Interview with Bob Azzi on iDen Shutdown at Fiercewireless

So if SMR and PCS are equal priority in the PRL, what decides which frequency to lock on to if both are available?

Sent from CM10.1 Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 4 beta

SNR (signal to noise ratio), or capacity?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-348-what-is-a-prl-part-2-evdo/

Bah, forgot those were there too :)

Close but PRLs do not choose networks based on signal strength.  All based on the priority levels and the order of the SIDs defined in the PRL.

To go just a little further with this, I have  a Galaxy S3.  Even though it has the latest PRL, with 800 meg being the first thing searched for in a scan of the PRL, you may not see any 800 meg unless the phone is made to search for it.

Turning the phone off and rebooting or toggling airplane mode will not make the phone find 800 meg.

If the phone has been using 1900 meg, it will continue to use 1900 meg until you somehow lose 1900 meg.  Then it will search and find 800 meg if it is available.

The only way to make it manually search for 800 meg is to do a PRL update. You probably will not get  a new PRL, but the phone may indicate that it did. Then after you acknowledge that the PRL update completed, the phone will search for the 800 meg and give it to you if it is available.

You will stay on 800 meg if you stay in a service area that is 800 meg active. If you leave the 800 meg coverage area, your phone could possibly find 1900 meg and you will again stay on 1900 meg.

This issue seems to be improving as time goes on.  I think it may be possible that the phone can remember where you were previously connected to and return to the 800 meg sometimes, but I am not positive about that.  I seem to find that the phone tends to find 800 meg on its own sometimes recently where it would not in the past.  Things may be getting better.

Each person will probably have a different experience with this. It will depend on how complete your 800 meg coverage is or is not.

I have a whole bunch of 800 active in my area. It is a big big big improvement in 1X coverage area.

When you get multiple 800 meg sites active, one site will fill in a coverage hole that exists with another sites coverage pattern.

When you have a building being hit with 800 meg from about 3 directions, somehow the 800 meg will find its way into the building.

I am seeing a -85 level in several buildings where the 1900 from the same sites was non-existent previously.

800 meg does not solve every issue, but it is a very big step forward in voice coverage.

So if SMR and PCS are equal priority in the PRL, what decides which frequency to lock on to if both are available?

The phone decides which to check for first using the PRL.  If 800 is there then it will idle there, if not, 1900 it is.  After traffic starts to pass, it's all up the basestation from there what happens.  And from what others are posting to force a rescan of the PRL sometimes a simple airplane mode will not force a full GEO rescan.  This does make sense though as the chipset "remembers" where it was before and will try to use this when radio resets happen.  This is why it sometimes takes a bit once you land in the airplane.  You fire up your phone and it tries to use the previous channel and SID when you left.  When it can't find it tries to go to the top of the GEO and search down, once it fails it then goes to the top of the PRL and starts working down to find your new home GEO.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would say the LTE portion of that is a mistake and it's really referring to CDMA on 800 only.  Since no devices have passed the FCC supporting LTE on that band class, there aren't any out that currently support LTE on 800.

EDIT:  Unless they are referring to the hotspots and broadband card that are coming out this summer that support LTE on 800MHz.  

The samsung Galaxy s4 on samsung website says it can handle LTE on 800mhz.

The samsung Galaxy s4 on samsung website says it can handle LTE on 800mhz.

No it doesn't.  Under the "Network" section it says LTE: Band 25.  Band 25 is LTE 1900.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SPH-L720ZPASPR-specs

Network Frequencies and Data Type LTE: Band 25; CDMA 1x/EVDO Rev.A: 800/850/1900MHz; HSPA+/UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100MHz; GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

No it doesn't.  Under the "Network" section it says LTE: Band 25.  Band 25 is LTE 1900.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SPH-L720ZPASPR-specs

Network Frequencies and Data Type LTE: Band 25; CDMA 1x/EVDO Rev.A: 800/850/1900MHz; HSPA+/UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100MHz; GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Well then.