Comments related to the NV Running List Thread

I hope you're right. In all the testing I've done so far, it isn't a signal issue, as the signal very quickly changes from -104 to -80 or higher once the phone is forced to rescan and acquires the new site. But recently it's become a new issue altogether -- my phone calls are occurring on 800 MHz, and the network won't do an inter-band handoff for a voice call.

I'll give them a call today and re-open the old ticket.

Ahhh, that's a different issue. But still may be fixed with a ticket. That's a switch issue. And is part of the upgrades required at the switch end.

I assumed you were having problems from 1900 to 1900 handoffs. Interfrequency handoffs are handled at the switch. It's already working well in some areas where the switch has been fully NV integrated handing off to 1900 on a GMO from and adjacent 800 site.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Ahhh, that's a different issue. But still may be fixed with a ticket. That's a switch issue. And is part of the upgrades required at the switch end.

I assumed you were having problems from 1900 to 1900 handoffs. Interfrequency handoffs are handled at the switch. It's already working well in some areas where the switch has been fully NV integrated handing off to 1900 on a GMO from and adjacent 800 site.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

The ticket is now open, but I've been told that inter-frequency handoffs may be impossible for a while because 800 MHz is being handled on a different switch now.

• Like 1

The ticket is now open, but I've been told that inter-frequency handoffs may be impossible for a while because 800 MHz is being handled on a different switch now.

Yeah.  That explains it.  Until your switch is finished being upgraded, it won't be able to do the inter-frequency handoffs.  But perhaps tickets will help them get it done.

Robert

Yeah.  That explains it.  Until your switch is finished being upgraded, it won't be able to do the inter-frequency handoffs.  But perhaps tickets will help them get it done.

Robert

All of the 1900 MHz CDMA traffic is being consolidated to the old regional switches. All of the LTE and 800 MHz traffic is on brand new switches that don't have regional designations -- only numbers, and you aren't geographically limited to certain ones anymore. Remember that day when LTE latency practically halved overnight? That was when the non-regional switches came online.

Then Google Voice integration makes it even weirder, because it causes your calls to go through one of 3 (with a fourth possibly coming online in the future) Google Voice switches directly to the cell sites. In other words, my calls never hit the local MSC at all.

I'm beginning to wonder if Google Voice integration is the cause of the failed handoffs.

• Like 2

All of the 1900 MHz CDMA traffic is being consolidated to the old regional switches. All of the LTE and 800 MHz traffic is on brand new switches that don't have regional designations -- only numbers, and you aren't geographically limited to certain ones anymore. Remember that day when LTE latency practically halved overnight? That was when the non-regional switches came online.

Then Google Voice integration makes it even weirder, because it causes your calls to go through one of 3 (with a fourth possibly coming online in the future) Google Voice switches directly to the cell sites. In other words, my calls never hit the local MSC at all.

I'm beginning to wonder if Google Voice integration is the cause of the failed handoffs.

I love the conversations I read in these forums.  It's fascinating and I learn a ton every single day!  

• Like 7

So now that were farther along in NV when they turn on LTE 1900 are they also turning on 800 as well or are they still making a separate trip.

That seems to be the case with CDMA 800 in Samsung markets.  But as for LTE 800, we haven't really seen that yet.  It may happen after the mass B26 fire up is complete in the next few months.

Robert

I'm going to be a very bitter person if Sprint's definition of "substantially complete" excludes GMOs. I could live with that if it only meant those sites weren't going to be getting LTE soon, but for the 10% of the East Texas sites and the 19% of the Louisiana sites that are GMO sites, phone calls won't even hand off reliably, especially since the neighboring sites almost all have 800 voice now. I can only imagine how it is for other markets.

I'm just going to say this, be happy with those percentages. In the eastern Iowa market, it's more like 60% GMOs.

Can anyone give me an update on completion of LTE in WV, Specifically Huntington-Ashland (Kentucky) area? Not found anything in the forum as of yet. My service here sucks. PRL and Profile updates crash constantly and I get MIP errors daily... I love Sprint, but this is crazy, not to mention I require my cell service/data speed for my job.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me why my LTE signal is weaker/nonexistent but my 3g signal is strong when my tower is directly up the street from my house and marked completed on the maps in the Pittsburgh Region?

Can anyone tell me why my LTE signal is weaker/nonexistent but my 3g signal is strong when my tower is directly up the street from my house and marked completed on the maps in the Pittsburgh Region?

LTE is more fragile than 3g at the same frequency. Also if the 4g is new they may not have optimized the tower yet.

LTE is more fragile than 3g at the same frequency. Also if the 4g is new they may not have optimized the tower yet.

I put that into consideration too, but LTE has been launch for almost three months. Same site is also broadcasting LTE 800, but that is weak as well. My phone doesn't even see the signal from the tower at times and connects to towers that are miles away.

I put that into consideration too, but LTE has been launch for almost three months. Same site is also broadcasting LTE 800, but that is weak as well. My phone doesn't even see the signal from the tower at times and connects to towers that are miles away.

What phone are you using to connect to LTE 800 lg viper 4g? It can take up to 4 months to optimize if there are a lot of towers or if they are not all complete around the tower. What are you using to measure signal strength LTE and 3g? They are measured differently there is a 20 dbs difference. With LTE being more fragile it only goes about 60% as far as 3g.

If you are indeed using an LG Viper 4G as your primary device, then you definitely can NOT be connecting to 800 LTE, considering the fact that it was one of the first LTE phones on Sprint, and it only supports Band 25 LTE. If this is indeed the case, then you are probably confusing 800 LTE with 1x800, which is a 3G technology, and is NOT LTE. Unless you upgrade your phone to a device that has either better RF capabilities and/or tri-band capability, then you are never going to get a better LTE signal at your current location.

-Anthony

Please use the "Comments on NV Sites Complete" thread in the Sponsors section for further discussion on your tower issue.

Thanks

• Like 1

Please use the "Comments on NV Sites Complete" thread in the Sponsors section for further discussion on your tower issue.

Thanks

Sorry, about that, won't happen again.
  • Like 1

So, when do you think the "mid 2014" date will be for the completion of their LTE rollout?  I think they still have a long way to go and it's the end of June already.

• Like 2

So, when do you think the "mid 2014" date will be for the completion of their LTE rollout?  I think they still have a long way to go and it's the end of June already.

They are not planning to be completed with LTE deployment 100% by mid year.  But they are planning to be complete with at least Network Vision physical upgrades complete and at least 250M POPs covered in Mid 2014.  At best they will launch all 97 Sprint native markets by the end of Mid 2014.  But it's hard to imagine them launching Hawaii.

I think in the most loose sense Mid Year is Q2 & Q3 2014.  Most consider Mid Year to be from Mid May to Mid August.

Robert

They are not planning to be completed with LTE deployment 100% by mid year.  But they are planning to be complete with at least Network Vision physical upgrades complete and at least 250M POPs covered in Mid 2014.  At best they will launch all 97 Sprint native markets by the end of Mid 2014.  But it's hard to imagine them launching Hawaii.

I think in the most loose sense Mid Year is Q2 & Q3 2014.  Most consider Mid Year to be from Mid May to Mid August.

Robert

I feel like they're really going to stretch it until August for backhaul to be delivered and sites activated in the recent cluster launched areas or areas that have been mostly complete in physical upgrades before announcing new markets and 250 mil pops covered. 

• Like 1

I just read through all of the markets for their completion rates which I had not done in some time.  I was pretty amazed at all of the NV 90%+ areas.  Being in the DC area things seemed to of slowed down which was affected my overall opinion of the rollout.  After seeing the latest updates I am very impressed.  Hopefully they keep the push on.  

• Like 2

I'm in Grand Island, 68801. I'm currently using straight talk on the sprint network and my phone has been acting very strange, with my 3g signal going all over the place and i was wondering if it had to do with them working on the towers, are they working on LTE in my area?

I'm in Grand Island, 68801. I'm currently using straight talk on the sprint network and my phone has been acting very strange, with my 3g signal going all over the place and i was wondering if it had to do with them working on the towers, are they working on LTE in my area?

Welcome!

It is possible that one of your local Sprint sites is a GMO that requires a so-called "full build" conversion before it can receive CDMA 800 and LTE services. GMOs remain rather common in rural Nebraska. LTE has been slowly working its way down I-80 so it also seems likely you will see LTE soon. Keep an eye on the tower and let us know if you see any crews working on it!

If you don't already know where your local Sprint sites are located, or would like to know the up-to-date status of all the sites in your market, I would encourage you to donate whatever you're comfortable with to become a sponsor. There are many members from the Iowa & Nebraska markets who are particularly diligent about monitoring the progress of their market, so I am sure they would look forward to any reports you'd be able to provide from that area.

Hopefully Sprint will resolve the instability there soon, regardless of the reason.

• Like 1