New Nexus 7 thread (was "Second-gen Google Nexus 7 coming in July for $229")

kckid

Yes. I have a bestbuy.com preorder and received an e-mail early this morning that its date had been upped to today. Then, I checked in store availability and saw that my local Best Buy has them in stock. So, I decided to jump my preorder, drive down to Best Buy, and see if I could really pick one up in person today. Success.

2v9dbvb.jpg

AJ

I'm surprised you didn't wait for a Sprint 7. I'm pretty sure you won't be getting ATT/VZW so will you become one of the "poor, without credit TMO subs"? ;)

I think the cellular tablet data prices are WAY too much. Sprint's $10 or $15 per gigabyte especially with them being behind TMO in LTE rollout.

Edited by asdf190

I'm surprised you didn't wait for a Sprint 7. I'm pretty sure you won't be getting ATT/VZW so will you become one of the "poor, without credit TMO subs"? ;) I think the cellular tablet data prices are WAY too much. Sprint's $10 or $15 per gigabyte especially with them being behind TMO in LTE rollout.

This is the 16 GB Wi-Fi only variant.  Plus, I doubt that there will be a Sprint LTE variant.

I am on my third tablet now, and none of them have had cellular connectivity.  I cannot justify that use case -- at least, not yet.

AJ

This is the 16 GB Wi-Fi only variant.  Plus, I doubt that there will be a Sprint LTE variant.

I am on my third tablet now, and none of them have had cellular connectivity.  I cannot justify that use case -- at least, not yet.

AJ

If I get this it would also be my third. Only tablet that I ever had internet on was my first, and I used it quite a bit, but it was very expensive and I couldn't afford it at the time. Just out of curiosity, did they allow you to check it and make sure there weren't any defects (seeing as how the first nexus has many issues)?

-Luis

Just got the email from Amazon that my new 16GB Nexus 7 FHD has left the facility and on its way via FedEx with a delivery by 1:30 PM tomorrow.  Also my replacement Note 2 is also supposed to be coming via FedEx tomorrow.  Oh, happy day!

Robert

Just got the email from Amazon that my new 16GB Nexus 7 FHD has left the facility and on its way via FedEx with a delivery by 1:30 PM tomorrow. Also my replacement Note 2 is also supposed to be coming via FedEx tomorrow. Oh, happy day!

Robert

Iphone 6 for me in Sep 2014. Gonna feel weird going from iphone 4 3.5" to 4"+
  • Like 1

So I went out to best buy and bought one. I gave in cause I had 25 bucks off. I really like it. Its the perfect size. I noticed at first the screen wasn't picking up some touches but post update its better now. Speakers are decent, definitely not as good as HTC one. The screen is gorgeous. Very crisp and clean. Super light and thin, its very easy to hold it and use it. So far very satisfied with it.

-Luis

• Like 2

For those who haven't yet, I would recommend reading Brian Klug's mini review of the new Nexus 7: http://anandtech.com/show/7176/nexus-7-2013-mini-review

He reveals in interesting point that in android 4.3 TRIM in enabled so that when the device is idle it will clean up the NAND.  Also, for you OG Nexus 7 people this feature is in the 4.3 version for OG Nexus 7 so that should help performance.

• Like 1

Ordered mine from Best Buy. Not in a hurry for it so just went with standard shipping. I should have it sometime during the week.

I'm sitting here impatiently waiting for the FedEx guy to show up with my new Nexus 7 tablet and my replacement Note 2.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I went to best buy yesterday to check out the 7" tablets. Im still on the fence. I have the iPad2 which i received for free. Im not sure if the 7" size is big enough. Any of you that went down in screen size that can give me your opinion?

I went to best buy yesterday to check out the 7" tablets. Im still on the fence. I have the iPad2 which i received for free. Im not sure if the 7" size is big enough.

Well, what size imaginary tablet are you obviously holding in your crazy avatar pic?

AJ

Any of you guys that bought the new Nexus 7 have any thoughts so far on this product?  I still would have liked to see Google make a Nexus 8 with a slim profile like this because I think its perfect size for me.  I am kinda getting tired with my heavy 10 inch HP Touchpad tablet and want to get a smaller size tablet.  I was hoping for an 8 inch tablet but with the Nexus branding to ensure for up to the latest Google updates but may consider purchasing the new Nexus 7 given that it doesn't seem that Google will be making a Nexus 7, Nexus 8 and Nexus 10.

• Like 1

I was hoping for an 8 inch tablet...

Hey, do not shortchange the new Nexus 7.  It is fully 7.02 inches.  And when measuring e-penis size, we always round up to the next whole integer.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

I went to best buy yesterday to check out the 7" tablets. Im still on the fence. I have the iPad2 which i received for free. Im not sure if the 7" size is big enough. Any of you that went down in screen size that can give me your opinion?

I came from the Asus transformer prime 10.1 inch and I can say that its a welcomed downsize. I did like the prime but it was too big and clumsy for me. I like devices that I can actually handle with ease. If anything I know best buy gives you a 15 day return policy. Try it and if you like it great. If not no harm done right?

-Luis

The battery life/power management on the new Nexus 7 is out of this world.  Mine has been off the charger since its inaugural charge 48 hours ago, and even with moderate usage, battery is still at 60 percent.

AJ

• Like 4

The battery life/power management on the new Nexus 7 is out of this world. Mine has been off the charger since its inaugural charge 48 hours ago, and even with moderate usage, battery is still at 60 percent.

AJ

I unplugged mine at 7:30am this morning, and it's still showing a full battery icon (92%). And I would characterize my use as heavy. :tu:

Robert via Nexus 7 HD using Tapatalk 4

The battery life/power management on the new Nexus 7 is out of this world.  Mine has been off the charger since its inaugural charge 48 hours ago, and even with moderate usage, battery is still at 60 percent.

AJ

Likewise. I took mines off the charger yesterday morning. I've been using it heavily. Watching videos, updating a tom of apps, I've played about five hours of music and it's still kicking.

-Luis

• Like 1

I unplugged mine at 7:30am this morning, and it's still showing a full battery icon (92%). And I would characterize my use as heavy. :tu:

If your use is heavy and battery life is holding up so well, have you found love with the new Nexus 7?  And if so, what are you going to do with it?

AJ

• Like 2

If your use is heavy and battery life is holding up so well, have you found love with the new Nexus 7? And if so, what are you going to do with it?

AJ

Wow, I haven't thought about that song for a very long time!

Robert via Nexus 7 HD using Tapatalk 4

Everyone who is getting the new Nexus 7 please report back about any issues. The first few batches of the original Nexus 7 had problems with screen separation, image retention, failure to power on and blown\rattling speakers.

I ended up with one that really doesn't like to power on sometimes. I have the 32 GB version on pre-order at the Play Store.

Everyone who is getting the new Nexus 7 please report back about any issues. The first few batches of the original Nexus 7 had problems with screen separation, image retention, failure to power on and blownrattling speakers.

I ended up with one that really doesn't like to power on sometimes. I have the 32 GB version on pre-order at the Play Store.

I bought 3 OG Nexus 7s with not one issue. Im sure some people had problems but some of the posts I saw were pretty ridiculous sounding.

Brought to you in part by Sprint Galaxy S4

• Like 2

I had my Nexus 7 for only 36 hours and I already traded it for my son's Galaxy Note 8.0. He had been drooling over my Nexus 7 since FedEx delivered it Saturday morning. The Nexus 7 has the most beautiful screen of any device ever to date. He's very happy with the trade, as you can imagine.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I had my Nexus 7 for only 36 hours and I already traded it for my son's Galaxy Note 8.0. He had been drooling over my Nexus 7 since FedEx delivered it Saturday morning. The Nexus 7 has the most beautiful screen of any device ever to date. He's very happy with the trade, as you can imagine.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Ya I looked at the one we have at work today for the first time and it is beautiful. I wish they would have put the Snapdragon 800 chip and got rid of the camera though.

Brought to you by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

• Like 1