New Sprint Plans...Unlimited, My Way, My All-In

Paynefanbro

Right, but I switched to T-Mo pre-paid until NV is rolled out because 3G in the "Research Triangle" (that's for you, danielholt) was not really usable. That means when I go back to Sprint, this will be my only option.

No it's not.  No plans have been removed, yet.  It may come to that in the future.  But none of us know any of the pricing plans of the future for any carrier.  However, these plans are just additional plans at this time.  If they don't meet your needs, don't select them.  And they are a good fit for a lot of people.

Robert

People want the best deal and the best network. Sprint is free to supply both. I'm very informed. I get that there is a reason why duopoly exists but at the end of the month, it's my total expenses that matters. Am I supposed to add an item "Sprint goodwill" as an income line? Sprint has daddy Soft-bucks now. No more excuses. In 1 year when it's time for me to choose TMO or Sprint or AIO, I will choose best deal and best network for my 99% of the time. When I go to Florida, I'll dig out my iphone VZW and add page plus cellular 2-week plan for the ride down there.

Speaking of 99%... that's about the percent of time I see you slamming Sprint.

You're recommending products like AIO and you don't even have them. I'm starting to think you're an AIO employee pulling a stunt like the Chewly's salesman from the movie Clerks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTbusMZEL0Q

• Like 3

Before they revealed this new plan, I'm sure many said the same thing about introducing a more expensive - in some cases - plan with NV still 1 year away from completion. Greed causes people to do things they don't normally do. To whom would you switch if Sprint pulls a Verizon and takes away your subsidy unless you switch to a new plan when upgrading?

This is not an issue of greed.  Sprint is not a profitable company.  Greed would mean they are taking more than fair share.

Robert

• Like 1

After the VZW-SpectrumCo-Cox transaction with Big Cable that sticks a fork in wired broadband competition across much of the country, VZ/VZW has become just as much public enemy #1 as has AT&T.  But too many members around here also use VZW for various reasons, so I have to bite my tongue.

AJ

No you don't.  I won't defend Verizon.  I live on the edge of Sprint native coverage.  It's just a geography thing for me.  I won't muzzle you.  For me, going north of my town, I either have to use VZW or AT&T, and I can tolerate VZW more than AT&T.  

As far as their scope and ability to disrupt competition, they are the same enemy.  However, Randall Stephenson paints a bigger bullseye on his company with his public temper tantrums and overtly anti-competitive statements.  At least Verizon is intelligent in the PR department when plotting its world domination.

Robert

• Like 5

Speaking of 99%... that's about the percent of time I see you slamming Sprint.

You're recommending products like AIO and you don't even have them. I'm starting to think you're an AIO employee pulling a stunt like the Chewly's salesman from the movie Clerks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTbusMZEL0Q

I had ATT from 2009 to 2011 for the iphone.

Then I switched to Verizon (still iphone) because their data speeds were more consistent. In retrospect, I'm glad I switched because their throttling policy (of unlimited users) is less heavy-handed than ATT's non-intelligent throttling.

Next year, I will become responsible for 3 lines and with current pricing, I'd switch to TMO: $135 for 2x iphone + 1 slider.

I work at an automotive supplier.

I mention AIO because in my view, some people here seem to adore, if not worship, Sprint and Softbank as if they will reciprocate.

We're talking about a corporation whose legal responsibility is to get as much money from you while giving you the least it can.

• Like 1

I hope off-network gets redefined with band 12 LTE roaming. :)

I wonder how it will be shown on the map? Off-Network LTE or.......... Sprint LTE (Signal Strength Varies) like the SRAs that came before it. C-Spire shows Sprint's LTE network as native coverage so that's some glimmer of hope.

I hope off-network gets redefined with band 12 LTE roaming. :)

I wonder how it will be shown on the map? Off-Network LTE or.......... Sprint LTE (Signal Strength Varies) like the SRAs that came before it. C-Spire shows Sprint's LTE network as native coverage so that's some glimmer of hope.

Sprint will never have Band 12 unless they get some Band 12 spectrum.

And they're not going to because they have enough 800-LTE for now and they're saving for 600 MHz that won't have any interference concerns with TV and will be ubiquitous because every carrier is getting some.

If they're so concerned about rural LTE, they can open their 800 MHz to rural carriers same as what Verizon did with their 700 MHz. That would make far more sense and be way less complicated than the Band 12 nonsense.

As an added bonus, this spectrum can support 1xRTT. If the rural carriers want more voice capacity, they can go down to 3x3 LTE and have 2 1xA carriers or 1.4x1.4 LTE and 3 1xA carriers.

And if Sprint doesn't have enough 800 SMR in a certain place then it can buy whoever has it.

Now THAT is a feasible plan.

LOL.

A few months ago, I said that people who pledge their allegiance to Sprint - a multibillion dollar corporation company -  vs another such corporation is foolish! They look after their own interests and don't reciprocate your devotion.

And now, look what happened: Sprint is raising its prices on a network that doesn't even work in many places.

AIO, get some family plans and here I come!

Amen.

I hope Sprint introduces these plans very, very, very soon. :devil:

Like tomorrow.

I had ATT from 2009 to 2011 for the iphone. Then I switched to Verizon (still iphone) because their data speeds were more consistent. In retrospect, I'm glad I switched because their throttling policy (of unlimited users) is less heavy-handed than ATT's non-intelligent throttling. Next year, I will become responsible for 3 lines and with current pricing, I'd switch to TMO: $135 for 2x iphone + 1 slider. I work at an automotive supplier. I mention AIO because in my view, some people here seem to adore, if not worship, Sprint and Softbank as if they will reciprocate. We're talking about a corporation whose legal responsibility is to get as much money from you while giving you the least it can.

There are fan boys and girls for a good amount of companies. I am not sure why you are surprised that some people "adore" or "worship" Sprint on a site that is called Sprint 4G Rollout Updates? If you want diversity my suggestion is Engadget they have all the different types of fan boys and girls there.

Why are you so anti-Sprint if you aren't even a customer?

• Like 1

I mention AIO because in my view, some people here seem to adore, if not worship, Sprint and Softbank as if they will reciprocate. We're talking about a corporation whose legal responsibility is to get as much money from you while giving you the least it can.

You come to a Sprint themed forum and surprised that some people adore or worship the brand? I agree that there is nothing special about Sprint that their customers should blindly follow whatever they decide to do. But there are blindly following loyalists to every brand, including Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. Heck, even Betty Crocker.

I would venture to guess that Sprint has less brand loyalists on average. Let's face it, it is harder to drink the Sprint koolaid than for other carriers just based on the legacy network condition alone.

Robert

• Like 6

I mention AIO because in my view, some people here seem to adore, if not worship, Sprint and Softbank as if they will reciprocate. We're talking about a corporation whose legal responsibility is to get as much money from you while giving you the least it can.

And yet you've been doing more than a fair amount of evangelizing for AIO lately... 

Very interesting thread and it's amusing to see the panic of many.  Sprint has not typically forced people to move to new plans for some time after removing old plans and I'm not sure why many assume it will be different this time. 

I am cocnerned because the plans seem to be a direct response to the verizon/at&t share everything plans. They even copied the way the discounts work

Unsure of at&t, but verizon was very agressive at eliminating old unlimited plans by forcing a change with a subsizided upgrade. That being said, their old non-unlimited plans are still around for existing customers. In fact, some people are floating around with 15 minute a month plans, or north dakoa only plans etc

I dont want sprint to mimick verizon in any shape or form.

Sprint will never have Band 12 unless they get some Band 12 spectrum.

Well that doesn't necessarily make sense. Sprint doesn't have any cellular spectrum and yet most Sprint phones have included CDMA 850 for some time.

Sorry, but remaining objective and rational rather than being a natural pessimist/cynic or an impatient git and jumping to grandiose conclusions does not equate 'worship'.  

And on another note, since you seem to incessantly require it of other members here in various threads, I think going forward when you make these presumptions you keep throwing out, you should be required to cite a 'link/source' to support factual basis for those presumptions as well....or at least learn how to do so before you knee-jerk whip out that phrase again on anyone else.

• Like 1

Well that doesn't necessarily make sense. Sprint doesn't have any cellular spectrum and yet most Sprint phones have included CDMA 850 for some time.

Verizon has 850 and 1900 spectrum so Sprint naturally benefitted because its 1900 is a subset. What's Sprint gonna do: REQUIRE phones to NOT have 850? They already existed with 850 because of Verizon.

What you're saying is that Sprint should demand all phones to have a band it doesn't even own and one which Verizon doesn't use either so that Sprint customers can roam on Band 12 LTE on networks that are not guaranteed to be built - unless Sprint buys it all - and that is encumbered with Channel 51 which will EVENTUALLY get moved?

Why not just do what I suggested? Lease out SMR to rural carriers and they'll be able to not only deploy 5x5 LTE - Band 26 - but also 1xRTT and they can choose how many 1x channels to deploy at the expense of LTE; Lower A 700 MHz is 5x5 so no CDMA voice. All Sprint CDMA devices being sold now have CDMA Band 10 support and after the rural carriers have transitioned all voice to CDMA-800, they can refarm current voice spectrum for LTE.

All bands they are using for voice today are supported in all versions of current iphone 5 for LTE use: 850 is Band 5, PCS is Band 2/25 and for Leap, AWS is Band 4. All those bands are all supported by today's iphone 5 and probably other phones but CDMA 800 is and has been supported for years so transitioning voice users to CDMA-800 should be trivial.

The rural carriers get Sprint's economy of scale and Sprint will probably even help them get their networks running and then Sprint's map will show NATIVE LTE and voice almost everywhere

Doesn't that sound easier and smoother?

Verizon has 850 and 1900 spectrum so Sprint naturally benefitted because its 1900 is a subset. What's Sprint gonna do: REQUIRE phones to NOT have 850? They already existed with 850 because of Verizon.

What you're saying is that Sprint should demand all phones to have a band it doesn't even own and one which Verizon doesn't use either so that Sprint customers can roam on Band 12 LTE on networks that are not guaranteed to be built - unless Sprint buys it all - and that is encumbered with Channel 51 which will EVENTUALLY get moved?

Why not just do what I suggested? Lease out SMR to rural carriers and they'll be able to not only deploy 5x5 LTE - Band 26 - but also 1xRTT and they can choose how many 1x channels to deploy at the expense of LTE; Lower A 700 MHz is 5x5 so no CDMA voice. All Sprint CDMA devices being sold now have CDMA Band 10 support and after the rural carriers have transitioned all voice to CDMA-800, they can refarm current voice spectrum for LTE.

All bands they are using for voice today are supported in all versions of current iphone 5 for LTE use: 850 is Band 5, PCS is Band 2/25 and for Leap, AWS is Band 4. All those bands are all supported by today's iphone 5 and probably other phones but CDMA 800 is and has been supported for years so transitioning voice users to CDMA-800 should be trivial.

The rural carriers get Sprint's economy of scale and Sprint will probably even help them get their networks running and then Sprint's map will show NATIVE LTE and voice almost everywhere

Doesn't that sound easier and smoother?

I have advocated that they do the same a long time now. I have also advocated that they help the rural operators deploy 700MHz band 12. Heck if they can do that then they don't need to worry about 600 MHz spectrum.

Have you been reading any of the posts in this thread? So many people, including contributing authors, have shown that THIS IS A PRICE INCREASE.

Individual plan did increase only by $1

Look at page one of this thread.

Re: band 12, keep in mind that there's not a ton of spectrum there to play with, when you consider that AT&T has 6-12 MHz on uplink and downlink in most markets. So you end up with a patchy bunch of 5x5 channels, which isn't horrible, but you could do better in 600MHz.

More on point, Sprint's plan optimizer tool is down in anticipation of the new plans, which are mentioned by name in the status message. It says it'll be back up on the 17th. I think we've got a go date for when things are definitely live, if we didn't already.

I have advocated that they do the same a long time now. I have also advocated that they help the rural operators deploy 700MHz band 12. Heck if they can do that then they don't need to worry about 600 MHz spectrum.

How would the benefit to Sprint be worth the added cost of demanding Band 12 inclusion? Apple might force Sprint to pay extra for having its own version of the iPhone.

I think Sprint would prefer to own nationwide 5x5 600 than put their hopes on fragmented A block.

Behold your A block exclusion zones.

DTV-Channel-51-Contours1.jpg

Have you been reading any of the posts in this thread? So many people, including contributing authors, have shown that THIS IS A PRICE INCREASE.

Individual plan did increase only by $1

Look at page one of this thread.

Yes I know. It's 3+ where things increased.

Re: band 12, keep in mind that there's not a ton of spectrum there to play with, when you consider that AT&T has 6-12 MHz on uplink and downlink in most markets. So you end up with a patchy bunch of 5x5 channels, which isn't horrible, but you could do better in 600MHz.

I am of the opinion that Softy doesn't even WANT more than 5x5 600 nationwide. Thoughts?

Here's the landing page on the sprint web site about the new plans:

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop_landing.jsp?pagename=whysprint&plan=unlimited&ECID=vanity:unlimited

And this from the fine print at the bottom:

"No plan discounts apply for talk or messaging."

I guess that answers the questions about what gets discounted.  It looks to be just the data package as other people speculated. Oh, well.

Just read the first page of that FAQ and saw the question about why the discount was changing.  I love this sentence:

It aligns with our competitors' current discount structures which eases comparisons across carriers.

We're doing it for you! Lol. 

• Like 2