New Nexus 7 thread (was "Second-gen Google Nexus 7 coming in July for $229")

kckid

Why is Sprint LTE absent?

Because unlike Sprint LTE, Google doesn't need Verizon's permission to get it working on the network. Verizon is mandated by law to accept it (which is why there's no CDMA, which doesn't follow this rule). Also, Sprint doesn't offer SIM cards by themselves like GSM/UMTS/LTE operators (and Verizon) do. 

Thus, it would be pointless because Sprint doesn't have the facilities to enable that. However, it could be easily upgraded in the future, since Bands 2 and 5 are already present. A simple manufacturing swap on the duplexer/filter for PCS would allow Band 25, and another swap on Cellular would permit Band 26 support. I think Google is waiting for Sprint to have the capability to support SIM-free devices. I'm not sure Sprint ever will in its current state.

• Like 2

Because unlike Sprint LTE, Google doesn't need Verizon's permission to get it working on the network. Verizon is mandated by law to accept it (which is why there's no CDMA, which doesn't follow this rule). Also, Sprint doesn't offer SIM cards by themselves like GSM/UMTS/LTE operators (and Verizon) do.

Thus, it would be pointless because Sprint doesn't have the facilities to enable that. However, it could be easily upgraded in the future, since Bands 2 and 5 are already present. A simple manufacturing swap on the duplexer/filter for PCS would allow Band 25, and another swap on Cellular would permit Band 26 support. I think Google is waiting for Sprint to have the capability to support SIM-free devices. I'm not sure Sprint ever will in its current state.

Is Sprint gonna get its ass in gear? If it's trying to be number 1, this isn't how Sprint should be behaving.

Is Sprint gonna get its ass in gear? If it's trying to be number 1, this isn't how Sprint should be behaving.

I believe Sprint's current systems still tie the user identity to the phone identity, which makes it very problematic to offer SIM-only plans. Now that Sprint technically offers removable SIMs (as part of device sales, though), it should be working on that (or have already done so, mostly).

It took a lot of work for Verizon to redo its entire system to be able to do that, and part of that work resulted in the Share Everything plans. When you use a Share Everything plan, the newer account management scheme is used, which decouples the device identity from the user identity in the line on the service account. Of course, you don't really see the difference, because it's a backend change.

AT&T and T-Mobile have had these capabilities in their systems for years, as they needed to support them for international and prepaid users.

No Sprint LTE :(

-Luis

It's a shame too, when I heard that it would have such wide LTE support, I was quite hopeful. Maybe a new Sprint model down the line (he wished).

Why is Sprint LTE absent?

I am not sure why you guys are so surprised.  The new Nexus 7 LTE variant(s) showed up in the FCC OET several weeks ago.  No band 25 LTE 1900.  Otherwise, we would have let you know.

AJ

This could be a disadvantage for Sprint in the future. Not only does Sprint have two bands nobody else will be using, they are also the only carrier that doesn't support sim swapping. That isn't a very good mix for having a nice variety of devices to choose from.

This could be a disadvantage for Sprint in the future. Not only does Sprint have two bands nobody else will be using, they are also the only carrier that doesn't support sim swapping. That isn't a very good mix for having a nice variety of devices to choose from.

That's not entirely accurate. Band 25 = Band 2 + G block so devices can just have band 25 instead of band 2 which other 3 ARE using. Band 26 = Band 5 + ESMR (same as above 25)

That's not entirely accurate. Band 25 = Band 2 + G block so devices can just have band 25 instead of band 2 which other 3 ARE using. Band 26 = Band 5 + ESMR (same as above 25)

You're right. Regardless though, Sprint still has 2500 TD-LTE that nobody else will be using.

You're right. Regardless though, Sprint still has 2500 TD-LTE that nobody else will be using.

Longterm that's an advantage cause that means no one else can offer those speeds. Sprint is 50mil subs. That may not be Verizon/ATT but combined with Softy, no one's gonna dick around on unreasonable device costs for Sprint.
  • Like 1

How many people use a cell connected tablet though?

Watch a few videos and the cell plan limit is reached, too spendy.

I'm waiting until the reviews come out about the nexus7.

My nexus7-1 is very laggy due to the cheap flash memory they put in there, it is very frustrating to use.

How many people use a cell connected tablet though?

Watch a few videos and the cell plan limit is reached, too spendy.

I'm waiting until the reviews come out about the nexus7.

My nexus7-1 is very laggy due to the cheap flash memory they put in there, it is very frustrating to use.

I blame Tegra :P

-Luis

I hear that the nexus 7 only supports Verizon LTE and no cdma so if this is true does that mean Google didn't give the nexus 7 sprint lte because there LTE is to spotty right now and there will be no 3G support?

I hear that the nexus 7 only supports Verizon LTE and no cdma so if this is true does that mean Google didn't give the nexus 7 sprint lte because there LTE is to spotty right now and there will be no 3G support?

It has nothing to do with how much Sprint coverage there is. It most likely has to do with Sprint's LTE band.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My original 8 GB Nexus 7, which I have had since release, feels like it has slowed down considerably over the last year.  Is that likely a NAND issue?

AJ

The CPU is fast enough, install a cpu monitor app, you'll see where the bottleneck is.

Are you referring to me? I've done a factory reset. It's still slow and sluggish, I don't know if it's the NAND or Tegra, but I've had two tegra devices and both have failed to stay modestly usable after a whole year.

-Luis

Do we even know if Sprint really pursued Google to produce a LTE version of the Nexus 7?  Yeah I guess I can buy that it could be a LTE band issue since its so unique but maybe Sprint is waiting to launch a tri-band LTE version of the Nexus 7.

Are you referring to me? I've done a factory reset. It's still slow and sluggish, I don't know if it's the NAND or Tegra, but I've had two tegra devices and both have failed to stay modestly usable after a whole year.

I've noticed the same thing with my Transformer. It started after Asus upgraded it to ICS so I thought that might've been the reason, if the tablet wasn't optimized for ICS. But maybe it's the Tegra 2 processor if other Tegra-based devices have similar issues.

I've noticed the same thing with my Transformer. It started after Asus upgraded it to ICS so I thought that might've been the reason, if the tablet wasn't optimized for ICS. But maybe it's the Tegra 2 processor if other Tegra-based devices have similar issues.

i honestly believe it's tegra. I've seen online complaints on the One X international that has the Tegra, and people complaining that it's slow and sluggish. I can't say for the US One X variant, but the EVO LTE on my line is working fine.

-Luis

I've read that its to do with the poor flash memory.

I have run the app called ForeverGone, which really does help but only for a short amount of time.

I'm hoping (wishfully) that 4.3 will fix it.

I downloaded and installed 4.3 the day it was available from the Google servers and it seems to be a lot faster and smoother. But I also factory reset it upon installation.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Has anyone preordered the device?

As of three minutes ago, I have one in hand.

AJ

• Like 2

How? I read bestbuy is selling them early in stores.

Yes.  I have a bestbuy.com preorder and received an e-mail early this morning that its date had been upped to today.  Then, I checked in store availability and saw that my local Best Buy has them in stock.  So, I decided to jump my preorder, drive down to Best Buy, and see if I could really pick one up in person today.  Success.

2v9dbvb.jpg

AJ

• Like 4