Current Sprint PRLs

halcyoncmdr

Official change logs are on the second tab of the Google doc.

xxx97 - Updated to add Band Class 10 support nationwide for all planned markets. Roaming changes in eastern Colorado and western Kansas.

sorry missed that second tab first time looking.  So that will open up the 800 SMR freq once IDEN is shut down and it is turned on for the 1x?

sorry missed that second tab first time looking.  So that will open up the 800 SMR freq once IDEN is shut down and it is turned on for the 1x?

Yes, many areas already have Band Class 10 active if there was enough excess 800MHz spectrum in the area to allow it. Now that iDEN is shut down today we should start seeing a lot more sites go active with 800MHz. Unfortunately my area won't be a full overlay due to the IBEZ. Many towers are being upgraded to BC10 in my area, but not all.

6/28/2013 Update: 

Preferred Roaming List Release: Samsung Note II

On 6/13/13, Sprint released a new Preferred Roaming List (PRL) series 2xxx, for Samsung Note II (SPH-L900) devices only.

• The PRLs are designed to remove access to Sprint's 800 MHz network based on reported issues of the inability to make/receive voice calls and text messages while using this network.
  • The new PRL's have been sent out to all the Samsung Note II devices.
  • This is a temporary solution until a root cause and fix is found for this device.
  • The PRL will continue to allow access to Sprint's 1900 CDMA and roaming partner networks.
  • Customers experiencing problems should be directed to update the PRL via device settings.

Does anyone have an ETA on a PRL update that will finally allow Note II users to use 800 MHz bands? After waiting so long for the iDen network to finally shut down, it's kinda a bummer that we have to wait longer due to some nameless bug.

Edited by asaini007

Does anyone have an ETA on a PRL update that will finally allow Note II users to use 800 MHz bands? After waiting so long for the iDen network to finally shut down, it's kinda a bummer that we have to wait longer due to some nameless bug.

CDMA1X 800 is not going to be active and available everywhere overnight.  Give it a few weeks to a few months.  So, the temporary PRL is not likely the sticking point.

AJ

CDMA1X 800 is not going to be active and available everywhere overnight.  Give it a few weeks to a few months.  So, the temporary PRL is not likely the sticking point.

AJ

Thanks for the information.

This "nameless bug" will cause your Note II to stop working on calls and texting when it gets on the 800 network.  If you want to have that situation, just change the PRL to allow your Note to access the 800. I guarantee you that you will want to go back to the currently provided PRL.

This "nameless bug" will cause your Note II to stop working on calls and texting when it gets on the 800 network. If you want to have that situation, just change the PRL to allow your Note to access the 800. I guarantee you that you will want to go back to the currently provided PRL.

Would the same happen if you use the note 2 prl with the bug on another device? I'm using 56015 on my evo LTE and wanted to know if the same would happen.

Would the same happen if you use the note 2 prl with the bug on another device? I'm using 56015 on my evo LTE and wanted to know if the same would happen.

You sure do not want the PRL that is used on the Note.  Right now, it is a downgrade.

You sure do not want the PRL that is used on the Note. Right now, it is a downgrade.

I thought the 2000 series prl was the downgrade since it has no CDMA 800 support

This "nameless bug" will cause your Note II to stop working on calls and texting when it gets on the 800 network. If you want to have that situation, just change the PRL to allow your Note to access the 800. I guarantee you that you will want to go back to the currently provided PRL.

Which seems to only happen to certain people. I have seen more complaints over this new PRL removing coverage they people were used to on their Note2 than I have seen people say it fixed an issue.

I wonder if it is only with certain markets?

• Like 1

Which seems to only happen to certain people. I have seen more complaints over this new PRL removing coverage they people were used to on their Note2 than I have seen people say it fixed an issue.

SOME Note II phones do not work on 800 meg, so Sprint took 800 access out of the PRL temporarily.  I do not have any knowledge if this is happening all over the place or not. It COULD be one of the three vendors may have an issue or maybe just a few Note II's fail to work on 800.  It is my understanding that SOME "Notes" do not work at all on voice or text while they are on 800.

SOME Note II phones do not work on 800 meg, so Sprint took 800 access out of the PRL temporarily. I do not have any knowledge if this is happening all over the place or not. It COULD be one of the three vendors may have an issue or maybe just a few Note II's fail to work on 800. It is my understanding that SOME "Notes" do not work at all on voice or text while they are on 800.

Seems odd to impact everyone and incur more roaming costs. Seems like just swap them out as people call in or just swap out the batch that is bad.

There is more to it than just a few not working.

Seems odd to impact everyone and incur more roaming costs. Seems like just swap them out as people call in or just swap out the batch that is bad.

Somebody made the decision to just keep the Note II's off 800 until the cause of the issue is found and fixed. Actually, the Note II users never really had 800 until a few days ago, and they are not now worse off than they were a week ago.  But Yes, I would not be happy if I had a Note that did not work on 800. I do not know how many complaints they had, but it apparently was enough to cause them to do something quickly.

Somebody made the decision to just keep the Note II's off 800 until the cause of the issue is found and fixed. Actually, the Note II users never really had 800 until a few days ago, and they are not now worse off than they were a week ago. But Yes, I would not be happy if I had a Note that did not work on 800. I do not know how many complaints they had, but it apparently was enough to cause them to do something quickly.

Few days ago? Not true at all. Some areas have had it for quite some time. The Note2 had it for a while then it was removed due to the Iphone5 then finally it was broken off to its own PRL and the Note2 had 800smr once again.

Oh well.. No biggie. Us wireless junkies can do what we want with our device.

Where do people be getting these answers from?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

Where do people be getting these answers from?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

No idea.. Probably from the same place the CSR was getting hers from today telling me to put my phone in Cdma mode once again to fix my data issues.

• Like 3

Exchanging a phone incurs ~$300 in costs to Sprint for refurbishment of that exchanged device, shipping, etc. Obviously different models have different overall costs, but the Note II is definitely one of the most expensive ones.

Until they have a root cause, it is easier and more efficient to remove the 800SMR support through the PRLs, and then once they have a root cause, to determine the correct course of action moving forward. It may not be an issue with the physical phone, you are assuming it is. How do you determine what phones to replace when only some have the issue, an issue that can't be duplicated over the phone with Care, or in a retail S&R store? You can't base millions of dollars in potential warranty claims on what a few customers claim after reading anonymous posts on the Internet.

Once they know what's causing it they will determine how to correct the issue, it may require a physical phone replacement of some devices, it may just need a software Maintenance Release to correct a baseband/firmware/etc. bug that is causing it. It may just need a specially formatted PRL like the iPhone 4S At this point, they are all unsubstantiated guesses with no basis in fact..

• Like 1

Exchanging a phone incurs ~$300 in costs to Sprint for refurbishment of that exchanged device, shipping, etc. Obviously different models have different overall costs, but the Note II is definitely one of the most expensive ones.

Until they have a root cause, it is easier and more efficient to remove the 800SMR support through the PRLs, and then once they have a root cause, to determine the correct course of action moving forward. It may not be an issue with the physical phone, you are assuming it is. How do you determine what phones to replace when only some have the issue, an issue that can't be duplicated over the phone with Care, or in a retail S&R store? You can't base millions of dollars in potential warranty claims on what a few customers claim after reading anonymous posts on the Internet.

Once they know what's causing it they will determine how to correct the issue, it may require a physical phone replacement of some devices, it may just need a software Maintenance Release to correct a baseband/firmware/etc. bug that is causing it. It may just need a specially formatted PRL like the iPhone 4S At this point, they are all unsubstantiated guesses with no basis in fact..

You are a step behind on what we were talking about.  We were at the level of being not a software issue and being a hardware issue with some Note2's.  One would think Sprint would swap them since the customers were sold a defective product but looking at the past trends of things like this, Sprint will just leave it disabled on the Note2 for the life of the device and shove it under the rug. 

Not sure what you mean by specially formatted PRLs as that doesn't fix anything except for removing functionality which they have already done here.

You are a step behind on what we were talking about.  We were at the level of being not a software issue and being a hardware issue with some Note2's.  One would think Sprint would swap them since the customers were sold a defective product but looking at the past trends of things like this, Sprint will just leave it disabled on the Note2 for the life of the device and shove it under the rug. 

Not sure what you mean by specially formatted PRLs as that doesn't fix anything except for removing functionality which they have already done here.

I don't see any proof that it is a hardware issue though. Just an assumption. Unless you have access to some secret information somewhere I haven't seen.

It could just as easily be a radio issue that can be fixed via a software update from Samsung. We simply don't know at this point as Sprint and Samsung are still investigating.

Samsung alone will determine whether the device has a recall (unlikely given their history, has there ever been a recall in the wireless industry?). Sprint just works as a middle-man for warranty claims to make it easier on the customer. Sprint is not likely to spend millions of dollars replacing otherwise perfectly working devices that did not have 800MHz support at market introduction, they will leave that to Samsung to determine. Sprint is not liable for warranties since they do not build the devices, and Sprint does not claim to support manufacturer warranties directly. It is no different than if you purchased your device at Best Buy and had an issue. Best Buy won't just honor the manufacturer warranty, you have to have their protection plan. Sprint's TEP offers a supplement to the manufacturer's warranty, and will offer warranty service in store instead of having to send your device off to the manufacturer and wait however long it takes to repair or replace it. You can debate the differing ways of honoring warranties, and whether it is better for a carrier to cover warranty in store as policy or not, but that doesn't change the fact it is not covered by Sprint now.

I was referring to it being a specific issue possibly with the way the PRLs are formatted and there being a way to reformat them specifically for the Note II as the iPhone 4S. Currently the special temporary PRL just removed 800 support entirely, perhaps it doesn't need to be removed but just formatted differently for it to operate correctly (unlikely, but we can hope it's that simple).

No secrets, just going off what chamb was stating. 

You can't format it another way, the PRL setup is simple once you understand the relations in it.  So it's either going to have it or not.

*Banging on Bathroom* HEY!!!! STOP PLAYING WITH YOUR PRL AND COME OUT HERE BEFORE YOU GO BLIND!!!

• Like 2

No secrets, just going off what chamb was stating. 

You can't format it another way, the PRL setup is simple once you understand the relations in it.  So it's either going to have it or not.

Digiblur,

All I know is that recently Note 2 users started complaining that their phones did not work. It was determined that these phones would work on 1900 but not 800.  Voice calls and texting will not work on 800. When 800 started going active in more places, more complaints started to pour in. Nobody has offered any info as to why some of the Notes fail to work on 800, but to stop the complaints, they pulled  the 800 access out of the PRL for the Note2. That is not the solution we would want over the long term, but it stopped the total failure of calls and text on the Notes. I ASSUME this was happening enough that it was becoming quite an issue.

At least you can make calls and do some texting with the 800 removed. If the 800 was not removed, you would be walking around with a paperweight in your hand.

PRL FIGHT!

AJ

• Like 1

Digiblur,

All I know is that recently Note 2 users started complaining that their phones did not work. It was determined that these phones would work on 1900 but not 800.  Voice calls and texting will not work on 800. When 800 started going active in more places, more complaints started to pour in. Nobody has offered any info as to why some of the Notes fail to work on 800, but to stop the complaints, they pulled  the 800 access out of the PRL for the Note2. That is not the solution we would want over the long term, but it stopped the total failure of calls and text on the Notes. I ASSUME this was happening enough that it was becoming quite an issue.

At least you can make calls and do some texting with the 800 removed. If the 800 was not removed, you would be walking around with a paperweight in your hand.

What type of market is this in?  Alcatel-Lucent?  Ericsson?  Was this before the MC2 update? 

The reason I ask is there are several people here along with several on XDA that had no issues with 800SMR on their Note2.  I for one would have basically had a unusable phone during trip to Vegas last month if it were not for 800SMR saving the day.  EVDO was dead, no LTE available, and 1X PCS was also flooded.  My wife's S3 was a paperweight.  I noticed EVDO was dead so I forced to 1X only on the 800SMR that was in testing on 22429 and my Note2 sprang back to life, texting worked, voice worked and best of all data worked.  Definitely kills the time to read/post on S4GRU while waiting in line instead of looking at the back of someones head! 

I believe Vegas is a Samsung market, I've also used it in Dallas which is a Ericsson market.  But this was also before I upgraded to MC2. There's some sort of denominator to figure out here and hope they do figure it out soon as I'm sure it has negatively impacted customers that have seen a loss of coverage since they had the 800SMR for quite a while, it also impacts their roaming revenue as it totally undoes the huge initiative behind network vision.  Sprint/Ericsson hasn't launched any 800SMR in the Baton Rouge area yet so I can't say if it will work on the MC2 update but I will keep my eye out for it and do a full line of testing. 

PRL FIGHT!

AJ

No fight at all.  I just dial ##DATA# and mash PRL Write... ;)

• Like 2