Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

Why is Sprint's signal less strong on sensorly? T-Mobile looks much stronger.

It often is. Tmo sites are operating at full strength after optimization. Sprint is just going back to optimize now and turns sites up to full design power (or sometimes better). Also, in places where Tmo is running a wider channel than Sprint, the signal will be stronger a little further. But only in one direction.

At the edge, it can be problematic to have a site broadcasting too high of power, because the signal may reach your device, but your device cannot get a signal back to the tower. A one way signal is unusable. That's why optimization of power levels is very important and needs to be precise.

Sprint will only be better than Tmo signal strength on B26. Otherwise, it will be the same or less.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

It often is. Tmo sites are operating at full strength after optimization. Sprint is just going back to optimize now and turns sites up to full design power (or sometimes better). Also, in places where Tmo is running a wider channel than Sprint, the signal will be stronger a little further. But only in one direction.

At the edge, it can be problematic to have a site broadcasting too high of power, because the signal may reach your device, but your device cannot get a signal back to the tower. A one way signal is unusable. That's why optimization of power levels is very important and needs to be precise.

Sprint will only be better than Tmo signal strength on B26. Otherwise, it will be the same or less.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Is there a time table for Sprint to complete optimizations? Is there a market in the U.S. that has been fully rebuild and is working at best levels? I see this in LA that I am still dropping back to 3G at times and it seems like an eternity.

If Sprint could provide a quality user experience it would be able to get better rankings and customer reviews. 

Is there a time table for Sprint to complete optimizations? Is there a market in the U.S. that has been fully rebuild and is working at best levels? I see this in LA that I am still dropping back to 3G at times and it seems like an eternity.

If Sprint could provide a quality user experience it would be able to get better rankings and customer reviews.

No time timetable. Sprint is not advertising optimizations. Additionally, Tmo may have their downtilt set higher for better coverage. Sprint can't make their cells larger because the burden on 5MHz channels would be too great if covering too many customers.

Sprint's focus on coverage is B26. Tmo can't do that. They have to make these B4 cells as large as possible. It will come back and hurt them when capacity becomes an issue.

If you like Tmo's fantastic urban coverage, you should move to them.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Why is Sprint's signal less strong on sensorly? T-Mobile looks much stronger.

Some of that is due to 4x2 MIMO.  On seemingly most sectors, T-Mobile has two antenna panels for its band 4 LTE, while Sprint has one antenna panel for its band 25/26 LTE.  Indeed, two is better than one.

But you also have to realize that this may become a liability for T-Mobile going forward.  It has two "modernized" antenna panels and one legacy antenna panel on each sector.  Where does the band 12 antenna panel go?  Where does the band ??? 600 MHz antenna panel go?  T-Mobile may have to start adding second racks to its sites to accommodate additional bands.  And that adds up in both CAPEX and OPEX.

Meanwhile, since Sprint is decommissioning legacy antenna panels, it has plenty of rack space per sector for one or two additional antenna panels, such as for band 41 and band ??? 600 MHz.

AJ

• Like 7

Some of that is due to 4x2 MIMO.  On seemingly most sectors, T-Mobile has two antenna panels for its band 4 LTE, while Sprint has one antenna panel for its band 25/26 LTE.  Indeed, two is better than one.

But you also have to realize that this may become a liability for T-Mobile going forward.  It has two "modernized" antenna panels and one legacy antenna panel on each sector.  Where does the band 12 antenna panel go?  Where does the band ??? 600 MHz antenna panel go?  T-Mobile may have to start adding second racks to its sites to accommodate additional bands.  And that adds up in both CAPEX and OPEX.

Meanwhile, since Sprint is decommissioning legacy antenna panels, it has plenty of rack space per sector for one or two additional antenna panels, such as for band 41 and band ??? 600 MHz.

AJ

Nokia markets actually have 3 already. They'll need to add a fourth to each sector or replace one of them for a 700 compatible antenna panel. 

Those Ericsson AIR 21s are quite heavy as well. 

Please chime if I am getting terminology wrong. Thanks!

AJ

I have generally observed 3 types of NSN T-Mobile cell sites:

3 panel: quad 2x AWS LTE, quad PCS GSM/HSPA+, legacy dual AWS HSPA+

2 panel: quad 2x AWS LTE, hex with PCS GSM/HSPA+ and AWS HSPA+ or hex 2x AWS LTE and PCS GSM/HSPA+, quad PCS GSM/HSPA+ and AWS HSPA+

1 panel: hex with diplexer for 2x AWS LTE, PCS GSM/HSPA+, AWS HSPA+

Therefore, the options for low-band deployment is swap out the legacy panel on the 3 panel site, swap out a low-band hex panel for the 2-panel site, or add a low-band panel to any of the site configurations.

Nokia markets actually have 3 already. They'll need to add a fourth to each sector or replace one of them for a 700 compatible antenna panel. 

Those Ericsson AIR 21s are quite heavy as well. 

For Ericsson AIR21 sites, there is currently one active PCS HSPA+/GSM and passive AWS HSPA+ plus one active AWS LTE and passive mid-band empty. There is a new wider, 1.3M short (not 2.4M tall like the AT&T AIR21 being deployed) low-band compatible AIR21 that just passed the FCC that would be a sensible swap. The extra AIR21 could then be salvaged for a good chunk of sites that were not fully modernized.

All in all, nothing like the massive 12 panel, 33 RRU cell sites AT&T is stitching together. 

Edited by atomic50

k of sites that were not fully modernized.

All in all, nothing like the massive 12 panel, 33 RRU cell sites AT&T is stitching together. 

You mean this monstrosity?

Mf3VVJw.jpg

ZhAW1eL.jpg

KXtDEHN.jpg

• Like 5

If you like Tmo's fantastic urban coverage, you should move to them.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Robert, you should not confuse a simple question with a desire to switch service providers. Yes would I like to see strong Sprint LTE coverage like T-Mo seems to offer? - Yes.

Sprint has gained a reputation as building a network that is just not working. I am in Los Angeles, a market that is Spark ready yet I still find myself in 3G so many times unless they make it part of the Spark experience.

TMo has started late but their move has been very aggressive and I wish Sprint would get the job done quickly. I know that their 5x5 B25 network will not be able to offer much speed but at times it is below 3G specs. That needs to change.

Robert, you should not confuse a simple question with a desire to switch service providers. Yes would I like to see strong Sprint LTE coverage like T-Mo seems to offer? - Yes.

Sprint has gained a reputation as building a network that is just not working. I am in Los Angeles, a market that is Spark ready yet I still find myself in 3G so many times unless they make it part of the Spark experience.

TMo has started late but their move has been very aggressive and I wish Sprint would get the job done quickly. I know that their 5x5 B25 network will not be able to offer much speed but at times it is below 3G specs. That needs to change.

Yep, again you make it sound like Tmo is better for you. I think you should change to Tmo. And every time you post a contrast to Tmo in our Sprint forums, I'll probably tell you to move. Everyone should find the best provider for their needs. I think it's time you find yours.

• Like 1

Yep, again you make it sound like Tmo is better for you. I think you should change to Tmo. And every time you post a contrast to Tmo in our Sprint forums, I'll probably tell you to move. Everyone should find the best provider for their needs. I think it's time you find yours.

Idk what you are talking about. I'm not the only one using the ID logo and you may have me confused.

Idk what you are talking about. I'm not the only one using the ID logo and you may have me confused.

What Robert is getting at is that we're tired of the constant comparisons between Sprint and [insert carrier here] in [insert location here] and how [insert user displeased with Sprint here] and that if an individual does not like Sprints progress or network in [insert location here] that they should find an alternative and leave Sprint and the headaches behind. 

• Like 5

What Robert is getting at is that we're tired of the constant comparisons between Sprint and [insert carrier here] in [insert location here] and how [insert user displeased with Sprint here] and that if an individual does not like Sprints progress or network in [insert location here] that they should find an alternative and leave Sprint and the headaches behind. 

Why allow T-Mobile topics in the forums? Yes, I decided to sign up for Sprint in 1996 and I am still with Sprint, FYI.

Why allow T-Mobile topics in the forums? Yes, I decided to sign up for Sprint in 1996 and I am still with Sprint, FYI.

Because this is a non profit educational site and discussing the tmobile network and their technologies and deployment can expand the exchange of knowledge and provide a secondary topic to discuss since they use different technologies and equipment compared to sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Yes, I decided to sign up for Sprint in 1996 and I am still with Sprint, FYI.

No, you did not -- unless you lived in Washington/Baltimore during that time.  Then, you signed up with subsidiary Sprint Spectrum GSM. But Sprint PCS cdmaOne did not launch anywhere until 1997.

AJ

• Like 3

You probably know this, but if you are in fact using the Evo 4G LTE, you won't be getting any of the band 41 Spark goodness.

• Like 2

You probably know this, but if you are in fact using the Evo 4G LTE, you won't be getting any of the band 41 Spark goodness.

I know that the EVO4G LTE is a single band LTE phone but I have family members with other phones too that are Spark enabled. Still the experience on a single band handset is worse as the experience on the old wimax network because I never seen so slow results in Orange County.

Still the experience on a single band handset is worse as the experience on the old wimax network because I never seen so slow results in Orange County.

?

I know that the EVO4G LTE is a single band LTE phone but I have family members with other phones too that are Spark enabled. Still the experience on a single band handset is worse as the experience on the old wimax network because I never seen so slow results in Orange County.

?

Anyone who is still sporting an HTC EVO LTE is just a glutton for punishment -- with an extra helping of self abuse.

AJ

• Like 3

Wait, is the single band EVO better or worse than the new Triband Spark enabled devices? Are you complaring them to even older wimax devices? 

• Like 1

Wait, is the single band EVO better or worse than the new Triband Spark enabled devices? Are you complaring them to even older wimax devices? 

I am comparing the service I receive from Sprint's LTE and Wimax network. I have an EVO 4G and EVO 4G LTE.

Down in Santa Ana, I am currently getting better service on the old wimax network in terms of download speeds. LTE has been really bad here and at times I am getting below 1MB on LTE while I get better speeds on wimax. Not sure why but my phone is working fine because my sisters LG G3 is not getting any faster speeds unless she hits a pocket that is B41 ready.

Anyone who is still sporting an HTC EVO LTE is just a glutton for punishment -- with an extra helping of self abuse.

AJ

It's still a nice phone, sure I eventually get a better phone but that is not in the budget at this point in time.

LTE in Orange County is so slow on B25. Idk why and I am hitting more and more 3G only pockets.

What people are trying to say is that the EVO LTE has probably the worst LTE reception of the Sprint lineup. Just about any other device would get you better reception. While that might not do much for speed, it would lessen the gaps in LTE coverage.

A Spark device would do something for speeds, as just about anywhere you get WiMax you would likely see Band 41 coverage. 

• Like 1