Current Sprint PRLs

halcyoncmdr

Hmm do you notice any changes in reception

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

PRLs only determine what SIDs your phone can access and control the phone's CDMA behavior. I wouldn't see any change really unless Sprint has added a new CDMA roaming partner.

I'm pretty sure PRL's have nothing to do with reception.

For the vast majority of users in the vast majority of places the vast majority of the time, PRL updates have zero effect on service -- native or roaming.  Concern over having the latest PRL is overblown.

AJ

• Like 2

For the vast majority of users in the vast majority of places the vast majority of the time, PRL updates have zero effect on service -- native or roaming.  Concern over having the latest PRL is overblown.

AJ

Only thing recently that caused the need for a forced PRL update was Sprint shuffling PCS spectrum with the other carriers.

Only thing recently that caused the need for a forced PRL update was Sprint shuffling PCS spectrum with the other carriers.

Even that is generally not an all or nothing situation.  Spectrum swaps rarely are flash cuts.  As long as one CDMA1X carrier remains the same, a device on an older PRL still can acquire the network.  Not to mention, with single RF path e/CSFB devices that camp on LTE, CDMA2000 network acquisition is little more than an afterthought these days.

AJ

55057 did seem to fix my VZW EVDO roaming issues.  :-D

I'd connect to it but not get any data 95% of the time. All the towers I have hit VZW on, only two gave me any data. Not sure what that would be, could be many things, but so far on 55057 every VZW tower is giving me data now.

55057 did seem to fix my VZW EVDO roaming issues. :-D

I'd connect to it but not get any data 95% of the time. All the towers I have hit VZW on, only two gave me any data. Not sure what that would be, could be many things, but so far on 55057 every VZW tower is giving me data now.

Good to hear although I think 55058 is the most recent PRL as of now....

• 4 weeks later...

Well, now that I'm back at Sprint again, I have access to the matrix I had before. It's a different and less user-friendly thing now unfortunately. I'll try and rework the first post with a new system and keep it updated going forwards again.

• Like 10

Well, now that I'm back at Sprint again, I have access to the matrix I had before. It's a different and less user-friendly thing now unfortunately. I'll try and rework the first post with a new system and keep it updated going forwards again.

What you doing now?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Same thing I did before, I'm a Retail Tech.

BTW, got it updated. The entire PRL system is much simpler now than it used to be.

You say international changes only. Is there just CDMA international roaming? Or does it also affect GSM international roaming?

Sent from my Pixel XL

You say international changes only. Is there just CDMA international roaming? Or does it also affect GSM international roaming?

Sent from my Pixel XL

It appears it was CDMA international roaming specifically, removal of all remaining international CDMA roaming with the exception of Canada.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Previous posts about Verizon CDMA roaming issues moved to a more relevant thread.

Sorry. I figured since this was the Preferred Roaming List, it was a suitable place since roaming issues could extend way beyond Verizon. I can't verify if the same issues show up with Five Star Wireless since they've never offered data roaming.

Maybe someone in Commnet area can verify if the same issues appear on Android BYOD.

• 1 month later...

I have Sprint and my phone is a Moto G 2015 XT1548.  I am about to go for vacation on a cruise and would like to make sure I will be able to roam internationally.  Sprint has an International roaming agreement with the cruise ship I will be on and most of the countries I will be visiting have CDMA towers so that foreigners can "roam" specially on the tourist attractions which will be the areas I will be at.

I updated my PRL a few days ago and it is: 25060

Going by the list, it falls within the non world phone PRL's.

However, what I find ironic is that I have a NON -activated sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 Triband that was precisely my previous phone, well that PRL is 55060 and according to the first two letters of that PRL it falls within the "World Phone" category, so I guess according to sprint my Previous phone is a "World Phone" that can work in any country, presumably even being able to roam in GSM networks on top of being able to roam on CDMA networks (my assumptions), where my much newer Moto G3 XT1548 is labeled as a "Non World Phone" whose meaning is not entirely clear for me on what that means, if it means that the XT1548 wont work outside the USA full stop or what.  

So, should I worry that my PRL is 25060 (residential non world phone) and not within the 55xxx range (residential world phone as my old Galaxy S3 is)?

Edited by FNetV1

Generally much smarter to use wifi (if available) on the cruise ship as the cost can be far cheaper.

Generally much smarter to use wifi (if available) on the cruise ship as the cost can be far cheaper.

Thanks for the reply.  I am aware that I am use wireless, but I am more interested technically wise, if a 25060 PRL, or in other words, a 25xxx PRL will connect to internationally CDMA partners, or will the PRL *HAS* to be a 55xxx (residential world phone) or 56xxx (corporate world phone), so if you have a sprint device and it has a 25xxx PRL, and you were to travel, will that on it self be a barrier to not being able to "roam" internationally?

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that I am use wireless, but I am more interested technically wise, if a 25060 PRL, or in other words, a 25xxx PRL will connect to internationally CDMA partners, or will the PRL *HAS* to be a 55xxx (residential world phone) or 56xxx (corporate world phone), so if you have a sprint device and it has a 25xxx PRL, and you were to travel, will that on it self be a barrier to not being able to "roam" internationally?

Most of Sprint's international roaming partners aren't CDMA. If your phone supports the HSPA or GSM bands of the roaming partner, it *should* work. GSM and HSPA don't use a PRL.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Most of Sprint's international roaming partners aren't CDMA. If your phone supports the HSPA or GSM bands of the roaming partner, it *should* work. GSM and HSPA don't use a PRL.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Actually, I think all international CDMA roaming been taken off.

Yes. Entirely outside of a few select cruises I believe.

hmmm interesting, so Sprint allows CDMA roaming on cruise ships (eg. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc), so I suppose for those you might need a 55xxx/56xxx based PRL IF you plan to take SOME advantage in roaming on a cruise ship?

Also, I have been doing some research in reference to the Samsung Galaxy S3 and how some providers like Verizon (I dont know about Sprint, but must likely too) has unlocked the GSM radio, or enabled the phone's GSM radio to actually work when you travel internationally, is this true for the SPH-L710T (Triband Galaxy S3)? for Sprint?  The only hint that I have here is that the phone gets a "world phone" level of PRL (55xxx) while the Sprint Moto G3 and a Sprint HTC Desre 510 both have the non-world phone based PRL of 25xxx.  All what I know is that I have never called Sprint to enable the Galaxy S3 unlock for International use, but based on the article I read, I think Sprint might have auto unlocked its GSM radio for international roaming purposes, or that the Galaxy S3 do come with its GSM radio already unlocked for international use by default.  

I though that the "PRL" controlled everything related to the phone's roaming capabilities (well partly its true only for CDMA based networks), I didn't know that a phone could connect to a GSM network offshore totally independent to what the PRL within the device itself says where you can geographically have "service".  

Edited by FNetV1

I though that the "PRL" controlled everything related to the phone's roaming capabilities (well partly its true only for CDMA based networks), I didn't know that a phone could connect to a GSM network offshore totally independent to what the PRL within the device itself says where you can geographically have "service".

Nope, that's what the SIM card is for. PRLs are CDMA only, and control non-roaming connectivity as well (prioritizing some channels over others, some carriers over others, etc). The device will not connect to a network, or even channel on a network, via CDMA that isn't in the list.

The SIM controls what GSM (including LTE) networks your phone connects to. It may have some defaults to scan for (Sprint starts with B25 or B26 I believe) or other "smarts" on the SIM microcontroller, but if it doesn't find native service (and the phone doesn't "remember" a previously connected network), then it starts cycling through all the bands it supports looking for something. It'll attempt authentication on every network it finds, if it fails, then it moves on. Usually once on a roaming network that network takes over and can move the device to another band or technology (say GSM to UMTS/HSPA).

The modem does sort of keep a memory of connected sites and bands, and tends to scan for them first. So when entering a new country it will often take a bit (several minutes) for it to find roaming service. Once it does though it'll remember and quickly hop back on it if you reboot or airplane toggle or anything.

Sent from my Pixel XL