All Sprint acquisition discussion (was "Japan's Softbank in talks for $12.8 bln Sprint stake")

kckid

I believe that our resident RF expert was being facetious while making a Pearl Harbor reference. :rofl:

Yep, just checking to see if Robert was fully awake yet...

AJ

• Like 2

Just general expectations.... the japanese will come in with high expectations and even more stringent goal driving... I would think they might decide to invest even more $$ into nv to get even more crews on the ground working at the same time.

I also cant see them transitioning away from cdma for the time being. The roaming synergies are too broad.

The name? Well, when they acquired vodaphone japan they changed the name to softbank mobile. I dont think they would use a name like that here, but i could see them coming up with a whole new name , investing in the network, and taking a go as an "all new wireless option"

Just general expectations.... the japanese will come in with high expectations and even more stringent goal driving... I would think they might decide to invest even more $$ into nv to get even more crews on the ground working at the same time.

I also cant see them transitioning away from cdma for the time being. The roaming synergies are too broad.

The name? Well, when they acquired vodaphone japan they changed the name to softbank mobile. I dont think they would use a name like that here, but i could see them coming up with a whole new name , investing in the network, and taking a go as an "all new wireless option"

Great post. I've thought for a while that a name change could be in order. There may just be too much negative inertia associated with the name "Sprint". The Softbank name wouldn't fly here I don't think, but something snazzy all new could be just what the doctor ordered. This could be that "sugar daddy" that you've been advocating for, for a while now. :tu:

Network Vision equipment supports UMTS and HSPA+, am I right? Not that Sprint needs it...they don't. Still, if Softbank eventually wanted to acquire the majority of NewCo and then merge the two, that would be a nice luxury to have.

Clearwire would never be nationwide, but if this combines Sprint and Clearwire, then devices can be properly configured to hit the high bandwidth 2600Mhz LTE-A carriers first, then 1900Mhz, finally 800Mhz. Since Sprint wouldn't be paying on used bandwidth contract.

I think it would be great for Sprint and Clearwire to be under the same roof, so to speak. Get everybody on the same page and turn things from combative to cooperative.

Why not nationwide though? If Softbank thinks that with Sprint and Clearwire's combined spectrum that they can effectively take on at&t and VZW, what if they were to come in and say, "The way you're proceeding is silly with two separate buildouts. In addition to any stand-alone Clearwire sites, let's also throw 2.5GHz TD-LTE on all of the nearly 39K Sprint sites that are already getting a truck roll due to Network Vision anyway."

That could be be a game changer imo.

• Like 4

I actually think that they'll give the SoftBank name a go here.

I believe in Otousan(SoftBank's mascot).

Meh...it may be an over generalization on my part, but what markets well to Japanese audiences typically doesn't to American audiences.

• Like 2

I think it would be great for Sprint and Clearwire to be under the same roof, so to speak. Get everybody on the same page and turn things from combative to cooperative.

Why not nationwide though? If Softbank thinks that with Sprint and Clearwire's combined spectrum that they can effectively take on at&t and VZW, what if they were to come in and say, "The way you're proceeding is silly with two separate buildouts. In addition to any stand-alone Clearwire sites, let's also throw 2.5GHz TD-LTE on all of the nearly 39K Sprint sites that are already getting a truck roll due to Network Vision anyway."

That could be be a game changer imo.

PCS Tower spacing would never create a nationwide BRS network. I think you'd need to increase the towers be 50% to be able to come close to 100% BRS

Network Vision equipment supports UMTS and HSPA+, am I right? Not that Sprint needs it...they don't. Still, if Softbank eventually wanted to acquire the majority of NewCo and then merge the two, that would be a nice luxury to have.

Well an investment by Softbank doesn't alter Sprint/Clearwire's spectrum position at all. Like everyone else, they'll eventually need more. That leads me to think that even if this does go through, there may be an additional play(s) down the road.

PCS Tower spacing would never create a nationwide BRS network. I think you'd need to increase the towers be 50% to be able to come close to 100% BRS

I think it's a hell of alot more than that actually. You would wind up having islands of super fast service while being mostly served by 800/1900.

• Like 1

Great post. I've thought for a while that a name change could be in order. There may just be too much negative inertia associated with the name "Sprint". The Softbank name wouldn't fly here I don't think' date=' but something snazzy all new could be just what the doctor ordered. This could be that "sugar daddy" that you've been advocating for, for a while now. :tu:[/quote']

I agree, the sprint name has more than a decade of major wireless presence and plenty of negative feeling in the minds of many american consumers. There are people who tried sprint 10 years ago and to this day, wont give them a chance.

Thanks for remembering my "sugar daddy" rants !! Lightsquared was so close to being just that.. i wanted to say this earlier but damn i was a little fearful of jinxing it.

Yes, you would certainly need addition cell sites to fill in, but nearly 39K sites would be an impressive opening salvo. It doesn't make sense right now because though Sprint is the majority holder in Clearwire, they remain two separate companies, with two goals that aren't 100% aligned. If ownership were consolidated, with one goal and vision, there should be some synergies there and as mentioned they're going to be touching every cell site anyway, so why not?

But there is not necessarily a need to go 100%, even with current tower spacing and 2.5 on every one of them, that would be a magnificent increase in capacity.. leaving the lower frequencies available for the more distant connections.

• Like 5

But there is not necessarily a need to go 100%, even with current tower spacing and 2.5 on every one of them, that would be a magnificent increase in capacity.. leaving the lower frequencies available for the more distant connections.

Exactly!

I own shares in both Sprint and Clearwire and pre-market value is skyrocketing on both stocks. Clearwire will be part of the acquisition as well. Just announced on CNBC.. http://online.wsj.co..._LEFTTopStories

ugh, i don't know if i should hold onto my shares or sell them now! :scratch:

Same here, I am holding on to my shares for sure. Prices will continue to increase, so just keep monitoring it or at least set a goal and once you get to that goal then sell.

To expand on this, maybe more random corporations should buy into wireless. Chrysler Cellular? Frito-Lay Mobility? Before you know it, even some electrical utility company in the South would have its own wireless division.

;)

AJ

LMAO, now that was funny as hell.

This is the South that we are talking about. That would be Lipton Sweet-T-Mobile.

AJ

I just brewed myself some lipton sweet-t last just last night, I love living in the south.

Great post. I've thought for a while that a name change could be in order. There may just be too much negative inertia associated with the name "Sprint". The Softbank name wouldn't fly here I don't think, but something snazzy all new could be just what the doctor ordered. This could be that "sugar daddy" that you've been advocating for, for a while now. :tu:

You mention sprint and its an immediate negative response most of the time. I think if this goes through then a name change is in order so consumers can regain their confidence.

EDIT: YAY, this is my 1000th post on s4gru.

• Like 5

The new name will be Splint. A new name for Americans but the same pronunciation for the Japanese.

:P

AJ

• Like 10

The new name will be Splint. A new name for Americans but the same pronunciation for the Japanese.

AJ

LMAOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats just so wrong. I am laughing so hard, I got me here crying.

• Like 2

I had some double or nothing $5 sprint jan calls that sold at open for over double. :D

Still holding on to my sprint and clwr stock for now though. :ninja:

AJ

Best post of the entire thread!

(Mental image of dan hesse sitting at a boardroom table with Son on a speakerphone , ranting )

• Like 1