Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

On 1/9/2019 at 12:56 PM, jamesinclair said:

Just read through the google app store reviews and it looks like the app died 4 months ago.

Wish I hadnt wasted my time.

If that's the case and someone can confirm, that would be very helpful to those of us that try to help fill out map coverage.   If not sensorly, I am sure there is or can be another to pick up the slack (albeit from scratch)

11 minutes ago, JohnHovah said:

If that's the case and someone can confirm, that would be very helpful to those of us that try to help fill out map coverage.   If not sensorly, I am sure there is or can be another to pick up the slack (albeit from scratch)

That's funny the link is alive and well, my sprint rewards

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mattp said:

is any one still in this topic 

what is the data usage of the app any way to limit it just to wifi i am on a limit data place becaser i doint want to speed much mony for data 

Most of us have abandoned ship because it does not get recorded into the main map from many phones.  Root metrics hexagon based coverage maps or cell mapper (if you are in a non spreadsheet market) are recommended.  SCP Pro recommended for active spreadsheet markets.  Most have ways to defer sending data which can then be done over WiFi.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Most of us have abandoned ship because it does not get recorded into the main map from many phones.  Root metrics hexagon based coverage maps or cell mapper (if you are in a non spreadsheet market) are recommended.  SCP Pro recommended for active spreadsheet markets.  Most have ways to defer sending data which can then be done over WiFi.

Agreed. I gave up on Sensorly when it stopped recording and they stopped responding to me.

I use the RootMetrics App regularly in the DC Area and up in Bethesda. Mapped a number of hexes around Downtown DC the other day. Saw some substantial improvements and turned a bunch of hexes darker blue with faster speed tests. Eliminated a few orange hexes as well. Reported the slow areas in the My Sprint App. Great way to get more steps in! 😀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Agreed. I gave up on Sensorly when it stopped recording and they stopped responding to me.

I use the RootMetrics App regularly in the DC Area and up in Bethesda. Mapped a number of hexes around Downtown DC the other day. Saw some substantial improvements and turned a bunch of hexes darker blue with faster speed tests. Eliminated a few orange hexes as well. Reported the slow areas in the My Sprint App. Great way to get more steps in! 😀

wow you much have lot of mony i can't aford to do sped test on the cell network i pay per mb it is the only plan i can aford i may pay about a mont or 2 of regular unlimited  over a whole year 

30 minutes ago, mattp said:

wow you much have lot of mony i can't aford to do sped test on the cell network i pay per mb it is the only plan i can aford i may pay about a mont or 2 of regular unlimited  over a whole year 

I'm on an Unlimited Freedom family plan with 7 lines and a $5/month Corporate discount for each line, so my overall cost is pretty good.

Unlimited Basic is $60/Month with AutoPay/eBill.

The 2 GB plan is $40/Month with AutoPay/eBill.

Sprint offers $5/month Corporate Discount, but if you're a member of a Credit Union, check this out: https://www.lovemycreditunion.org/sprintcreditunionmembercashrewards

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

I'm on an Unlimited Freedom family plan with 7 lines and a $5/month Corporate discount for each line, so my overall cost is pretty good.

Unlimited Basic is $60/Month with AutoPay/eBill.

The 2 GB plan is $40/Month with AutoPay/eBill.

Sprint offers $5/month Corporate Discount, but if you're a member of a Credit Union, check this out: https://www.lovemycreditunion.org/sprintcreditunionmembercashrewards

still it is more then what i am paying a year for tello as long as i use the phone ever 3 month which is not a isuse i just pay for what i use it could be as low as 10$ for the whole year i think some where around 50$ i use only about 200mb a month and the odd tex mesage  her or there most time i am on wifi 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mattp said:

still it is more then what i am paying a year for tello as long as i use the phone ever 3 month which is not a isuse i just pay for what i use it could be as low as 10$ for the whole year i think some where around 50$ i use only about 200mb a month and the odd tex mesage  her or there most time i am on wifi 

Wow. That’s a completely different usage pattern. Sounds like it works for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Wow. That’s a completely different usage pattern. Sounds like it works for you.

yep my family is a small user we doint like cell phone bill get clsoe to size of a second motorage it is evne a some what old cell phone that i full own 

• 5 months later...

Hello, anyone else not seeing their map results show up on the Sensorly maps? Is it because I am using the iPhone App?

I keep Sensorly open and Map the same trip over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, techfranz said:

Hello, anyone else not seeing their map results show up on the Sensorly maps? Is it because I am using the iPhone App?

I keep Sensorly open and Map the same trip over and over again.

Sensorly appears to have died (see above).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, techfranz said:

I wishthere was an IOS version of Cellmapper, but I will try Rootmetrics and maybe Open Signal.

I really enjoy using Rootmetrics on iOS.

If you are driving about 45 mph how do you make sure the Rootmetrics APP is Harvesting Data?

Do you need to run continuous tests or just have Map View open?

Also what is the average processing time for the data?

Go into the App settings and make sure that the background “Baseline Data Collection” toggle is enabled and set to upload over any network. This updates the “Best Technology Found” Map Layer in the background as you travel.

You can also run speed tests continuously for the “Fastest Speed Found” Map Layer. This is under the speed test settings. I’m not sure how speeds tests are counted across the hexes. I believe that download and upload data results are treated separately, such that you can have a download result in one hex and an upload in another hex from a single test cycle, if you’re traveling. I’m not sure if downloads and uploads extend across hexes, such that a download result will count for multiple hexes.

I’ve seen hexes update with my speed tests within a couple hours. If a hex has no data points, I believe it takes a few speed tests to get results registered on the “Fastest Speed Found” Map Layer.

I believe these speed tests also apply to the “Best Technology Found” layer as well.

If you plan to run continuous speed tests in the App while traveling, you should do it while your device is plugged into a car charger or plugged into an external battery pack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Go into the App settings and make sure that the background “Baseline Data Collection” toggle is enabled and set to upload over any network. This updates the “Best Technology Found” Map Layer in the background as you travel.

You can also run speed tests continuously for the “Fastest Speed Found” Map Layer. This is under the speed test settings. I’m not sure how speeds tests are counted across the hexes. I believe that download and upload data results are treated separately, such that you can have a download result in one hex and an upload in another hex from a single test cycle, if you’re traveling. I’m not sure if downloads and uploads extend across hexes, such that a download result will count for multiple hexes.

I’ve seen hexes update with my speed tests within a couple hours. If a hex has no data points, I believe it takes a few speed tests to get results registered on the “Fastest Speed Found” Map Layer.

I believe these speed tests also apply to the “Best Technology Found” layer as well.

If you plan to run continuous speed tests in the App while traveling, you should do it while your device is plugged into a car charger or plugged into an external battery pack.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, techfranz said:

Thanks!

You’re welcome!

Doing speed tests and network mapping  while walking around town is a great way to get exercise and explore new areas. It’s also pretty cool seeing how Sprint’s improved in certain areas.

If you experience slow speeds when testing in an area, you should report the issue in the My Sprint App.

Well I am going to give up on mapping with Rootmetrics and Open Signal. I wonder if they don’t publish results when a user has a VPN or is using Sprint VoLTE. No sense wasting a bunch of time on mapping a Network if the results don’t end up on the map.

Well I am going to give up on mapping with Rootmetrics and Open Signal. I wonder if they don’t publish results when a user has a VPN or is using Sprint VoLTE. No sense wasting a bunch of time on mapping a Network if the results don’t end up on the map.

A VPN will skew the results. You should not have a VPN on whole doing speed test mapping. VoLTE will not matter, they operate on different EUTRA sessions https://s4gru.com/entry/439-sprints-casting-call-of-voice-over-actors-an-in-depth-analysis-of-volte-calling-and-vowifi/ it shouldn't even be able to tell that you have VoLTE on. 

That being said, if you're on an active VoLTE call, then that may affect things. Recently, Sprint started preferring dropping to band 26 during tower handoffs while on a VoLTE call. So a call may start out on B41, but if you're moving, when it hands off to the next tower it often switches to B26. This improves VoLTE performance and quality, but will result in slower data speeds and showing B26 available instead of b25 or b41 in your mapping. Congestion on B26 has no effect at all on VoLTE calls, but will be reflected in speed tests performed while on the call

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk