All Sprint acquisition discussion (was "Japan's Softbank in talks for $12.8 bln Sprint stake")

kckid

In all of this, I just want to know what Craig Moffett thinks. His opinion matters so much to me. I don't think I can rest until I hear what he has to say.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/softbank-of-japan-said-to-near-a-deal-for-control-of-sprint/

Craig Moffett, an analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein, said it was too early to draw conclusions about what a deal between Sprint and SoftBank would result in. He said a majority investment from SoftBank would just be a play to scoop up spectrum, the radio waves that carry wireless services, as if it were real estate. Still, it made little sense, he said.

“There are no synergies whatsoever in a Japanese company buying a US telecom operator,” he said. “This is tantamount to Japanese buyers buying Rockefeller Center.”

“Unless they simply think they’re investing in U.S. real estate, and it happens to be electromagnetic real estate that they’re buying, this is not a merger with anybody,” he said. “This is just somebody coming in and buying Sprint stock.”

• Like 4

If it happens, would the big two fight this in any significant fashion?

On what grounds? This would be an equity investment, not an acquisition. And it would have no effect on competition in the US market.

AJ

• Like 2

Cutting off 10 more UHF TV channels 40-51 would generate about 80-90MHz in the 600MHz spectrum. Getting 20 or 30 Mhz of that would be stellar, but very expensive

I believe the channels are 6mhz wide, not sure if they have gaps in between or not.

The OTA channel spectrum is mess with how the digital conversion was handled and setup. Especially in the Northeast. Some people may think it is a waste and just kill it all but it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Too many people watch it and rely on. You would be surprised that many cable companies and satellite companies use the OTA feed for their system. Much cheaper to put up a tuner and an antenna to catch that 19 megabit feed instead of paying for fiber every month.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Are you a wireless enthusiast or an investor? Can we stop with the "acquire the regional carriers" broken record? Sprint does not need native coverage in rural Nebraska.

28181838.jpg

AJ

If USCC can make money providing wireless service in rural Nebraska then Sprint can as well (of course after they acquire USCC). Why are you so selfish:)?

Did you know that Sprint's roaming bill was $1B in 2010 or 2011. Anything that will reduce that bill, I'm all for it.

I am a definitely a wireless enthusiast.

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express

I don't know what grounds there would be to fight it? It's not eliminating a competitor. In fact it would probably make one stronger. If it was a Chinese cellular company I could see arguments about national security being made. I don't think we have any fear of the japanese taking over right?

I doubt it. How could Verizon say anything when VZW is 45% owned by Vodafone? T-Mobile (and soon possibly MetroPCS) is owned by a German corporation. I don't see how they could object. Now if this were China Mobile instead of SoftBank, that might be a different story...

I don't think we have any fear of the japanese taking over right?

Softbank hopes to close the 75 percent acquisition deal on December 7.

AJ

• Like 1

In all of this, I just want to know what Craig Moffett thinks. His opinion matters so much to me. I don't think I can rest until I hear what he has to say.

You forgot Roger Entner:).

On what grounds? This would be an equity investment, not an acquisition. And it would have no effect on competition in the US market.

AJ

We're talking about buying up 2/3 of the Company. I don't think Softbank would pump in that kind of money and then say do whatever you want. They're going to want control. If this does go through I'll be interested to see if Hesse stays on to run the U.S. operations (formerly Sprint-Nextel).

Did you know that Sprint's roaming bill was $1B in 2010 or 2011.

Net or gross? Do not neglect the roaming revenue that Sprint booked. As long as roaming costs and roaming revenue strike a reasonable balance, Sprint has little need to expand its footprint. And I would wager a strong bet that acquisition of USCC's footprint would make barely a dent in Sprint's roaming costs. Plus, all of the roaming revenue garnered from USCC would suddenly go away.

AJ

• Like 1

OK. Craig Moffett sounds against it. That's enough for me. I'm for it now.

It's kind of like Satan. If he takes a side, you know the other side is correct by default.

:devilangel:

• Like 12

We're talking about buying up 2/3 of the Company. I don't think Softbank would pump in that kind of money and then say do whatever you want. They're going to want control. If this does go through I'll be interested to see if Hesse stays on to run the U.S. operations (formerly Sprint-Nextel).

I think that you missed the point. On what grounds could VZW, AT&T, and/or T-Mobile object to the deal? My take: other carriers would have little, if any standing to oppose an equity investment.

AJ

Softbank hopes to close the 75 percent acquisition deal on December 7.

AJ

Holy moly! That's fast!!!

You forgot Roger Entner:).

Ahh yes. I did. He has been flying under my radar lately. I bet is calling Randall now to find out what his opinion should be on the subject. :hee:

I meant in the 80s the japanese are taking over the world sense.

The joke requires thinking even 40 years earlier than that.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

I would be curious to see the details of roaming on areas. I am sure they get reported by tower or something like that as I did see some numbers way back but didn't understand their metrics used.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Holy moly! That's fast!!!

Like flying torpedo, Kamikaze fast...

;)

AJ

• Like 1

I was just thinking that since VZW and AT&T have both received large foreign investment in the past, if for whatever reason they would try to this(maybe indirectly if in a case that SoftBank also acquired Clearwire, they might be blocked from future spectrum auctions).

I think that you missed the point. On what grounds could VZW, AT&T, and/or T-Mobile object to the deal? My take: other carriers would have little, if any standing to oppose an equity investment.

AJ

I agree with your point. They have nothing to block the deal on. My point is just that this is more than pumping money into the company.

Supposedly SoftBank was trying to do this since this summer. It was originally planned to be a merge of DT's T-Mobile USA and Sprint, then SoftBank would've had a majority stake in the combined entity, in which DT would have an minority(in which they could sell as wanted).

DT bailed due to Anti-trust concerns.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000121813