Current Sprint PRLs

halcyoncmdr

My GS3 has been updated to PRL 25018, and seemingly will no longer connect to 1x800, no matter what I do (PRL update, go into poor coverage areas, whatever). Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what 25018 changes are?

Same deal with my Nexus 5.

Oh, Where is digiblur when we need him?  He is sorely, sorely missed!!!

• Like 2

I will be very interested when someone decodes 55018 (and other new ones which may exhibit similar behavior).  The link you posted into the Nebraska-Iowa thread suggests that 55018 may improve Airave behavior.  It may also have something to do with the tri-band "single radio" problem (I can't remember the acronym).  Unfortunately, I live in a place which is surrounded by excellent 1x800 coverage, but which has 1 non-upgraded Sprint site (precisely where I live, of course) and which badly needs a new site in the center of town (where my wife works, of course).  And I don't have a tri-band phone. For the past 2 days, I have had many, many failing texts and my voice-call quality has been absolutely awful, because I simply cannot get a 1x800 connection. I have had near-perfect text and voice service everywhere I have gone in Chicagoland for the past 7 or 8 months, ever since Nextel was shut down and 800 SMR was widely deployed here, and now, suddenly and without explanation, my voice/text service has essentially reverted back to (unacceptable) pre-NV levels.

Oh, and I also have an Airave, and it has been working fine for almost a year, and didn't need a PRL-induced fix.

So I will be quite interested to hear more.

Has anyone found where the actual PRL is for the iPhone 5S yet? The only thing in the sprint bundle is a .PRI file. After the recent PRL update it didn't alter any of the date/time stamps on the .PRI file yet the PRL has changed. All the other carrier bundles have a PRI and PRL file except Sprints. 

No more 1x800 for you! :)

No priority change, no 1x800 removal, just a change of PCS scan first, 1x800 scan second. They got tired of you guys with the mythical 1x800 doing PRL updates to idle on it.

I'm fine with this. 1x800 sucks.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

No more 1x800 for you! :) No priority change, no 1x800 removal, just a change of PCS scan first, 1x800 scan second.  They got tired of you guys with the mythical 1x800 doing PRL updates to idle on it.

For those if us who are not PRL wizards, is there a practical way to go back to 25017? In my location, my phone has become almost unusable.

No more 1x800 for you! :)

No priority change, no 1x800 removal, just a change of PCS scan first, 1x800 scan second.  They got tired of you guys with the mythical 1x800 doing PRL updates to idle on it. 

Damn that was really the only way I could connect to 1x800, unless I was in a real bad spot and I lost PCS completely. Guess I won't update. But either way I am in the same situation. :(

• Like 1

Seriously, the call quality is atrocious on 1x800. They've got a lot of work to do with it, IMO. But I get your joke. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Your statement needs to be "In my experiences with 1x800, the call quality was atrocious". Unless you have been in every single Sprint market that has 1x800 deployed AND have made phone calls in each of these markets to test the call quality, then there is absolutely no way that you can make a conclusion for the entirety of the nationwide Sprint network that the call quality of 1x800 is atrocious. There is a whole plethora of reasons as to why your call quality may not have been up to par.

-Anthony

• Like 4

Your statement needs to be "In my experiences with 1x800, the call quality was atrocious". Unless you have been in every single Sprint market that has 1x800 deployed AND have made phone calls in each of these markets to test the call quality, then there is absolutely no way that you can make a conclusion for the entirety of the nationwide Sprint network that the call quality of 1x800 is atrocious. There is a whole plethora of reasons as to why your call quality may not have been up to par.

-Anthony

I am an ex debator. you nailed it. santa

-Anthony

OK then, I have. It all sucks.

What an odd statement. Yes, there is a plethora but look around, the plethora says it sucks. Call quality.

Obviously it varies. That's what IMO means. In my opinion.

Here in CT I think 800 has the best call quality not just of Sprint, but all carriers. I can certainly tell when I am on 800 vs 1900 for voice.

Not sure where your plethora of data is besides a few people here and there, but I think that's expected, since no way 100 percent of people will agree the sky is blue.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I have 55018 on my Nexus 5 and I can stil get 1x800 here.

No one said anything about it precluding you from getting 1x800. The change if it was carried out nationwide (and I'm assuming it was) means you won't pick up 1x800 unless you are in a situation where your device can't connect to 1900 for voice. Once the device picks up 1x800 in a situation like that be it an office building a fringe coverage area, etc, it is going to stay on 1x800 until it loses Sprint service again or a prl update is initiated.

No one said anything about it precluding you from getting 1x800. The change if it was carried out nationwide (and I'm assuming it was) means you won't pick up 1x800 unless you are in a situation where your device can't connect to 1900 for voice. Once the device picks up 1x800 in a situation like that be it an office building a fringe coverage area, etc, it is going to stay on 1x800 until it loses Sprint service again or a prl update is initiated.

I thought that was the original functionality.  My N5 will only pick up 1x800 if I force it to 3G or 1x only.  I have never been in an environment where 1900 was unusable so I haven't been able to test that though.

What an odd statement. Yes, there is a plethora but look around, the plethora says it sucks. Call quality.

[N. B.: The following is not a rant. It is, after the style of a Greek tragedy, more in the style of a lamentation by the off-stage chorus, pointing out how the gods have begun tormenting the hero (that would be me), in preparation for squashing him into paste, as if he were an annoying insect. We who are about to be paste salute you. Note to Robert: You should put some sort of block on my account preventing me from posting at this time of the morning, so that others are not subjected to my lunatic attempts at humor.]

This is an open thread, so I will phrase my response carefully: The sponsor maps show that certain areas (Chicago, Minneapolis, West Michigan, Indy, for example) are nearly 100% complete for 800 voice. In those areas, in my experience, when I am on 800 voice, my call quality is excellent and texts go through. Madison/Milwaukee (and most of the rest of the country) does not have anywhere near 100% completion, so at this time, you probably haven't seen the same amount of voice/text improvement, if any improvement at all.

My personal problem -- well, I have many personal problems, but this isn't Dear Abby -- with the new PRL is that by dumb luck, I live in one of the very few locations in my market that DOESN'T have an 800-upgraded Sprint site, and it just happens that I am also adjacent to an area with very fringy 1900 voice, but not fringy enough to lose 1900 completely. So, even though I am totally surrounded by wonderful, strong, voice- and text-perfect 800 coverage, once I am camped on 1900, the new PRL will not let me connect to 800 no matter what I do. With PRL 25017, I used to be able to force a PRL update, which had the unintended consequence of pushing me onto 800. Not any more, with PRL 25018. So my texts have begun failing again, just like they did 8 or 9 months ago, and my voice calls are totally crappy and have begun dropping again. And because I live in a location not yet upgraded, I have and need an Airave, so every time I go home, I go back on 1900 voice.

So, goodbye to all the benefits of NV for me! And, because my local tower is not upgraded, my LTE coverage also sucks. Thus, thanks to a tiny little change in the PRL, and my unfortunate geographic location, I feel like Sprint has decided that I personally should be punished. Severely.

Oh, and it's only paranoia when they are NOT after you.

• Like 1

So, goodbye to all the benefits of NV for me! And, because my local tower is not upgraded, my LTE coverage also sucks. Thus, thanks to a tiny little change in the PRL, and my unfortunate geographic location, I feel like Sprint has decided that I personally should be punished. Severely.

Oh, and it's only paranoia when they are NOT after you.

No, I get what you're saying completely. For me, coverage increased and improved in many locals, but calls are often choppy, voice cuts out, I hear static, etc. This only happens for me on 800. (and I've experienced this in Baltimore, Connecticut, San Francisco, St Louis and Wisconsin). Therefore, I'd rather keep that PCS voice until they get this worked out. On 55017, I would only be on 800 and that made calls bad. On top of that, my bluetooth connection in my Durango won't make calls out because Samsung phones have a bug when on 800 that when the car double checks on the status of the call, the phone returns a null answer and it disconnects the phone from the radio. This doesn't happen on 1900. Samsung knows about this and is reportedly working on it. So for me, 800 is a pile of fail at the moment. Mileage may vary, obviously. And if I didn't have that Uconnect radio on my Durango, I'd probably have a different opinion.

Plethora: a large or excessive amount of (something)

The plethora I was referring to is the large amount of different reasons that your experience wasn't very swell. For example, maybe all the towers may not be upgraded, maybe the site was over capacity, maybe the tower wasn't optimized yet, maybe it was still in testing mode, maybe etc etc etc.

I understand that it is your opinion, I was merely pointing out that they way your post was worded, it made it seem like you were saying a fact about the entire nationwide Sprint network, instead of what you have experienced in a localized area. 

Anyways, this is a PRL thread, not the 800 MHz thread.

-Anthony