Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

I was told that clearwire will be less than 100 employees within a few months, lots have already been layed off.

As far as the network and existing wimax customers, its hard to say what Son and Hesse have up their sleeves.

I would like to see them do an unlimited lte hotspot, with the current plans caps used for 3g usage.

But if they don't, I will be keeping my clearspot $50 unlimited plan until they shut down wimax for good.

• Like 1

This is why things like abuse of unlimited data and unauthorized tethering are so harmful to the network. If one guy is sitting there chewing through all the bandwidth of a single sector/carrier, it harms the experience of others on that site.

You make it sound as though Sprint has not employed any network management, QoS, or traffic shaping...
  • Like 1

You make it sound as though Sprint has not employed any network management, QoS, or traffic shaping...

Sure, they can employ that all they like. But when you have "Time Division" and "Frequency Division", when a mobile device is connected continually, it's always taking up space that someone else can't use. You can traffic shape all day, but an abuser is still an abuser, as wireless is inherently shared. Even if traffic-shaped, an always-on "home user" who eats 50 GB of data a month from tethering is causing a negative experience for others on their site.

The thread

Qqk7bP7.png

has been fixed. This topic is for discussing TD-LTE 2500/2600 and not for CDMA 1x, future network moves, or discussion regarding 600 mhz. 

• Like 1

Lol. Well, to wrap up that previous discussion that was so unceremoniously terminated, let's hope the FCC doesn't require any EBS divestments in return for a 600 MHz carve-out. I could see the twin bells lobbying for that if they can't stop spectrum limits on them altogether. I want 160 MHz of TDD LTE (or however much Sprint would hold now after the Wi-Max shutdown).

Must have gigabit, must have gigabit... I know, totally overkill for cell phones, but maybe it'll force fixed-line ISP's to match Google Fiber and FiOS sooner.

Edit: Just noticed the previous discussion was moved here, if anyone got lost. Thanks lilotimz!

• Like 1

Lol. Well, to wrap up that previous discussion that was so unceremoniously terminated, let's hope the FCC doesn't require any EBS divestments in return for a 600 MHz carve-out. I could see the twin bells lobbying for that if they can't stop spectrum limits on them altogether. I want 160 MHz of TDD LTE (or however much Sprint would hold now after the Wi-Max shutdown).

Must have gigabit, must have gigabit... I know, totally overkill for cell phones, but maybe it'll force fixed-line ISP's to match Google Fiber and FiOS sooner.

Edit: Just noticed the previous discussion was moved here, if anyone got lost. Thanks lilotimz!

Carriers are deploying LTE for CAPACITY not individual throughout. They deployed it to keep up with demand and have decent data speeds per user, not to give each user 50mbps average speeds.

Not sure if you were implying that Sprint might be able to compete with ISPs but don't. A cell tower is shared so the download speeds are divided by number of users.

Take Netflix stream, 2.6-3.8mbps, multiply by 100 users and what do you get? More than Sprint will be able to support for a long time.

Carriers are deploying LTE for CAPACITY not individual throughout...

I was talking about peak (advertised) speeds, not real world averages. Plus current caps are way too low for serious home broadband use. I wouldn't consider it an adequate replacement for my cable ISP, but for casual users who don't mind the caps, it might produce a semblance of competition to the DSL/cable broadband duopoly (and in areas where VZ is abandoning DSL, cable monopoly) that exists in many places. LTE-A does call for speeds up to a gigabit, after all.

LTE-A does call for speeds up to a gigabit, after all.

Yeah, but in about a gigahertz of spectrum bandwidth.

AJ

• Like 1

Which extra band do you suggest? Kind of premature to know the next band used. Since there are so many different LTE carriers possible in the EBS/BRS bands, there may not be enough room inside the panel for more antennas than just these bands.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You think they will come up with triband panels? 800,1900,2500

I wonder if Sprint will reuse any equipment (mainly panels) from clearwire's current setup and move the equipment down to the sprint rack (on colocated towers) and install dual mode rru for TD LTE/WiMax installs. For cost savings on NV towers. Also will sprint build out more TD LTE to just more than the top 100 cities. Even if it is just a couple sites here and there in small towns?

Random but I was checking the sprint WiMAX footprint on sensorly and I was kind of shocked to see WiMAX in a lot of markets in the US. Hopefully softbank plans to replace the whole WiMAX footprint with TD LTE. I know some markets don't need it as much but it would be awesome if they do.

And I know sprint is working to get customers off WiMAX to LTE. Sprint should just make those customers eligible for an upgrade and go ahead announce a WiMAX shut off date. I know they said 2015 but I wonder if they can bump it up sooner

They could, but I don't expect it. I anticipate separate TD-LTE 2600 antenna/panels.

Robert via Nexus 7 HD using Tapatalk 4

And I know sprint is working to get customers off WiMAX to LTE. Sprint should just make those customers eligible for an upgrade and go ahead announce a WiMAX shut off date. I know they said 2015 but I wonder if they can bump it up sooner

They don't need it sooner. They will just relegate WiMax to one carrier, 10 or even 5MHz until the shut of date. To leave one 5MHz TDD WiMax carrier active will not take much resources at all.

• Like 1

They don't need it sooner. They will just relegate WiMax to one carrier, 10 or even 5MHz until the shut of date. To leave one 5MHz TDD WiMax carrier active will not take much resources at all.

To put it another way, just one contiguous 20 MHz segment needs to be identified or cleared per sector for TD-LTE.  And it does not need to be the same 20 MHz on every sector.  So, the initial TD-LTE deployment will not take much in the way of spectrum resources.

AJ

• Like 2

I wonder if Sprint will reuse any equipment (mainly panels) from clearwire's current setup and move the equipment down to the sprint rack (on colocated towers) and install dual mode rru for TD LTE/WiMax installs. For cost savings on NV towers. Also will sprint build out more TD LTE to just more than the top 100 cities. Even if it is just a couple sites here and there in small towns?

They may do this in the few places they are relocating Clearwire to a nearby redundant Sprint NV site. This would allow them to decommission some redundant sites. But there are not many Clearwire sites that are really close to Sprint sites. Most of the time if they needed a site close to an existing Sprint site, those ended up being colocated.

It's possible they may do this on the 40% of Clearwire sites that are colocated with Sprint CDMA, though. This would result in some more decommissioning and operational savings.

However, in places where Clearwire is not near a Sprint CDMA site, these should be upgraded to NV in my opinion. Also, do not forget that Sprint must replace all their Huawei equipment at Clearwire sites. They offered that up to get Feds to approve the buyout. I don't know how pervasive Huawei equipment is on the Clearwire network, but almost every Protection Site I've seen has Huawei.

• Like 2

To put it another way, just one contiguous 20 MHz segment needs to be identified or cleared per sector for TD-LTE.  And it does not need to be the same 20 MHz on every sector.  So, the initial TD-LTE deployment will not take much in the way of spectrum resources.

Wait, Robert has already experienced TD-LTE in Denver.  Did we track any EARFCNs to see if Clearwire is using the same or different TD-LTE center frequencies?  Oh, what was I thinking?

AJ

They already have tri-band antennas. Sprint is using them in their Network Vision rollout. Two of the bands are the same though.  There are some other antennas out there that are 3 separate bands though.  I'm sure they could make a quad band antenna meant for Sprint if they signed off to buy enough of them as the antenna would definitely be unique to them.

Seriously? Who the hell derailed the thread again?

Next person to derail this thread will get a vacation. 

*glares at above posters*

Please DO NOT DERAIL thread.

• Like 2

So has anyone else picked up BC41 LTE service? I'm up for my rebate soon so I'll pick up the Netgear hotspot and test.

What? Is my experience not enough for you? :rofl:

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

What? Is my experience not enough for you? :rofl:

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

My friend, you're geographically limited. Now if you can make it out to the East Coast, we'll chat :)

• Like 1

My friend, you're geographically limited. Now if you can make it out to the East Coast, we'll chat :)

Robert might be brave enough to come to the East Coast, but getting him into JERSEY might be much more difficult.

• Like 2