iPhone vs Android users visualized by geographic location

kckid

Pretty cool Visual map by mapbox of  iPhone vs Android twitter users.

"More than 280 million Tweets posted from mobile phones reveal geographic usage patterns in unprecedented detail"

http://www.mapbox.com/labs/twitter-gnip/brands/#4/37.37/-102.35

2JCtLJPs.png

• Like 6

Uh, have we not all seen this map many times before?  It is just the US at night from space.

us_night.gif

AJ

• Like 1

LOL..yes, it does look eerily similar.  But it's awesome, agreed.  Especially noting that the only true BB strongholds (and I use this term rather loosely here) are in the Greater Toronto Area (no real surprise there) and some also in Miami, NYC and Los Angeles...all places with massive international communities.

The zoomed in map is much better than the entire country.  It seems to favor the red iPhone tweets, but when you actually zoom in I tend to see more green, just not as tightly compacted.  IE Lansing. MI area has a great deal more green than red, but East Lansing at the MSU campus is a block of red, however, the zoomed out map just shows that block of red.

Uh, have we not all seen this map many times before?  It is just the US at night from space.

AJ

Nope. Click around. Turn phone types on and off. There are islands of some types, and rivers of others.

And poor blackberry...

(also, zoom out, it's worldwide)

Nope. Click around. Turn phone types on and off. There are islands of some types, and rivers of others.

And poor blackberry...

(also, zoom out, it's worldwide)

I know.  I have a degree in geography and was just making a geography joke.  Compare most any dot map -- cellphone usage, tweet location, Chinese restaurants, or even crimes committed -- to an actual image of the US at night from space, and you will see strongly positive correlation.  It is all related to population density.

But, yes, you are right that the different OS layers of the map do present some interesting differences.  In my local market, Kansas City, for example, iOS predominance positively correlates with wealthier residential areas and business districts within the metro, while Android predominance positively correlates with po' parts of town.  And I could readily point that out in other markets, too.

AJ

• Like 1

How many degrees do you have, Sir Professor Scholar Gentleman?

Oh, not many.  Geography and Film.  Not as many as I probably should have, nor as many as some might assume I have.  But, without revealing too much, I have some psychological characteristics that do not play well with the bureaucratic nature of higher ed.

Thus, I do not throw around credentials.  Instead, I hope that my demonstrated knowledge and intelligence speak for themselves, as I am probably best described as a polymath and autodidact.

AJ

• Like 4

In before we forget this thread is about a map

Worry not, lest we forget, there is a YouTube clip for every situation...

AJ