All Sprint acquisition discussion (was "Japan's Softbank in talks for $12.8 bln Sprint stake")

kckid

Why would there need to be technical compatibility for this to make sense? If it is a financial investment does technical compatibility really matter? If they see a chance to make a diversified financial investment in another country, can acquire a financially struggling carrier at a good price but a carrier that seems to have a strong plan for technical improvement, then why not? I don't see technical compatibility between the two countries to be an issue at all. Unlike a domestic merger where the goal is consolidation, increased leverage with suppliers, and cost reductions on the overhead side, this deal would seem to be all about an ROI on investment.

Because part of the stated rationale is that this allows them to attain better scale for product purchases and networking equipment. I would think that's only a reasonable assumption if there is some commonality between the two (or three) companies.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/10/11/us-sprint-softbank-idUKBRE89A0I520121011

Japanese media said buying Sprint - which competes in the United States against Verizon Wireless (VZ.N) (VOD.L) and AT&T Inc (T.N) - would make it cheaper for Softbank to procure smartphones and other mobile devices.

Because part of the stated rationale is that this allows them to attain better scale for product purchases and networking equipment. I would think that's only a reasonable assumption if there is some commonality between the two (or three) companies.

http://uk.reuters.co...E89A0I520121011

So spend 12B to save how much lol ?

Is it that they just want a pressence in this market? Sprint should take note of Verizon and Vodafone relationship and how they can't get rid of each other.

So far VZW is working well for them. I'm sure Verizon and Vodafone would like to have 100% of the pie for themselves but it's made them a boat load of money.

I'm sure Sprint would be happy to have a similar problem.

• Like 1

I should hope not. Softbank Mobile has one of the most absurd names in wireless, the equivalent of something like Bank of America Wireless or US Bank Mobile.

To expand on this, maybe more random corporations should buy into wireless. Chrysler Cellular? Frito-Lay Mobility? Before you know it, even some electrical utility company in the South would have its own wireless division.

;)

AJ

• Like 13

To expand on this, maybe more random corporations should buy into wireless. Chrysler Cellular? Frito-Lay Mobility? Before you know it, even some electrical utility company in the South would have its own wireless division.

;)

AJ

Southern Comfort link?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

It's great news. I hope they combine Sprint and Clearwire and stop this blame game split spectrum nonsense. Finally we might get nationwide Clearwire coverage including all the planned towers that Clearwire was supposed to build in the San Diego market.

• Like 1

So spend 12B to save how much lol ?

It might be a small savings in volume, but it could be a huge savings in leverage. Getting deals done when you add on the millions and millions of cell phones that are sold via Sprint create an incentive to get better deals or get custom devices made, etc.

It's great news. I hope they combine Sprint and Clearwire and stop this blame game split spectrum nonsense. Finally we might get nationwide Clearwire coverage including all the planned towers that Clearwire was supposed to build in the San Diego market.

Clearwire would never be nationwide, but if this combines Sprint and Clearwire, then devices can be properly configured to hit the high bandwidth 2600Mhz LTE-A carriers first, then 1900Mhz, finally 800Mhz. Since Sprint wouldn't be paying on used bandwidth contract.

• Like 1

Clearwire would never be nationwide, but if this combines Sprint and Clearwire, then devices can be properly configured to hit the high bandwidth 2600Mhz LTE-A carriers first, then 1900Mhz, finally 800Mhz. Since Sprint wouldn't be paying on used bandwidth contract.

Well the nationwide part was just a thought. I'm really just concerned about the towers that they had approved in my area but didn't build because they ran out of cash. Selfish me.

If they do combine Sprint and Clearwire, I hope they eliminate all this mess and it leads to a more rational approach to network design. I still think that Clearwire's spectrum is really better suited to fixed or at least nomadic devices and networks Maybe Sprint can even do a spectrum exchange with Dish. 40Mhz of Dish spectrum for 80Mhz of Clearwire spectrum. I still want them to acquire USCC, Leap and Metro, sell/exchnage AWS spectrum to T-Mobile and strengthen their PCS holdings. I also want them to be in the market for any sub 700MHz spectrum that becomes available.

• Like 3

Well the nationwide part was just a thought. I'm really just concerned about the towers that they had approved in my area but didn't build because they ran out of cash. Selfish me.

So myopically focused. For shame! Think of the big picture. Take one for the team! :hah:

Just kidding, of course.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

If they do combine Sprint and Clearwire, I hope they eliminate all this mess and it leads to a more rational approach to network design. I still think that Clearwire's spectrum is really better suited to fixed or at least nomadic devices and networks Maybe Sprint can even do a spectrum exchange with Dish. 40Mhz of Dish spectrum for 80Mhz of Clearwire spectrum. I still want them to acquire USCC, Leap and Metro, sell/exchnage AWS spectrum to T-Mobile and strengthen their PCS holdings. I also want them to be in the market for any sub 700MHz spectrum that becomes available.

Cutting off 10 more UHF TV channels 40-51 would generate about 80-90MHz in the 600MHz spectrum. Getting 20 or 30 Mhz of that would be stellar, but very expensive

As pointed out above, a Clearwire combination would allow for a more cohesive, integrated and better planned multi modal network that includes EBS/BRS. So there could be advantages.

But I'm concerned with disadvantages. If Sprint stumbles or slows down any network improvements because they get focused on the buyout, then customers will dump Sprint in droves and go to Tmo. If they do something stupid like dump CDMA, then I may go too.

Also, someone asked why Softbank just buy out Clearwire if that was their intended target with 2600 assets. Well, no one can buy out Clearwire without Sprint shares. And no one can buy out the minority stake in Clearwire, because Sprint has first right of refusal. To buy out Clearwire, you have to get Sprint on board. I'm not suggesting this is what is going on. However, Sprint is an obstacle to anyone wanting Clearwire.

My head is spinning. I did not see this coming.

At least if Softbank does buy out Sprint and they change the name (which would be foolish), then we could still be S4GRU. At least they both start with S! I knew the optimist would come out in me.

• Like 12

I would be happy if Clear would just upgrade the WiMax protection sites to LTE protection sites. My ultimate wish would be for the top 150 metropolitan areas getting coverage. Not talking the suburbs, just the high traffic/high population areas.

• Like 2

Cutting off 10 more UHF TV channels 40-51 would generate about 80-90MHz in the 600MHz spectrum. Getting 20 or 30 Mhz of that would be stellar, but very expensive

Remember also that due to the asymmetric nature of data consumption, we no longer need symmetric FDD spectrum allocation.

I still want them to acquire USCC, Leap and Metro, sell/exchnage AWS spectrum to T-Mobile and strengthen their PCS holdings.

Are you a wireless enthusiast or an investor? Can we stop with the "acquire the regional carriers" broken record? Sprint does not need native coverage in rural Nebraska.

28181838.jpg

AJ

• Like 3

Lipton Iced-T-Mobile?

This is the South that we are talking about. That would be Lipton Sweet-T-Mobile.

AJ

• Like 8

And we now have official confirmation of deal talks from Sprint.

http://blogs.wsj.com...r/?mod=yahoo_hsc

Sprint Confirms Discussions with Softbank on a Possible Transaction

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), October 11, 2012 – Sprint (NYSE: S) today confirmed that it is currently engaged in discussions with Softbank regarding a potential substantial investment by Softbank in Sprint. Although there can be no assurances that these discussions will result in any transaction or on what terms any transaction may occur, such a transaction could involve a change of control of Sprint. Sprint does not intend to comment further unless and until an agreement is reached.

Edit: I see several of you had the same idea. lol.

Remember also that due to the asymmetric nature of data consumption, we no longer need symmetric FDD spectrum allocation.

Agreed, that is why LTE-A is great. In 40Mhz of 600Mhz spectrum do 2 carriers of 15Mhz x 5Mhz. Huge coverage/penetration, large down stream pipe, regular upstream pipe. Drool...

In all of this, I just want to know what Craig Moffett thinks. His opinion matters so much to me. I don't think I can rest until I hear what he has to say.

• Like 11