No Google Play Movies for rooted phones

Duffman

Yeah it is total BS if you ask me. I hope this doesn't start a trend of things to come.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 via tapatalk

I hope not either. If Google continues to pull this crap on us, then they need to lose.

Not only funny, but I agree whole heartedly. I can watch Netflix on my rooted device. This is BS. I hope WebOS free source takes off.

Posted via Forum Runner

I hope WebOS takes off too. It's just too bad it has it's roots in Palm, which died a horrible death in the tech sector.

I hope not either. If Google continues to pull this crap on us, then they need to lose.

I hope WebOS takes off too. It's just too bad it has it's roots in Palm, which died a horrible death in the tech sector.

I dunno if they lose if they continue this practice...DIRECTV already does this too to an extent as they have blocked their iPad app from working on jailbroken devices because they added live streaming functionality to it...

Does googles rentals save the movie to your device somewhat or is it 100% streamed like netflix? If its the former I kinda understand as they might not want whatever files are saved to be hacked and messed with. If its the later then they have no excuse and should learn from netflix...though wonder if netflix pays a lil more to companies to be able to stream to unlocked devices and Google doesn't want to pay that extra fee bc they know their service can't compete with netflixs so not worth it...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I dunno if they lose if they continue this practice...DIRECTV already does this too to an extent as they have blocked their iPad app from working on jailbroken devices because they added live streaming functionality to it...

Does googles rentals save the movie to your device somewhat or is it 100% streamed like netflix? If its the former I kinda understand as they might not want whatever files are saved to be hacked and messed with. If its the later then they have no excuse and should learn from netflix...though wonder if netflix pays a lil more to companies to be able to stream to unlocked devices and Google doesn't want to pay that extra fee bc they know their service can't compete with netflixs so not worth it...

You have the option to stream the video or download it for offline viewing.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 via tapatalk

Lmao

Props to Mcdroidburger for posting that picture!

It seems Google is being very hypocritical !

Id still support google over the half eaten rotten fruit!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

I wonder why it either does not detect your root or does not care on the Nexus.

Duff, maybe it has to do with the difference between modified stock ROM's versus AOSP ROM's.

Duff, maybe it has to do with the difference between modified stock ROM's versus AOSP ROM's.

Root is root. When a program is set to not function on a rooted phone, that is all it looks for. The program will usually look for /system/bin/su. There is a program out there that is supposed to rename that temporarily and then put it back the way it was after you do whatever you were going to do.

There is a slight chance that a ROM could be written that wouldn't need the superuser app to be in the /system/bin/su directory and still have root access, but I haven't heard of it.

And of course I have my phone rooted lol. from the day after I bought it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

take it you don't have superuser installed??

the thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=23728906&highlight=watch+google+movies+with+root#post23728906

seems to briefly discuss it there and one other says they can also use it just like you...So it seems it might either be just effecting custom Rom's OR its looking for Superuser binaries after its installed and given programs access??

I don't know what the deal is. I have superuser inslalled.

a6fa6016-2388-d522.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Okay then, but your not on a custom ROM though just stock but rooted?

If that's the case it might be something in custom ROMs that breaks it?....