New Sprint Plans...Unlimited, My Way, My All-In

Paynefanbro

The headline of this thread is that these plans are to take on T-Mobile, but if someone wants 5 lines these plans are $100/mo more expensive than T-Mobile's plans.

For me, this plan would cost more money to keep what I have now.  Oh well. 

Bottom line is that price hikes are here. Enjoy the plan you have now because the next time you upgrade you'll probably required to switch to one of these.  You might get one more two year upgrade cycle, but not more than that.  Unlimited data is dead. Sigh. 

Does anyone else think that the unlimited guarantee is foreshadowing of data caps in the future, or just covering their bases for way down the line?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's definitely going to cover their asses in the future, just like the change in T and Cs about wimax.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm also seeing that these new plans are non-discountable  :o and streaming video may be limited to 1 Mbps. A lot of fine print and caveats to sort out.

Not seen 1mbps for a long time on 3G here.

• Like 3

Does anyone else think that the unlimited guarantee is foreshadowing of data caps in the future, or just covering their bases for way down the line?

Oh, no.  This is setting the stage.  This is the new "unlimited" (within limits).  Soon you'll see them implement approved content partners who are allowed to exceed the caps built in.  I'm sure sprint is hoping to sign partner deals with the likes of Netflix/Hulu/Google/etc. to allow their content to exceed the caps.  I'm pretty it's the model that every carrier is trying to establish.  

I'm also seeing that these new plans are non-discountable  :o and streaming video may be limited to 1 Mbps. A lot of fine print and caveats to sort out.

I think that only applied to the "All-In" plan.  I guess that's the equivalent of the old "Everything" plan.  That wasn't discountable either.  

The inclusion of tethering is welcome for me!I would love for tethering to be bundled with my plan. Question though: Is the 5GB of tethering shared for each lines or is it added on to each person's line in the one plan? Because if each person were to get 5GB of tethering, it would well worth the small price hike for me.

No caps for a long time.  They are giving this "guaranteed unlimited for life" as an incentive to get people to jump over to the new plans.  They know Sprint customers are here for the all you can eat buffet.  And if people are paranoid they could lose their unlimited, they'll jump to the new plans.

Robert

• Like 1

My assumption is that they're offering these new, generally higher priced plans for both new customers who like the sound of "unlimited guaranteed", and to get existing Sprint customers off the current unlimited data plans by offering guaranteed unlimited data on these new plans. It's already been hinted at a couple of times that our existing unlimited data plans will likely not be unlimited forever.

This is a massive increase for family plans.

1 - Now if you have a discount it is taken off the $50 price instead of $100 (so you now lost half your discount)

2 - It was $20 to add a line + $10 data charge. Now it is $30 for data on each line and you still have to pay between $30 and $40 to add the line. This makes an increase of $50 for 4 lines

Original plan for 2 lines was $119.99 + $20 for data (so $140)

Now it will be $50 + $40 + $30 + $30 (so $150)

3 lines were $170 now $210

4 lines were $200 now $260

If you had a 20% discount:

2 lines were $120 now $140

3 lines were $150 now $200

4 lines were $180 now $250

This is a massive increase any way you look at it. Families are getting hosed (anywhere from 20% - 40% more which is awful)

Now before people say this is for new customers only, remember what Sprint did with their last plan changes? If you wanted a new phone, you needed to change plans. I wouldn't put it past them to do that again.

• Like 3

Nah, I feel like this is meant to benefit Sprint by giving them more control over the network and making a bit of money at the same time off of new customers coming from the big two.

*is on a family plan of 5 lines and paying $240-250 a month with discount*

Yeah... I don't think so Sprint... ~$300+ for 5 lines when your network is 1/3rd finished upgrading and ATT being ~$280 and Verizon around ~$300 for almost the same plans but far superior networks.....

Gotta have to ask yourself who the hell made these plans. Sprints current leadership or Son... hmm.

• Like 3

This is a massive increase for family plans.

1 - Now if you have a discount it is taken off the $50 price instead of $100 (so you now lost half your discount)

2 - It was $20 to add a line + $10 data charge. Now it is $30 for data on each line and you still have to pay between $30 and $40 to add the line. This makes an increase of $50 for 4 lines

Original plan for 2 lines was $119.99 + $20 for data (so $140)

Now it will be $50 + $40 + $30 + $30 (so $150)

3 lines were $170 now $210

4 lines were $200 now $260

If you had a 20% discount:

2 lines were $120 now $140

3 lines were $150 now $200

4 lines were $180 now $250

This is a massive increase any way you look at it. Families are getting hosed (anywhere from 20% - 40% more which is awful)

Now before people say this is for new customers only, remember what Sprint did with their last plan changes? If you wanted a new phone, you needed to change plans. I wouldn't put it past them to do that again.

That's what every carrier does.  You might get one more upgrade cycle from Sprint before they say you have to be on one of these plans to keep it.   Did math on my currently family plan and it would cost me $30 more per month to keep the same options I have now.  I'd have to drop to 1gb on each line to keep price the same.  

That's what every carrier does.  You might get one more upgrade cycle from Sprint before they say you have to be on one of these plans to keep it.   

If so, there's not much reason left to stay with Sprint.

• Like 2

Nah, I feel like this is meant to benefit Sprint by giving them more control over the network and making a bit of money at the same time off of new customers coming from the big two.

Of course, price hikes are always meant to benefit the service provider.  They certainly don't benefit the consumer.  But now we know how they're going to finance that $16 billion in CapEx that SoftBank was talking about.  

Non discountable? If that means no employer discounts then I may never come back to Sprint unfortunately. I believe my discount @ Sprint is something like 23% and that wasn't enough to keep me on Sprint without a Triband phone to upgrade to. (I use Ting now so sort of still on Sprint). Sprint really rubbed me the wrong way by how they changed how employee discounts were calculated and caused a $5 monthly increase to my bill. 

• Like 2

Then they better not launch this for six months to a year once NV is a bit more complete (yes I know it's supposedly coming this month).

This plan would cost $310 for a 5 smartphone family plan. With Verizon, you'd get 12GB on a shared plan. Sure 12GB may not seem like much for a 5 phone family plan, but if I recall correctly, there was a study earlier this year that the average user consumed less than 2gb of data\month (obviously many of us are not average users).

Sprint is far from competing on network right now. Unlimited data only gets you so far. When you're in third place, you have to compete on price, too, and this isn't very competitive for the average joe (and not competitive at all for most users on existing Sprint plans).

• Like 2

Non discountable? If that means no employer discounts then I may never come back to Sprint unfortunately. I believe my discount @ Sprint is something like 23% and that wasn't enough to keep me on Sprint without a Triband phone to upgrade to. (I use Ting now so sort of still on Sprint). Sprint really rubbed me the wrong way by how they changed how employee discounts were calculated and caused a $5 monthly increase to my bill.

The discount comes off the data packages now. I accidentally cut off the end of the discount line, it just says discounts do not come off hotspot data add ons.

uploadfromtaptalk1373483047923.jpg

• Like 1

Then they better not launch this for six months to a year once NV is a bit more complete (yes I know it's supposedly coming this month).

This plan would cost $310 for a 5 smartphone family plan. With Verizon, you'd get 12GB on a shared plan. Sure 12GB may not seem like much for a 5 phone family plan, but if I recall correctly, there was a study earlier this year that the average user consumed less than 2gb of datamonth (obviously many of us are not average users).

Sprint is far from competing on network right now. Unlimited data only gets you so far. When you're in third place, you have to compete on price, too, and this isn't very competitive for the average joe (and not competitive at all for most users on existing Sprint plans).

I'm guessing it will start sooner than 6 months, I haven't seen a date but the training starts 7/17 so it could be soon.

If I am forced to switch to the new plan, I'd switch my family to Tmo prepaid and I'd keep one Sprint phone for rural usage.  I'm not paying $100 more per month on Sprint for 4 lines on the new plan, just for unlimited voice (which I don't use).  However, there is no need to feel the sky is falling.  These are additional plans, not required plans.  It may come to that one day.  But we're not there yet.

Robert

• Like 8

If I am forced to switch to the new plan, I'd switch my family to Tmo prepaid and I'd keep one Sprint phone for rural usage.  I'm not paying $100 more per month on Sprint for 4 lines on the new plan, just for unlimited voice (which I don't use).  However, there is no need to feel the sky is falling.  These are additional plans, not required plans.  It may come to that one day.  But we're not there yet.

Robert

That's basically how I feel - when the time comes that they force it (or start placing restrictions on existing plans that take effect upon renewal\upgrades), then it's time to start shopping again.

Unlimited voice always seems like one of those bullet points that sounds good on paper, but in reality most people hardly need it (Sprint offering unlimited to any mobile doesn't help it's case that any of us NEED unlimited voice, so maybe unlimited M2M is the first thing to go...)

For now I'm still happy with Sprint. I just wonder if this means the existing Everything Data plans go away...I generally advocate for Sprint based on unlimited data and price, and that NV is making pretty good progress in my area, but if these new plans are all that are available, it's not as easy to just say "Yes, Sprint is great for almost anyone!"

• Like 2

The discount comes off the data packages now. I accidentally cut off the end of the discount line, it just says discounts do not come off hotspot data add ons. Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So if I understand this right... for me it would be

line 1:

50+30(23% off so $23.1)

Line 2:

40+30(23% off so $23.1)

$136.2 before taxes?