Dish Trialing Mobile TV service on 700MHz Block E

bigsnake49

Should be a win win for the station if the wireless company is paying for the change and advertisements/training of the public to delete and rescan their OTA tuners.  The station will end up gaining a tad bit of coverage with the frequency change.

Or not! The station may turn down the signal a bit. 

Edited by bigsnake49

Or not! The station may turn down the signal a bit.

Good. The 10% that still use OTA TV should not hold hostage advancement of broadband.

I think everyone should be in range of ONE and only one TV station - for emergencies - and all other stations should be reclaimed for LTE.

Good. The 10% that still use OTA TV should not hold hostage advancement of broadband.

I think everyone should be in range of ONE and only one TV station - for emergencies - and all other stations should be reclaimed for LTE.

Just because you don't use it doesn't mean others don't need it. I use OTA everyday and enjoy the quality of getting it from the source with no middle man. Plus as you state being able to watch them during a disaster is key as well.

Several other folks out in the rural areas where cable does not cover I have set up with OTA tuners. Some even with DVRs and it is all in HD on the major locals. I have actually recently had issues with backorders due to an increase in demand for OTA.

• Like 1

Just because you don't use it doesn't mean others don't need it. I use OTA everyday and enjoy the quality of getting it from the source with no middle man. Plus as you state being able to watch them during a disaster is key as well.

Several other folks out in the rural areas where cable does not cover I have set up with OTA tuners. Some even with DVRs and it is all in HD on the major locals. I have actually recently had issues with backorders due to an increase in demand for OTA.

Having a few channels in rurals is not as egregious as wasting 6 MHz x 20 channels of spectrum in urbania.

If DTV broadcasters were to go to LTE broadcast, would that be more or less efficient than current DTV encoding?

Edited by asdf190

Having a few channels in rurals is not as egregious as wasting 6 MHz x 20 channels of spectrum in urbania. If DTV broadcasters were to go to LTE broadcast, would that be more or less efficient than current DTV encoding?

They are getting about 19 megabits out of the 6 mhz.  But then you have to remember they are covering many more miles than an LTE site ever dream it could.  Without getting into the the modulation scheme pro's/con's and many other issues with the DTV conversion they should have allowed for MPEG4 streams in the spec so TV stations could have easily combined facilities to save energy costs, maintenance costs, and spectrum.

They are getting about 19 megabits out of the 6 mhz. But then you have to remember they are covering many more miles than an LTE site ever dream it could. Without getting into the the modulation scheme pro's/con's and many other issues with the DTV conversion they should have allowed for MPEG4 streams in the spec so TV stations could have easily combined facilities to save energy costs, maintenance costs, and spectrum.

With this upcoming repacking for 600 MHz, will people have to get another set of DTV boxes or only rescan the channels?

With this upcoming repacking for 600 MHz, will people have to get another set of DTV boxes or only rescan the channels?

I haven't read much on this but as long as it stays in the same UHF/VHF bands then all that is necessary is a rescan.  Some boxes you can do a delete then rescan and some of the really poorly coded ones require you to unscrew the antenna, hit scan so it zero's out, then hook up the antenna, then scan again.  Try getting grandma to do that!

Having a few channels in rurals is not as egregious as wasting 6 MHz x 20 channels of spectrum in urbania. If DTV broadcasters were to go to LTE broadcast, would that be more or less efficient than current DTV encoding?

Come visit Michigan, where you can start in urbana, go a little over a mile, and start hitting farms.

Come visit Michigan, where you can start in urbana, go a little over a mile, and start hitting farms.

Uh, I am quite certain that Urbana is in Illinois.

;)

AJ