Comments related to the NV Running List Thread

I can connect to LTE and maybe a few minutes later it will drop, it only ever had a -110 -120 db signal to begin with and that can achieve 5-10mbps which is more than I need on a phone but when I lose it and 3G kicks in back to .2kbps. If I am getting LTE it shouldn't be legacy equipment right? Also 1900mhz LTE sucks indoors. Without becoming a premier sponsor is there any info or city deployment list of LTE800? My contract is up in april and I might jump ship if it's going to be a long time before better coverage and LTE800

First, the -110db to -120db signal means you are on the edge of an LTE signal and almost unusable, thats why your phone keeps flipping back over to 3G. The LTE is on the new backhaul and doesn't mean the 3G side of things have been connected yet.  You should compare the sites that are slated to get network vision upgrades to the sites that have been completed in your area, preferably the closest to your home. 

family roadtrip through to florida! from buffalo new york... hopefully tons of 4g for netflix lol but wIsh me luck the virginia's DAMN YOU NTELOS. First time ive done with with a 4g lte phone (done it once before with wimax) legit mapped my trip where i was gonna get 4g for a long time!

• 1 month later...

I got a text from Sprint stating that my "network is nearly upgraded". Does that mean that we are finally getting LTE? Pendleton, Oregon. Plus the surrounding Oregon cities of Hermiston, La Grande, Milton-Freewater and Walla Walla, Washington.

I got a text from Sprint stating that my "network is nearly upgraded". Does that mean that we are finally getting LTE? Pendleton, Oregon. Plus the surrounding Oregon cities of Hermiston, La Grande, Milton-Freewater and Walla Walla, Washington.

I received the text here in South Dakota.  I don't even have a Sprint line anymore, but I keep getting texts sent to my old number via Google Voice.  My Sprint account address has been in South Dakota since September.  So they are basically saying that the network will be ready here in 30 days in a place they do not even offer service.

I think the texts are just something from Sprint marketing to have people keep hope that network improvements are still occurring.  And that the physical NV upgrades will be pretty much complete for the most part in the next 30 days nationwide.  I wouldn't interpret these texts to mean anything about LTE being completed in specific cities or neighborhoods in the next 30 days.  It's meant to help stop the loss of subscribers.

If people like me are getting the texts, that means they are pretty meaningless.  And the only reason why some of you haven't gotten them is they are still sending them out.  People are reporting still getting them today.

Robert

My wife got the text on Monday. Mine came down today. We're on the same account. Doesn't appear to have any rhyme or reason. The text seems meaningless anyway considering NV has largely been complete in my area for some time now.

I haven't gotten a text yet and the Jax market is pretty much near complete besides a few random sites and the typical Ericsson treatment for SMR being the plague.

Wat does it take for a market to start the 1x800 build?

The OEM has to be ready with the carrier cards and the local rebanding needs to be complete and all the rebanders cleared.

Robert

Thanks because the New Orleans market hasnt seem to start.

It should soon.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

with most of the markets at or even significantly below 50% completion (they do have some large markets with 60 or 70% or more completion) for the LTE portion of the upgrade do we have any idea when the 4G (not talking spark) portion of the upgrade will be completed?

just based on how things have gone it would seem to me that we're at least a year away... thats my anecdotal assessment.

wondering what you guys think?

with most of the markets at or even significantly below 50% completion (they do have some large markets with 60 or 70% or more completion) for the LTE portion of the upgrade do we have any idea when the 4G (not talking spark) portion of the upgrade will be completed?

just based on how things have gone it would seem to me that we're at least a year away... thats my anecdotal assessment.

wondering what you guys think?

No way to say. In places where the NV Upgrade percentage is high, like 85% or higher, but the LTE percentage accepted is significantly lower, like 50% or lower, then the issue is backhaul. Depending on what the backhaul issue is in a market, it could mean that backhaul could arrive at all remaining sites in a short period.

Once backhaul is upgraded at a site, then an LTE integration tech just needs to go to the site and spend an hour or two integrating the site with the network and firing it up. So many of these could complete quickly.

The bigger issue is not the sites physically complete and not live with LTE. It's the sites that are outstanding that keep a market from getting to 100% NV Upgrades complete. Because no work has been done on those sites at all yet. And they aren't ready for LTE yet at all. These are caused from a variety of issues from site owners not allowing access, structural problems, permitting/planning, etc. These sites will be a slog all the way to the end.

However, most of those problematic sites are isolated. And once LTE 800 comes online in many markets, they will broadcast usable LTE over them. By mid 2014, most of Sprint native coverage areas will have usable LTE from one band or another, regardless of straggling sites.

• Like 1

Network Vision 1.0 hardware upgrades should be completed by Q2 2014, but doesn't mean all of Sprint's sites will see LTE due to the lack of vendors execution of installing the new high-speed backhaul.  Sprint's LTE footprint should be pretty close to their 3G footprint by the end of the year, just my guess, we shall see what happens.  Cheers! :)   

Will LTE 800 be able to be turned on fairly quickly at sites already broadcast ing LTE 1900 with the correct backhaul? or is that more related to the spark rollout?

how many problem sites are there? 5%, 10%?

is it safe to say 50% of the country is facing backhaul issues?

this might not be the best thread to ask but will the connection rule for LTE 800 be the same as for CDMA800?

Will LTE 800 be able to be turned on fairly quickly at sites already broadcast ing LTE 1900 with the correct backhaul? or is that more related to the spark rollout?

how many problem sites are there? 5%, 10%?

is it safe to say 50% of the country is facing backhaul issues?

this might not be the best thread to ask but will the connection rule for LTE 800 be the same as for CDMA800?

LTE 800 can be turned on quickly at an LTE 1900 site. It's just an install of an 800MHz LTE carrier card at the base station cabinet. And a fire up by an LTE integration tech. A few hours. One tech could probably do three a day if there wasn't a lot of travel time between.

The biggest issue with firing up LTE 800 is getting cards from the OEM's (which have been slow coming so far) and getting the markets clear of incumbent SMR public safety licensees. The FCC has granted some extensions in some markets that is preventing Sprint from starting to deploy LTE on 800 in some areas. But it is happening. There are already 300 known active LTE 800 sites in Samsung and Ericsson markets. And more happening every day.

LTE 800 can be turned on quickly at an LTE 1900 site. It's just an install of an 800MHz LTE carrier card at the base station cabinet. And a fire up by an LTE integration tech. A few hours. One tech could probably do three a day if there wasn't a lot of travel time between. The biggest issue with firing up LTE 800 is getting cards from the OEM's (which have been slow coming so far) and getting the markets clear of incumbent SMR public safety licensees. The FCC has granted some extensions in some markets that is preventing Sprint from starting to deploy LTE on 800 in some areas. But it is happening. There are already 300 known active LTE 800 sites in Samsung and Ericsson markets. And more happening every day. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Do we know what markets the FCC has granted extensions, and the markets where public safety licenses are to blame? I haven't seen this mentioned before.

Do we know what markets the FCC has granted extensions, and the markets where public safety licenses are to blame? I haven't seen this mentioned before.

We have not searched this out exclusively.  We know of Orange County, California and Dade County, Florida.  There are likely others too.

Robert

LTE 800 can be turned on quickly at an LTE 1900 site. It's just an install of an 800MHz LTE carrier card at the base station cabinet. And a fire up by an LTE integration tech. A few hours. One tech could probably do three a day if there wasn't a lot of travel time between.

The biggest issue with firing up LTE 800 is getting cards from the OEM's (which have been slow coming so far) and getting the markets clear of incumbent SMR public safety licensees. The FCC has granted some extensions in some markets that is preventing Sprint from starting to deploy LTE on 800 in some areas. But it is happening. There are already 300 known active LTE 800 sites in Samsung and Ericsson markets. And more happening every day.

what about AL sites (southeast), is their a reason behind no LTE 800. Sorry if I have missed something!

what about AL sites (southeast), is their a reason behind no LTE 800. Sorry if I have missed something!

We just don't know their schedule timelines yet. It could be just a lack of ALU schedules being disseminated yet. Or it could be a sign that there is a technical problem or supply problem. But we hear ALU is well underway with LTE 800 in Shentel areas. So I don't think there is reason for concern.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the texts were partially correct. I was in La Grande, Oregon 97850 last weekend when the 4G LTE arrows lit up on my Note 2. Nothing back home or in larger towns yet. You would think Sprint would upgrade the city with a higher population first, but La Grande does have a four year university. I guess Sprint is targeting younger users.