PCS H Block Spectrum discussion (was "Draft Rules for H Block Auction Set by FCC"

marioc21

There's a good article on fiercewireless.com about the NV1.0, NV2.0 phases and their timing:

s noted by Barron's, Wells Fargo Securities and investors met earlier this week with Sprint CEO Dan Hesse and CFO Joe Euteneuer, who provided more details and color on the company's Network Vision network modernization efforts, the first phase of which the carrier expects to complete by mid-2014 (as part of that, Sprint expects to cover 200 million POPs with LTE by year-end). The second phase will be the deployment of Clearwire's 2.5 GHz airwaves on a nationwide basis, and Sprint's management expects to reveal more details on that part of the company's plans "at some point in the not-too-distant future," according to note, written by Wells Fargo Securities analysts J. Davis Herbert and Eric Fishel.

Sprint disclosed in July that it plans to deploy Clearwire's 2.5 GHz spectrum using TD-LTE on all 38,000 of its planned Network Vision cell sites in a nationwide rollout. And, due to the weaker propagation characteristics of 2.5 GHz, Sprint will also deploy small cells and other sites beyond the 38,000 Network Vision sites. Previously, Sprint had said it would use Clearwire's spectrum as a "hotspot" LTE network to offload traffic in urban markets.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Looking ahead in terms of capital expenditures, Sprint expects to spend around $8 billion in 2013, $8 billion in 2014, and then $6 billion per year from 2015 to 2017. The company is also still open to network sharing, depending on the economics.

Read more: Sprint plans to use 2.5 GHz spectrum to catch up to Verizon, AT&T in LTE - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-plans-use-25-ghz-spectrum-catch-verizon-att-lte/2013-08-29#ixzz2dOTi8Ra0 

I wonder who they mean when they talk about network sharing? According to some in this forum, they hate Dish and Ergen. Yet, he's the only one one that does not have his own network. Did they forgive and forget?

I think they are just putting that out there in case Dish wanted to come back with reasonable terms.  Before Softbank Sprint really needed the extra revenue with network hosting but now that Softbank is here, Sprint doesn't need Dish's revenue all that much. If anything I see Sprint only entertain the idea of network hosting for Dish and begins negotiations if Dish initiates the talks and Ergen gets that big ego out of his head.

I am sure there may be hard feelings because from Softbank because Dish drove up the total cost for both Sprint and Clearwire but at the end of the day its business and if its a good opportunity for both sides, I don't see why they couldn't make it work.  However if I were Sprint, I would only do this with Dish if Sprint gets the majority of the terms.

Kind of like Sons of Anarchy where the Sons have business arrangements with the Mayans, later in the season they're killing each other then back to allies again. It's all just business.

I think they are just putting that out there in case Dish wanted to come back with reasonable terms. Before Softbank Sprint really needed the extra revenue with network hosting but now that Softbank is here, Sprint doesn't need Dish's revenue all that much. If anything I see Sprint only entertain the idea of network hosting for Dish and begins negotiations if Dish initiates the talks and Ergen gets that big ego out of his head.

I am sure there may be hard feelings because from Softbank because Dish drove up the total cost for both Sprint and Clearwire but at the end of the day its business and if its a good opportunity for both sides, I don't see why they couldn't make it work. However if I were Sprint, I would only do this with Dish if Sprint gets the majority of the terms.

I wouldn't mind if Dish/Softbank/Sprint partnered up but only if sprint is in control and if sprint has access dish spectrum too

I wouldn't mind if Dish/Softbank/Sprint partnered up but only if sprint is in control and if sprint has access dish spectrum too

Dish isn't worth the spectrum because Sprint has plenty of that now that Clearwire is in its full control. You also have to remember that with Ergen, It's either a total win for him or nothing at all. Not worth it in my opinion.

You also have to remember that with Ergen, It's either a total win for him or nothing at all.

Yeah, I have heard that Charlie is a big fan of Ann and Nancy Wilson...

AJ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The start date of the PCS/AWS-2 H block auction is set:  January 14, 2014.

http://www.fcc.gov/document/h-block-auction-procedures-dates-and-filing-requirements

AJ

• Like 2

Is this so you can measure your e-penis against VZW and att? Two 5Mhz FDD will be just fine. All a 10Mhz FDD channel does is enable abuse, do you really need 75mbps on a freaking mobile device?

I remember people saying people could never fill up a 1 GB hard drive... Those people were proved wrong in less than a year. With the time it takes to get all the necessary equipment in place with phone supporting... Companies need to be forward thinking. Heck... 6 mbps may be fine today but it will very quickly not be sufficient even on a mobile phone. Heck, with the way things are going, I see wireless eventually replacing land lines and Sprint will need to be ready to support that when the laws are changed and equipment t improvements are in line to support that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

So given that no one else seems that interested in this spectrum, and the reserve price for all BEA's is only $219 million, will Sprint just go for the whole lot, including markets that they don't cover? I'm a bit concerned that the cost of meeting the more stringent rural build-out requirements will change the calculus enough for Sprint that they decide to only bid on a subset of the available licenses.

So given that no one else seems that interested in this spectrum, and the reserve price for all BEA's is only $219 million, will Sprint just go for the whole lot, including markets that they don't cover? I'm a bit concerned that the cost of meeting the more stringent rural build-out requirements will change the calculus enough for Sprint that they decide to only bid on a subset of the available licenses.

Nah, I think unless Dish comes in and jacks up the price they'll buy it all. You can always expand if you have the spectrum to do so but if you don't have the spectrum you're stuck.

With Ergen still squatting on 8-10B, we should all be shocked if he doesnt barrel in and drive up the price.

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

Ergen might have other plans for PCS H other than driving the price up. See this discusiion:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4650-pcs-h-and-dish-redux/

Now I usually agree with Walter Pieczyk but what the hell is he talking talking about:

BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk also suggested in August that the FCC delay the auction. "It feels strange to argue for a delay in a spectrum auction given our past complaints about the FCC's inability to source new spectrum but in this case it makes too much sense," he wrote in a blog post. "Moving the planned January auction of the H-Block back to the second half of 2014 when it can be simultaneously auctioned with the AWS-3 M-Block has several possible benefits:

1. Improves usability of H-Block and potentially increases its size by 50%
  2. Doubles the possible auction values
  3. Helps fund a meaningful portion of Public Safety Broadband Network
  4. Enables more efficient spectrum planning
  5. Attracts greater participation in the Incentive Auction

How will it increase the PCS H size by 50%? Or double the auction values?

Read more: FCC sets H Block spectrum auction for Jan. 14, with Sprint seen as lead bidder - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/fcc-sets-h-block-spectrum-auction-jan-14-sprint-seen-lead-bidder/2013-09-13#ixzz2esiVmB8G 

Now I usually agree with Walter Pieczyk but what the hell is he talking talking about:

BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk also suggested in August that the FCC delay the auction. "It feels strange to argue for a delay in a spectrum auction given our past complaints about the FCC's inability to source new spectrum but in this case it makes too much sense," he wrote in a blog post. "Moving the planned January auction of the H-Block back to the second half of 2014 when it can be simultaneously auctioned with the AWS-3 M-Block has several possible benefits:

1. Improves usability of H-Block and potentially increases its size by 50%
  2. Doubles the possible auction values
  3. Helps fund a meaningful portion of Public Safety Broadband Network
  4. Enables more efficient spectrum planning
  5. Attracts greater participation in the Incentive Auction

How will it increase the PCS H size by 50%? Or double the auction values?

Read more: FCC sets H Block spectrum auction for Jan. 14, with Sprint seen as lead bidder - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/fcc-sets-h-block-spectrum-auction-jan-14-sprint-seen-lead-bidder/2013-09-13#ixzz2esiVmB8G 

Wow yeah that guy needs to check his facts.  Seems like BS to me.

If that fiercewireless article is correct, Dish has already jacked up the price on Sprint since they lobbied the FCC to raise the reserve price to $1.56B from the initial $219M, perhaps as a way to get back at Sprint for winning out on the interference debate with Dish's 2000 MHz licenses. At least Dish has "signaled" that they won't be participating, if you believe them.

That analyst is not only mistaken about an increased size for the H block, but I also can't see how he'd be right about increased participation and auction values for that spectrum if it's auctioned later. What reason would anyone have to buy those particular licenses later in 2014 if they're not already interested in them now?

That analyst is not only mistaken about an increased size for the H block, but I also can't see how he'd be right about increased participation and auction values for that spectrum if it's auctioned later. What reason would anyone have to buy those particular licenses later in 2014 if they're not already interested in them now?

Dish is interested in getting its AWS-4 2000-2020 MHz uplink converted to downlink.  If so, then the conflicts with the PCS/AWS-2 H block downlink go away.  That could make the H block more valuable, as it would be part of a 25 MHz swath of contiguous spectrum that could be used for supplemental downlink.

AJ

Dish is interested in getting its AWS-4 2000-2020 MHz uplink converted to downlink.  If so, then the conflicts with the PCS/AWS-2 H block downlink go away.  That could make the H block more valuable, as it would be part of a 25 MHz swath of contiguous spectrum that could be used for supplemental downlink.

AJ

Downlink for what? PCS?

Downlink for what? PCS?

Supplemental downlink for just about anything -- PCS, AWS, Cellular, etc.  But the PCS/AWS-2 H block holder would have the most interesting opportunity, since it could potentially lease or license, say, the lower 10 MHz of the AWS-4 2000-2020 MHz segment for an asymmetric carrier aggregated 5 MHz x 15 MHz LTE carrier.

AJ

Supplemental downlink for just about anything -- PCS, AWS, Cellular, etc.  But the PCS/AWS-2 H block holder would have the most interesting opportunity, since it could potentially lease or license, say, the lower 10 MHz of the AWS-4 2000-2020 MHz segment for an asymmetric carrier aggregated 5 MHz x 15 MHz LTE carrier.

AJ

That would require a band right? would that include that in the H block band or could they hack it together using band 23?

That would require a band right? would that include that in the H block band or could they hack it together using band 23?

No, band 23 would be of no help because this proposal would take the current band 23 uplink segment and turn it into a downlink segment.  And, as of yet, there is no H block band.

AJ

No, band 23 would be of no help because this proposal would take the current band 23 uplink segment and turn it into a downlink segment.  And, as of yet, there is no H block band.

AJ

Yeah, that's true. I bet since Dish has relented a little bit the H block gets tacked on to PCS, which means yet another new band. Sigh.

Yeah, that's true. I bet since Dish has relented a little bit the H block gets tacked on to PCS, which means yet another new band. Sigh.

It's not the end of the world, just more confusion. :/

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Once sprint deploys the H block does that mean their existing 5x5 on 1900 goes to 10x10 on 1900 and will that double the data speeds?

No.  And that question has been addressed numerous times already in The Forums.

AJ