All Sprint acquisition discussion (was "Japan's Softbank in talks for $12.8 bln Sprint stake")

kckid

Supposedly SoftBank was trying to do this since this summer. It was originally planned to be a merge of DT's T-Mobile USA and Sprint, then SoftBank would've had a majority stake in the combined entity, in which DT would have an minority(in which they could sell as wanted).

DT bailed due to Anti-trust concerns.

http://video.cnbc.co...ideo=3000121813

Now that is very interesting...

• Like 1

Supposedly SoftBank was trying to do this since this summer. It was originally planned to be a merge of DT's T-Mobile USA and Sprint, then SoftBank would've had a majority stake in the combined entity, in which DT would have an minority(in which they could sell as wanted).

DT bailed due to Anti-trust concerns.

http://video.cnbc.co...ideo=3000121813

So do we think that Sprint's Board met last week to talk about a counter offer for MetroPCS? Maybe they were meeting to decide whether to go forward with the SoftBank deal without TMo and D-T? The metro deal provided good cover.

So do we think that Sprint's Board met last week to talk about a counter offer for MetroPCS? Maybe they were meeting to decide whether to go forward with the SoftBank deal without TMo and D-T? The metro deal provided good cover.

Or maybe they decided to go through with the softbank deal then just buy tmobile and metro pcs afterwards, now that would be funny.

While my initial reaction was "this strengthens competition in the US wireless market, it should be a piece of cake to approval wise".... I'm skeptical that Newco or ATT, at a minimum, won't try to raise regulatory concerns about the transaction.

While my initial reaction was "this strengthens competition in the US wireless market, it should be a piece of cake to approval wise".... I'm skeptical that Newco or ATT, at a minimum, won't try to raise regulatory concerns about the transaction.

I'm sure they'll voice objections about why it shouldn't go through. They're just not going to going to have any ammo to actually stop it.

• Like 1

OK. Craig Moffett sounds against it. That's enough for me. I'm for it now.

It's kind of like Satan. If he takes a side, you know the other side is correct by default.

:devilangel:

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Who is this guy? He sounds like a nutcase.

I really hope Sprint doesn't accept this offer, if anything, I want Sprint to buy them out, haha. But in all seriousness. I want them to focus on NV and not a buyout. Also I have no clue if this will impact the "Unlimited" Data issue. I have been 100% with Sprint until this came out, now I'm 60% and if they lose Unlimited Data off to AT&T or Verzion.

Edited by nocturnal
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I would worry about this too much. It'll give Sprint much needed capital and I believe that at the end of the day they will remain independent of SoftBank. Much like Verizon Wireless is largely independent of Vodafone.

I really hope Sprint doesn't accept this offer, if anything, I want Sprint to buy them out, haha. But in all seriousness. I want them to focus on NV and not a buyout. Also I have no clue if this will impact the "Unlimited" Data issue. I have been 100% with Sprint until this came out, now I'm 60% and if they lose Unlimited Data off to AT&T or Verzion.

Just a quick check of SoftBank's web site shows they too offer unlimited data service in Japan.

• Like 3

Nothing lasts forever, buy out or not once(or if) sprint completes their nv build out, I am fairly certain the unlimited data would go away anyway but I guess it also depends on what the market is like at that time.

Nothing lasts forever, buy out or not once(or if) sprint completes their nv build out, I am fairly certain the unlimited data would go away anyway but I guess it also depends on what the market is like at that time.

With T-Mobile USA offering it back, it shows that it attracts customers, I would say it will last forever as long as Sprint plays a role as the 2nd or 3rd player. It's the only thing that attracts customers to them over AT&T and Verizon. And I'm sure Sprint will never replace them as being top dogs.

Edited by nocturnal

This deal is equity to avoid regulatory concerns. It's all about giving Sprint ammo to go after spectrum and smaller companies; they're in an OK position to execute on NV and become profitable but the acquisition wave is coming too soon for them to be ready to take advantage and once that spectrum's gone it ain't coming back. Sprint obviously wants the Clearwire spectrum back in-house and wants (needs) the MetroPCS spectrum.

I predict Sprint will bid for MetroPCS as a result of their strengthened position, or possibly try to merge with T-mobile. I also predict a wave of Sprint acquisitions of regional players, which will pass regulatory muster with the idea that Sprint needs to stay competitive with VZW/ATT. Also look to have them buy out the other Clearwire stakeholders and fold that back in. The result will be a company very well positioned to make the wireless landscape competitive again. The NV platform gives them an easy path to tack on spectrum and the new fiber backbones mean no growing pains. If they can't do one or the other of these deals, look for them to attempt to buy Dish' spectrum or even buy Dish itself. Having learned the lessons of Nextel, look for them to switch over to hosting on their own towers ASAP. They might also finish NV ahead of schedule and look to roll out new towers for expanded coverage.

Why does Softbank want to do this deal? They see the coming wave of mergers/acquisitions. They've been interested in investing in the US for some time and Sprint is relatively cheap right now, has a good platform rolling out, carries the iPhone, and is currently adding customers... things that don't apply to Tmobile. If they can't have Tmobile + Sprint, they'd rather grab Sprint then snatch up the smaller players like US Cellular, Shentel, Leap, etc. Basically they want to buy for the same reason I bought shares when Sprint announced they would carry the iPhone and S dropped to sub-3.00.... because it was a great value and lots of room to profit. For various reasons, Softbank is unlikely to get the same kind of return only investing in Japan.

• Like 4

Continuing with the network vision roll out takes capital. Capital is something that Sprint does not have unlimited access to. Their ability to get capital is probably what is setting the rollout schedule of network vision more than anything else. If this deal gives them greater access to more capital so that they can speed the network vision deployment out much more aggressively then I think customers win in the end.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

With T-Mobile USA offering it back, it shows that it attracts customers, I would say it will last forever as long as Sprint plays a role as the 2nd or 3rd player. It's the only thing that attracts customers to them over AT&T and Verizon. And I'm sure Sprint will never replace them as being top dogs.

T-mobile is a bad example since they have been bleeding customers regardless of what they try to do. As far as sprint, they could easily offer a tiered plan similar to att/verizon while at the same time undercutting their pricing structure where sprint could still be seen as valued added alternative. NV has to be paid for at some point, once the network gets up to par with the big 2 then sprint can justify a price increase since they will have the network to back it up. I definitely don't want to lose unlimited data but its coming so there is no use in trying to fool myself when it comes to something thats inevitable.

I should hope not. Softbank Mobile has one of the most absurd names in wireless, the equivalent of something like Bank of America Wireless or US Bank Mobile.

AJ

To expand on this, maybe more random corporations should buy into wireless. Chrysler Cellular? Frito-Lay Mobility? Before you know it, even some electrical utility company in the South would have its own wireless division.

;)

AJ

It's not as strange as one might think... The S-P-R in Sprint means Southern Pacific Railroad.. lol

Edited by Celz
  • Like 2

I should hope not. Softbank Mobile has one of the most absurd names in wireless, the equivalent of something like Bank of America Wireless or US Bank Mobile.

AJ

To expand on this, maybe more random corporations should buy into wireless. Chrysler Cellular? Frito-Lay Mobility? Before you know it, even some electrical utility company in the South would have its own wireless division.

;)

AJ

I just can't resist mentioning where Sprint got it's original (acronym) name: Southern Pacific Railroad Intercontinental Network of Telecommunications. :D

They initially used their railroad right-of-way to install cable runs, and were still known as Southern Pacific Communications (SPC) when as a Bell System engineer I first started interfacing with them...

• Like 2

As long as SoftBank brings their Hello Kitty Android phone to the US, I'm all for it. http://mb.softbank.jp/en/products/sharp/831sh_kt.html Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After looking through their phones,I see why they need the handset buying power of sprint.Good god some of those phones are 4 years old.

After looking through their phones,I see why they need the handset buying power of sprint.Good god some of those phones are 4 years old.

Yes, lest anyone think that Softbank Mobile is some Japanese telecom powerhouse, it has long been the #3 player in the Japanese market. Whether Softbank or predecessors Vodafone KK and J-Phone, it has been behind NTT DoCoMo and KDDI. Only with its recent decision to acquire competitor eMobile has Softbank surpassed KDDI -- just barely. Even then, Softbank is the size of T-Mobile USA, significantly smaller than Sprint because the Japanese market is relatively small sashimi.

AJ

• Like 2

This deal is equity to avoid regulatory concerns. It's all about giving Sprint ammo to go after spectrum and smaller companies; they're in an OK position to execute on NV and become profitable but the acquisition wave is coming too soon for them to be ready to take advantage and once that spectrum's gone it ain't coming back. Sprint obviously wants the Clearwire spectrum back in-house and wants (needs) the MetroPCS spectrum.

I predict Sprint will bid for MetroPCS as a result of their strengthened position, or possibly try to merge with T-mobile. I also predict a wave of Sprint acquisitions of regional players, which will pass regulatory muster with the idea that Sprint needs to stay competitive with VZW/ATT. Also look to have them buy out the other Clearwire stakeholders and fold that back in. The result will be a company very well positioned to make the wireless landscape competitive again. The NV platform gives them an easy path to tack on spectrum and the new fiber backbones mean no growing pains. If they can't do one or the other of these deals, look for them to attempt to buy Dish' spectrum or even buy Dish itself. Having learned the lessons of Nextel, look for them to switch over to hosting on their own towers ASAP. They might also finish NV ahead of schedule and look to roll out new towers for expanded coverage.

Why does Softbank want to do this deal? They see the coming wave of mergers/acquisitions. They've been interested in investing in the US for some time and Sprint is relatively cheap right now, has a good platform rolling out, carries the iPhone, and is currently adding customers... things that don't apply to Tmobile. If they can't have Tmobile + Sprint, they'd rather grab Sprint then snatch up the smaller players like US Cellular, Shentel, Leap, etc. Basically they want to buy for the same reason I bought shares when Sprint announced they would carry the iPhone and S dropped to sub-3.00.... because it was a great value and lots of room to profit. For various reasons, Softbank is unlikely to get the same kind of return only investing in Japan.

This may be a little off-topic but here's a thought. If softbank can buy Sprint, MetroPCS, and LEAP they would have AWS licenses to roll out a nationwide 5x5 LTE carrier. Just a thought. Oh and if this ends up somehow buying USCC too that would be great assuming Softbank keeps unlimited and commits to a large scale build out.