AT&T LTE Site Spacing Question

I've seen various times around the site that Verizon's 700 Mhz LTE site spacing is rather large and they don't have it deployed on all the towers they have EVDO, whereas Sprint is going to deploy 800 Mhz LTE on most (I think I've seen 85%?) of their sites. Meaning for in-building coverage Sprint would have a better set-up. Has AT&T done the same thing as Verizon and used the fact that 700 has a large range and deployed it to just achieve coverage? I haven't really seen a lot of mention of AT&T's LTE on this site and was curious how Sprint's 800 Mhz will likely compare to theirs once completed in an area.

In my area AT&T has tighter spacing on their 700mhz LTE than Sprint does on their 1900 LTE. Same thing on the 850 voice/data side of things vs Sprint 1900 voice/data.

How about cell spacing relative to subscriber base density?

In my area AT&T has tighter spacing on their 700mhz LTE than Sprint does on their 1900 LTE. Same thing on the 850 voice/data side of things vs Sprint 1900 voice/data.

I can vouch for this as well. In my area at&t has many more sites, all which have LTE than sprint has. NV deployment is ongoing in my area, no LTE from sprint yet. At&t has the densest grid where I live in Ohio.

In my area AT&T has tighter spacing on their 700mhz LTE than Sprint does on their 1900 LTE.  Same thing on the 850 voice/data side of things vs Sprint 1900 voice/data.

I can vouch for this as well. In my area at&t has many more sites, all which have LTE than sprint has. NV deployment is ongoing in my area, no LTE from sprint yet. At&t has the densest grid where I live in Ohio.

So I would imagine you both see pretty good reception in larger buildings?

I usually don't have an issue in buildings, but in heavily wooded areas, LTE drops out and I pick up HSPA+ on 1900mhz. That's the unfortunate nature of LTE even on a lower frequency.

No idea.  I don't have AT&T.  Sprint doesn't fair to well indoors in the capitol city here.  I'm lucky to have EVDO indoors most of the time, had LTE for the first time indoors at a restaurant last night.  Most sites around me have LTE now except a few stragglers.

There's such thing as a wooden cell tower?

Yep, Alltel had tons of them around here until Verizon bought them.  Some have been decommissioned, some have been strengthened or replaced with metal ones and dual band antennas thrown up on them, 

This one used to be wooden Alltel CDMA site..  you'll appreciate the irony of this one:

http://goo.gl/maps/gta77

This one is still wooden today:

http://goo.gl/maps/sznQp

http://goo.gl/maps/OfCaC

• Like 4

Why is the OP inundating our pages with AT&T threads and posts? Please stop. You're derailing our forum. Find an AT&T forum if all your discussions are going to be about AT&T.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

While we're on this topic. Does Sprint plan on increasing its density at any point? It seems like in my area they skip sites that everybody else is on

I think they are focused on this little Network Vision thing right now.

I think they are focused on this little Network Vision thing right now.

Oh of course we don't need anything distracting them right now lol. I was just wondering if they would do something like that as a part of NV 2.0

There has been no mention of increasing density via macro cells. However, micro cells (aka small cells and pico cells) are going to be all the rage in 2014. Sprint says they are endorsing small cell deployment in a big way. And with the projected increase in cash capex expected in 2014 and 2015, it should be a pretty strong push.

This is where I expect the backing of SoftBank to push the Sprint network into a fully competitive carrier.

• Like 1

In my area AT&T has tighter spacing on their 700mhz LTE than Sprint does on their 1900 LTE.  Same thing on the 850 voice/data side of things vs Sprint 1900 voice/data.

1) How do you know where ATT's LTE towers are?

2) If this fact is true, isn't this negligent on Sprint's part?

Or is it commendable on ATT's part? 

1) How do you know where ATT's LTE towers are?

2) If this fact is true, isn't this negligent on Sprint's part?

Or is it commendable on ATT's part? 

1) Same way I knew where every Sprint tower was in my area before S4GRU, by looking up.

2) Pick your poison.  I'm not going to take the bait on either.

There has been no mention of increasing density via macro cells. However, micro cells (aka small cells and pico cells) are going to be all the rage in 2014. Sprint says they are endorsing small cell deployment in a big way. And with the projected increase in cash capex expected in 2014 and 2015, it should be a pretty strong push.

This is where I expect the backing of SoftBank to push the Sprint network into a fully competitive carrier.

Why not macro first then small?

I thought carriers preferred macro sites to small cells?

Which modes and bands will Sprint's small cells support?

2) Pick your poison.  I'm not going to take the bait on either.

I didn't know it was possible to put 700MHz tighter than PCS.

I know there's ranges in the tower densities for each band - going from almost losing coverage at cell edges to getting interference if they're too close together - but I never thought the ranges for tower densities overlapped. 

Alcatel-Lucent has already been approved for a PCS Dual Mode CDMA/LTE small cell antenna. That's the only one we know about so far.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Alcatel-Lucent has already been approved for a PCS Dual Mode CDMA/LTE small cell antenna. That's the only one we know about so far.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Which bands?

Will Sprint deploy small cells with all 3 LTE bands?