Verizon Seen Owing Apple Up to $14 Billion for IPhones

Rawvega

You're just rehashing your old statistics. It does not prove that Apple has a 70% share in the U.S., either the past quarter, the past year or ever. AT&T still has not said that they are selling 80% iPhones even in the source you linked. It's not accurate. You are comparing their total iPhone activations against total sales. That's an apples to orange comparison.

You then extrapolate what is going on inaccurately at the two largest carriers across the whole country. That is also faulty logic. iPhone penetration is not above 50% nationally and likely never will. And selling 55% Verizon share for the most recent quarter sure is heck not going to get them to a 70% national share. Your deductions are stratospherically off course.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Robert,

Please reread what I claimed. 

I said:

Digiblur is, however, no more correct in stating that the market share of iPhones is dwindling--at least in the U.S.

iPhone market share has been increasing--consistently too--at all of the carriers. AT&T and Verizon now sell the iPhone at a rate of roughly 70% combined of all their smartphone sales. (and AT&T is around 80% iPhone sell-through alone).

Nowhere in there do I:

• "[E]xtrapolate what is going on inaccurately at the two largest carriers across the whole country"
  • Claim "iPhone penetration is not above 50% nationally"; or
  • Say the premium carriers are "going to get them to a 70% national share"

I simply said that at the premium carriers, AT&T and Verizon, the iPhone is making up a combined 70% of sales.

Edit: Updated: Also, should you continue to be hung up on the AT&T "activations" language:

AT&T spokesman on this issue:

"In this quarter, the number of activations from things like gifted iPhones doesn't change the math much. We aren't sharing a number, but gifted phones is a relatively small portion of total activations."

"Doesn't change the math much". There you go.

Robert,

Please reread what I claimed.

I said:

Nowhere in there do I:

• "[E]xtrapolate what is going on inaccurately at the two largest carriers across the whole country"
  • Claim "iPhone penetration is not above 50% nationally"; or
  • Say the premium carriers are "going to get them to a 70% national share"
I simply said that at the premium carriers, AT&T and Verizon, the iPhone is making up a combined 70% of sales.

Edit: Updated: Also, should you continue to be hung up on the AT&T "activations" language:

AT&T spokesman on this issue:

"Doesn't change the math much". There you go.

I don't accept your premise that activations and sales are interchangeable. Also, your quote doesn't mean anything.

The only thing I will accept from you is to provide iPhone sales number percentages from AT&T and Verizon since February 2011 for every quarter. Let's see them, and average them out. This will take the spikes right after new models and the dips. We can then see the trend and total percentages over a long period of time. It will show that to get 70% and 80% iPhone penetration numbers you have to cherry pick quarters.

Digiblur was right to call you on this. Put up the sustained data to prove your point that iPhone numbers are so grandiose. A sustained 80% market share would be the end of all other platforms. Yet, they are thriving more than ever before.

• Like 1

Apple sucks

It's comments like yours that start flame wars. Please don't do that again. You don't see me going around yelling "Android Sucks!".

Thank you.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I don't accept your premise that activations and sales are interchangeable. Also, your quote doesn't mean anything.

The only thing I will accept from you is to provide iPhone sales number percentages from AT&T and Verizon since February 2011 for every quarter. Let's see them, and average them out. This will take the spikes right after new models and the dips. We can then see the trend and total percentages over a long period of time. It will show that to get 70% and 80% iPhone penetration numbers you have to cherry pick quarters.

Digiblur was right to call you on this. Put up the sustained data to prove your point that iPhone numbers are so grandiose. A sustained 80% market share would be the end of all other platforms. Yet, they are thriving more than ever before.

Robert,

An AT&T spokesman confirmed the numbers don't change much in using activations or sales. Point resolved.

Again, reread what I said. I said they are *now* selling 70%. That means currently. I provided data covering the last 6 months of sales in detail. The last year is roughly the same.

Also, I owe you nothing for data. You have access to all the same public info that I do, and I am not going to post the confidential info that I am privy to. You do realize I'm the same person who gave the carrier market shares, right? I've got a lot more data than the average bear.

And, now you contort my statement again by saying a sustained 80% market share. I never said that either. I said 70% combined at AT&T and Verizon now. And the last 6 months of data, i.e. now, verify that.  AT&T is at 80%, now.

I'm done with this. I tried to be helpful in correcting misinformation for the benefit of this forum's readers--and both digiblur's and your main point of an overall trend downwards in iOS marketshare is demonstrably false (again: http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-iphone-us-sales-gains-latest-quarter-20130708,0,7744078.story )--but this is ridiculous. I have wasted too much time trying to explain this already, and my billable rate is far too high for this nonsense.

I hope you have a lovely rest of your day.

And to all the readers who have been following this topic, I encourage you to seek out the raw data for yourselves. It truly is interesting.

Robert,

An AT&T spokesman confirmed the numbers don't change much in using activations or sales. Point resolved.

Again, reread what I said. I said they are *now* selling 70%. That means currently. I provided data covering the last 6 months of sales in detail. The last year is roughly the same.

Also, I owe you nothing for data. You have access to all the same public info that I do, and I am not going to post the confidential info that I am privy to. You do realize I'm the same person who gave the carrier market shares, right? I've got a lot more data than the average bear.

And, now you contort my statement again by saying a sustained 80% market share. I never said that either. I said 70% combined at AT&T and Verizon now. And the last 6 months of data, i.e. now, verify that. AT&T is at 80%, now.

I'm done with this. I tried to be helpful in correcting misinformation for the benefit of this forum's readers--and both digiblur's and your main point of an overall trend downwards in iOS marketshare is demonstrably false (again: http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-iphone-us-sales-gains-latest-quarter-20130708,0,7744078.story )--but this is ridiculous. I have wasted too much time trying to explain this already, and my billable rate is far too high for this nonsense.

I hope you have a lovely rest of your day.

And to all the readers who have been following this topic, I encourage you to seek out the raw data for yourselves. It truly is interesting.

I too encourage them to seek the data themselves. You do owe me, since you came into my forums and claimed that AT&T and Verizon now sell the iPhone at 70%. Then you cite an AT&T article that you cannot get a firm percentage on and give a link to a Verizon article that says they are selling them at 55% currently.

So Verizon does not NOW sell them at 70% as you claimed, nor have they ever averaged 70% since February 2011 in any year. The best you have shown was a past quarter where they once almost hit that. But your language that was challenged is "now." You're initial comment is inaccurate and your cited data proves that.

Just admit your were over zealous in your initial claim and we can then get down to what's accurate. If you don't want to defend yourself, that's fine. But the bottom line is your original premise that AT&T and Verizon sells the iPhone at 70% now has already been disproven by your links. Verizon now sells at 55% and AT&T cannot be determined on the info you've provided.

• Like 3

I too encourage them to seek the data themselves. You do owe me, since you came into my forums and claimed that AT&T and Verizon now sell the iPhone at 70%. Then you cite an AT&T article that you cannot get a firm percentage on and give a link to a Verizon article that says they are selling them at 55% currently.

So Verizon does not NOW sell them at 70% as you claimed, nor have they ever averaged 70% since February 2011 in any year. The best you have shown was a past quarter where they once almost hit that. But your language that was challenged is "now." You're initial comment is inaccurate and your cited data proves that.

Just admit your were over zealous in your initial claim and we can then get down to what's accurate. If you don't want to defend yourself, that's fine. But the bottom line is your original premise that AT&T and Verizon sells the iPhone at 70% now has already been disproven by your links. Verizon now sells at 55% and AT&T cannot be determined on the info you've provided.

Okay, I thankfully am going into a meeting so I can't see this anymore.

But, I said "combined". That means between the two. Not that each sell 70%. It means together.

If A sold 0% and B sold 90%, and each moved 10 units, combined they would be 45%.

Combined. Now. Both words that I said originally and that matter.

Edit: Thanks to all those who sent me PMs on HoFo. Much love to you all.

Okay, I thankfully am going into a meeting so I can't see this anymore.

But, I said "combined". That means between the two. Not that each sell 70%. It means together.

If A sold 0% and B sold 90%, and each moved 10 units, combined they would be 45%.

Combined. Now. Both words that I said originally and that matter.

Edit: Thanks to all those who sent me PMs on HoFo. Much love to you all.

Trying to average AT&T and Verizon together does not work. That is a bizarre concept. Especially since the AT&T number cannot even be determined based on the link you provided.

I have never heard of just cherry picking two carriers and then one quarter, trying to come up with an average between them and trying to prove some sort of trend out of that. It's not done by anyone. Not even Apple.

• Like 7

Here is something to think about. Just using round numbers. VZW has 90 million subs. AT&T has 100 million subs. VZW sold 4.1 million iphones for the quarter and AT&T sold 6 million for the quarter. What I want to know from the numbers is where the heck is 70 percent coming from? Unless it is 70 percent from previous numbers which does not make it a gain, makes it a loss.

• Like 1

Here is something to think about. Just using round numbers. VZW has 90 million subs. AT&T has 100 million subs. VZW sold 4.1 million iphones for the quarter and AT&T sold 6 million for the quarter. What I want to know from the numbers is where the heck is 70 percent coming from? Unless it is 70 percent from previous numbers which does not make it a gain, makes it a loss.

I think the troll was trying to say % of just smart phone users, but was using some very fuzzy logic/math to make his case.  I had the same thought when initially reading the thread

I think the troll was trying to say % of just smart phone users, but was using some very fuzzy logic/math to make his case. I had the same thought when initially reading the thread

Yeah I see your point. Thing is some people think and don't add up the numbers from the big picture.

Not nice calling someone a troll when you don't know the person. Be like me calling you a noob smacktard.

Noob smacktard? Lol! That's a new one! Haha

• Like 1

Not nice calling someone a troll when you don't know the person. Be like me calling you a noob smacktard.

Based on the thread posts, the responses, etc, I think troll fits nicely.  Arguing with the resident experts, the forum owner, insiders, etc. is not the smartest decision.  Rehashing the same incorrect data, after being told it is incorrect is pretty much trolling.

You can call me a newb smacktard if you want, but you'd be wrong and I'd call you out on it :)

• Like 2

Noob smacktard? Lol! That's a new one! Haha

I changed it. I guess you see that I game a lot. Hey 1 good way to get rid of stress is to hop on bf3 and kill people with out having to go to jail for it.

I changed it. I guess you see that I game a lot. Hey 1 good way to get rid of stress is to hop on bf3 and kill people with out having to go to jail for it.

Did you think I was calling you a troll?  Naw, I was talking about newyork4me

• Like 1

Yeah I did because I'm still half asleep from driving up to Elizabeth NJ, and getting to sleep after getting home at 5am, now I'm going into work again in a little bit. Haven't had my coffee yet.

• Like 2

Haven't had my coffee yet.

AJ

• Like 1

You can't expect the majority of the population to be informed.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah, you can hardly get them to install a custom rom, and then not being able to make a simple call, for god's sake! Those idiots :).

I mean all the care about is rock solid reliability, very good RF and battery life from a pretty slim form! What fun is that! 

Android custom roms rock, dude!

Edited by bigsnake49

*yawn*

Only DigiROM for the Note 2. :P

• Like 1

They do, but they're definitely not for the average consumer. I also don't quite see what this has to do with this thread...

*yawn*

Only DigiROM for the Note 2. :P

Of course this is from somebody (me)that used to build custom antenna amps for AMPS phones to juice their output.