Network Vision/LTE - West Kentucky Market (Louisville, Evansville, Bowling Green)

bgguy

Some of the surrounding areas like Mayfield have Sprint Roaming Alliance coverage. Voice-wise it isn't quite as consistent as Sprint is,from personal experience. On the other hand data speeds are generally faster than most current data speeds. I often see them well over 1 Mbps. And to be realistic the cost of adding coverage of their own isn't worth it. I would guess the only reason there is coverage in Murray at all is because of the school. The other locations don't have a high enough concentration of people for it to be profitable.

I noticed on my drive home last night that one of the towers in Bowling Green had what looked like new racks and wiring going from what looks like a Nextel shed to the tower. This tower was the first one to have Nextel decommissioned from it last year in this area. I'll try and get pictures but it's hard to do in traffic at 70 MPH.

ok I went by that tower today off 3 Spring Road & it looks like new racks, but they haven't been hooked up yet. They also have a bunch of North Star Batteries which you can see in one of the pics.

http://tinypic.com/r/3460xte/4

http://tinypic.com/r/2vt5c7m/4

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxm8sh/4

sorry I didn't get more pics it was raining when I was there

• Like 1

Some of the surrounding areas like Mayfield have Sprint Roaming Alliance coverage. Voice-wise it isn't quite as consistent as Sprint is,from personal experience. On the other hand data speeds are generally faster than most current data speeds. I often see them well over 1 Mbps. And to be realistic the cost of adding coverage of their own isn't worth it. I would guess the only reason there is coverage in Murray at all is because of the school. The other locations don't have a high enough concentration of people for it to be profitable.

That's the MyMobileNation territory. Kind of an odd outfit, if I must as say so. They used Huawei equipment, then Huawei started getting all that crap from the Feds. It will be interesting to see what happens with them.

ok I went by that tower today off 3 Spring Road & it looks like new racks, but they haven't been hooked up yet. They also have a bunch of North Star Batteries which you can see in one of the pics.

http://tinypic.com/r/3460xte/4

http://tinypic.com/r/2vt5c7m/4

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxm8sh/4

sorry I didn't get more pics it was raining when I was there

Great find. Those are definitely Ericsson cabinets. You might want to report it on the sponsor thread as in progress. Keep an eye out for new panels/RRUs going up on the tower.

Remember you can use this as a reference of what to look for.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2902-how-to-spot-sprint-panels-and-rrus-ericsson-style/

Lets hope LTE isn't too far out.

There is a tower I'm curious about along the Western Kentucky Pkwy/ I69. It used to be a Nextel only tower, but it serves fairly close to a TVA power plant which had Nextel repeaters in it. I've noticed a whole new rack installed from the ground up and in the last week or so the microwave parts put on the tower. I'm unfamiliar with if Verizon uses this in more rural areas or if Sprint is converting the tower to appease TVA. I'll try to remember and get a mile marker area the next time I'm through there.

• Like 1

This was taken at work about 10 miles north of Evansville near I64 and US 41. Normally I get pretty slow speeds up here (around 600 kbps), but I don't remember the last time I was at work and checked on a Saturday. Besides that, there wouldn't be a lot of residential and commercial areas other than a few truckstops anywhere near this tower, just a few factories so I can't imagine the load would ever be that high.

96jm03.png

This was taken at home on the east side of Evansville. If this is consistent it will be great, but I have gotten speeds like this before. I'm usually on WiFi at home, but around town 1000 kbps is normally the maximum speed I get if I'm having a really good day.

2ezp5wo.png

• Like 2

There is a tower I'm curious about along the Western Kentucky Pkwy/ I69. It used to be a Nextel only tower, but it serves fairly close to a TVA power plant which had Nextel repeaters in it. I've noticed a whole new rack installed from the ground up and in the last week or so the microwave parts put on the tower. I'm unfamiliar with if Verizon uses this in more rural areas or if Sprint is converting the tower to appease TVA. I'll try to remember and get a mile marker area the next time I'm through there.

I checked and this tower is between mile markers 96&97 on I-69 just north of KY HWY 112. The radioms are pointed towards what appears to a tower at the I-69/Pennyrile Pkwy intersection which subsequently had radioms pointed back. I don't know if either of these are Sprint related or not. Hopefully someone can stop and check these out.

Edited by bgguy
  • Like 1

Just drove by the Three Springs Rd tower and saw several guys working on it. Hopefully it's about time to start installing RRU's.

I hope so I get so tired of going to Starbucks or McDonald's to use their wifi when I need to email something with an attachment

1. The tower I've wondering about on I-69 had me hoping yesterday. Driving through that area it used to be pure roaming. Now for about 6-8 miles total there was nothing. Would roaming be ceased for an impending tower coming online?

2. This was on I-24 just west of the Eddyville exit. That is some impressive 3G speeds.

screenshot2013050608015.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by bgguy

It has begun. Keep an eye out for this.

SoGtcew.jpg

New Ericsson cabinets with the legacy Sprint equipment behind them. Found two sites like this last night.

• Like 4

It has begun. Keep an eye out for this.

New Ericsson cabinets with the legacy Sprint equipment behind them. Found two sites like this last night.

I've been in almost weekly contact with corporate tech support over my data issues and they said that the capacity upgrade was moved up for Shepherdsville. When I talked to him a few days ago he said that it was more than just a capacity upgrade, but for LTE too. I asked when it was scheduled to be complted and he said 6-9 months. As always, I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm hopeful.

Where is this? Nice pictures.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I have both locations as well many more pictures in the sponsor map thread for ky. They are both here in Louisville.

I've been in almost weekly contact with corporate tech support over my data issues and they said that the capacity upgrade was moved up for Shepherdsville. When I talked to him a few days ago he said that it was more than just a capacity upgrade' date=' but for LTE too. I asked when it was scheduled to be complted and he said 6-9 months. As always, I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm hopeful.[/quote']

I'd be highly surprised if it takes that long. Personally I'd say two to three months if that now that they have started working. I know the site in Shep already has its fiber ran to the outside of the fence.

I pass two Towers in Evansville on a regular basis and have seen no activity around them. It's coming south from Indy. It looks like they have it in Bloomington, IN now. Taking care of the big College towns.

Edited by czuber

This is from the site at the I-24/Purchase Pkwy junction.

screenshot2013051309341.png

This is from a site in Benton. I think I had my phone on CDMA, normally it shows up as EHRPD.

screenshot2013051309361.png

It definitely looks like work is being done around Paducah to get it ready.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I pass two Towers in Evansville on a regular basis and have seen no activity around them. It's coming south from Indy. It looks like they have it in Bloomington, IN now. Taking care of the big College towns.

Bloomington is in the Indianapolis market. That's why it is being worked on. The entire Indy market is being worked on. The fact that it is a college town is irrelevant. In fact, it was the last city of size in the Indy market to get Sprint LTE.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD