be unhappy. As far as evidence, the only thing he has offered is a quote by Hesse and an interpretation of it. I offered an alternative interpretation and explained why I thought it was better. To which I got replies of how I was not presenting facts and naming calling (which again the only fact present by him was a quote and an interpretation, which oddly enough I accepted the quote and gave a different interpretation) that is where the break down in logic and stuff occurred and where I became bored. Feel free to disagree with my take on Hesse's statements regarding the new plans but all he offered was another take on Hesse's statements. It seems odd to count that as evidence.

Are you ending the debate or not? Because this looks suspiciously like you don't actually want to end it. Much like your previous post.

Protip: In the future, when you want to drop out of a debate, just say "Hey, I'm dropping out of this debate. Sorry." Or something similar. Typing out a giant response means you still have points to make which means "I am not done with this debate".

Which is what I've been trying to say, but sometimes communication fails me...

• Like 1

Looks like nTelos is angling for someone to come along and put them out of their misery, perhaps Sprint...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-15/ntelos-ceo-sees-company-as-strategic-asset-as-mergers-escalate.html?cmpid=yhoo

They've been angling for something for a while.  At the last couple of earnings calls when they get asked about their LTE plans or whether they're going to be part of Sprint's NV plans they always get very cagey.

They've been angling for something for a while. At the last couple of earnings calls when they get asked about their LTE plans or whether they're going to be part of Sprint's NV plans they always get very cagey.

What spectrum holdings does NTelos have? I'm assuming they at least have some AWS since AT&T is interested...

What spectrum holdings does NTelos have? I'm assuming they at least have some AWS since AT&T is interested...

Seven AWS-1 licenses, eleven BRS licenses, one WCS license and 29 PCS licenses if the FCC's dashboard is up to date.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

Seven AWS licenses, eleven BRS licenses, one WCS license and 29 PCS licenses if the FCC's dashboard is up to date.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The BRS and PCS licenses are interesting.

Do you think sprint will go after the BRS and PCS licenses? I thought dish was using that spectrum

I dont think dish owns any BRS spectrum. There was a collaboration test between dish and ntelos a month ago to test td-lte for fixed broadband. I think it wad just a test for proof of concept of how they could deploy it at 2.5 ghz so dish had permission to use the 2.5 ghz spectrum for the test.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I dont think dish owns any BRS spectrum. There was a collaboration test between dish and ntelos a month ago to test td-lte for fixed broadband. I think it wad just a test for proof of concept of how they could deploy it at 2.5 ghz so dish had permission to use the 2.5 ghz spectrum for the test.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

That's what I thought. I think sprint should buy that BRS spectrum from Ntelos

Considering that Ntelos is already a Sprint Rural Alliance member, I believe Sprint will just buy the whole company instead of just the licenses. 

This is the most likely in my opinion, and them sell off the spectrum holdings that Sprint does not use, like AWS.

Considering that Ntelos is already a Sprint Rural Alliance member, I believe Sprint will just buy the whole company instead of just the licenses. 

Indeed; at the very least there'd have to be a deal for the sites in the wholesale area (nTelos also owns a network that competes with Sprint in eastern Virginia; they also seem to compete with Shentel according to their coverage map), or otherwise Sprint would be stuck building out I-81 and much of West Virginia again themselves. At that point you've probably taken on so much of nTelos you'd probably be best off buying the whole thing and selling the AWS and WCS off (or voluntarily divesting it as part of the merger).

This is the most likely in my opinion, and them sell off the spectrum holdings that Sprint does not use, like AWS.

or swap the AWS, WCS with another company (AT&T?) for some more PCS.  

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/softbank-chief-hints-at-more-price-cuts-for-sprint/

JULY 18, 2013, 11:00 AM  SoftBank Chief Hints at More Price Cuts for Sprint
By HIROKO TABUCHI

In a phone interview, Masayoshi Son, SoftBank’s chief executive, hinted that further price cuts could be in the works as the company invests to upgrade Sprint, America’s No. 3 wireless carrier.

“We will be aggressive in technology, price packages, services on every front,” Mr. Son said from California on Wednesday. “At the same time, we will improve the network to be the world’s best,” he said.

SoftBank, the Tokyo-based Internet and mobile communications giant, has a reputation in Japan for undercutting rivals on price to gain market share. Mr. Son has been behind a sharp decline in prices for broadband and cellphone services in Japan.

Expectations are high that Mr. Son will bring that strategy to Sprint, which has struggled with subscriber defections for years and that Mr. Son will inject healthy dose of competition to America’s mobile industry.

But Sprint’s price cuts have not been particularly groundbreaking, and executives have said the cuts were in the works before the SoftBank acquisition.

Under Sprint’s new wireless plan, customers pay $80 a month for unlimited data, texting and calling, down from the $110 Sprint had charged for a similar pricing.

“This is not the ‘magic behind the black curtain’ moment that many were waiting for with SoftBank,” Jennifer M. Fritzsche, senior analyst at Wells Fargo Securities, wrote in a research note on July 12.

Sprint remains under pressure from T-Mobile USA, the No. 4 wireless network, which has been offering a $70 package for unlimited talk, text and data from earlier this year.

Verizon, the industry leader, offers a shared data plan with unlimited talk and text messages for $90 a month, while AT&T, the No. 2 network, has a similar plan for $85.

Mr. Son has said that he planned to invest $16 billion in Sprint over the next two years to shake off competition from T-Mobile while also closing the gap with Verizon and AT&T.

Most of that investment will be spent on base stations for Sprint’s advanced LTE network, he told the Nikkei newspaper earlier this month.

And if SoftBank’s past antics in Japan are a clue, Mr. Son could also start driving down prices.

• Like 15