New Nexus 7 thread (was "Second-gen Google Nexus 7 coming in July for $229")

kckid

Brought to you by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

Love your signature. May have to steal it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 3

Any of you guys that bought the new Nexus 7 have any thoughts so far on this product?  I still would have liked to see Google make a Nexus 8 with a slim profile like this because I think its perfect size for me.  I am kinda getting tired with my heavy 10 inch HP Touchpad tablet and want to get a smaller size tablet.  I was hoping for an 8 inch tablet but with the Nexus branding to ensure for up to the latest Google updates but may consider purchasing the new Nexus 7 given that it doesn't seem that Google will be making a Nexus 7, Nexus 8 and Nexus 10.

I'm typing this from my new nexus 7, having come from a touchpad like you. The size is really different, but the amazing screen more than makes up for it. I really like mine, and would certainly recommend it.

So while I was snooping the interwebs this morning, I stumbled upon some interesting facts about the Nexus 7. Apparently it's not an S4 processor, but rather an under-clocked 600 processor. According to the article the only reason they are calling it an S4 is because it's speed and architecture is based on the S4. What...? A 600 is a 600, no?

http://www.androidpit.com/nexus-7-snapdragon-600-processor

-Luis

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive case for the new N7, Amazon has a bunch of cases by a company called Roocase for about $4-5 shipped. The reviews for their cases for the original N7 (on the same product page) are good so I took a chance and ordered the Dual Station case. For $4, I figured it wasn't a big investment to make to try it out. And if it's well-made, I have a case to use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3ZYIRO/ref=ox_ya_os_product (the Executive is $20 shipped, the others are all $6 or less for the black versions only)

I put in an order for Moko's similar model earlier today, since I've been happy with their original Nexus 7 case (and family have liked the same brand Kindle Fire HD case).  For less than $6 it was a no-brainer; in the meantime, their original Nexus 7 case more-or-less works on the 2013 model while I wait.

I walked right into Walmart 2 days before the new nexus 7 was suppose to launch and got one lol 

Two days? I have had mine since last Friday morning.

AJ

• Like 1

Two days? I have had mine since last Friday morning.

AJ

Ya I know my Best Buy had it for sale before Google did.

This messsege brought to you by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

Reporting in on my 32 GB Nexus 7. 

I have found no problems with the build quality so far vs the original 7. Its a stunning device and my new favorite toy.

The display quality is amazing and the colors are much improved over the original Nexus 7. According to Anandtech the display rivals the iPad 4 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7176/nexus-7-2013-mini-review/2

The corning glass is much more slick. Your finger glides with ease. Its a premium feel.

The sound is also much improved. Its still not really loud but definitely better with the speaker positioning.

The device is overall really responsive and with Android 4.3 improvements you can say goodbye to the "android lag". I did experience a few moments where the tablet completely locked up when opening some apps. I believe this is mostly due to developers not being ahead of the curve on this OS.

Battery life is again outstanding. Even better than the original 7 yet it has a smaller battery.

This is the device of the year unless Google can somehow top this with the Nexus 5.

Battery life is again outstanding. Even better than the original 7 yet it has a smaller battery.

Coming from an iPad 2....battery life is meh...i have to charge it every 3 days...

iPad2 would go about 2 weeks before i needed to charge it. 

BUT I HAVE ANDROID 4.3!!! WOOOHOOOO

I got mine a couple of days ago... I LOVE IT!> It is really nice compared to the Acer Iconia A110 that I had before.....

One thing I'm noticing is that I've been having issues with the Play Store.  When I try to download some apps (does not happen with all apps), I get an error code 497... cannot download.....

The other error I get (trying to update my Google Play Books app), is it will download, but when it installs it says package file corrupted... 

I guess there might be some issues going on with the playstore? 

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine a couple of days ago... I LOVE IT!> It is really nice compared to the Acer Iconia A110 that I had before.....

One thing I'm noticing is that I've been having issues with the Play Store.  When I try to download some apps (does not happen with all apps), I get an error code 497... cannot download.....

The other error I get (trying to update my Google Play Books app), is it will download, but when it installs it says package file corrupted... 

I guess there might be some issues going on with the playstore? 

OK. It appears that it affects multiple users across multiple devices.  Google is looking into it to come up with a fix.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought this thing and it just randomly reboots like crazy straight out of the box. Apparently it's a huge widespread issue. Thinking of returning it. It's great when it works though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

• 2 weeks later...

LTE (700, 850, AWS, 1900 MHz)

HSPA ( 850, 900, AWS, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

But if you look at the full tech specs here:

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/

It shows this for LTE:

• LTE: 700/750/850/1700/1800/1900/2100 MHZ (Bands: 1/2/3/4/5/13/17)

Are any of those Sprint's bands?

But if you look at the full tech specs here:

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/

It shows this for LTE:

• LTE: 700/750/850/1700/1800/1900/2100 MHZ (Bands: 1/2/3/4/5/13/17)

Are any of those Sprint's bands?

The lte Nexus 7 isn't available on Sprint. Just every other carrier.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

I can confirm that T-Mobile blocks the Nexus 7 IMEI from being used on phone plans.

You have to get a T-Mobile tablet plan in order to use this device.

What?!  The "uncarrier" acts like a carrier.  Imagine that.

I am sure that John Legere would have some boastful reason why.

AJ

• Like 2

I can confirm that T-Mobile blocks the Nexus 7 IMEI from being used on phone plans.

You have to get a T-Mobile tablet plan in order to use this device.

AT&T and Verizon do not block the IMEI,  This is just a bummer.

The irony is in a few years 7" will be a common phone size.  :P

Which also brings up another point. If a phone and tablet are both 7" devices, why should it cost more to use the tablet?