No Sprint 4G LTE iPad 3

JustinRP37

Apple announced that iPad 3 will not be on Sprint's 4G LTE network. However, if I had to guess I would say that it will eventually come to Sprint. I wonder what the pricing will be like to use 4G on the iPad 3.

Apple announced that iPad 3 will not be on Sprint's 4G LTE network. However, if I had to guess I would say that it will eventually come to Sprint. I wonder what the pricing will be like to use 4G on the iPad 3.

I was expecting this to be the case. :(

We will have to hope that Apple includes LTE on Sprints iPhone this fall.

I'm sure hoping so. I was shocked that they wouldn't at least announce a 3G capable iPad for Sprint today.

We will have to hope that Apple includes LTE on Sprints iPhone this fall.

The only reason I'm hoping for this is to help sprint cover their butts on the contract with apple. Otherwise it might start hurting network improvements if they can't meet it which would likely be the case if by end of year they are the only provider without lte iPhone...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is purely my own speculation, but I think Sprints acceleration with Network Vision may be directly related to the LTE iPhone.

There is a possibility of that, but Apple could have at least announced the iPad 2 for Sprint today. I'm wondering if Sprint doesn't want to carry the iPad because of the current condition of their network.

I am hugly suspect of their claim of having LTE on only being worth 1hr difference in battery life....

They have evidently gone with the Qualcomm MDM9600 baseband which is what was used by a ton other LTE devices like the thunderbolt and such.

http://www.anandtech...alcomms-mdm9600

And if i recall the Thunderbolt was plagued with horrid battery life with LTE...

The fact that they stuck with that chip is confusing to me. Why stick with a 45nm process when you have the 28nm MDM9615 available to be used right now....smaller... more efficient...wtf?

Also if you didn't follow the event they had the balls to list the following:

new iPad supported speeds: 21Mbps HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA at 42Mbps, with LTE at 73Mbps.....

They really shouldn't be allowed to state speeds like that. Only the name supported like LTE, HSPA+, LTE-Advanced, and so forth. saying 73Mbps is absolutely rediculous b/c we are a long long long long long long long time away of any consumer getting those speeds less you find a tower with no people on it at the time, and the carrier has enough spectrum to handle it to begin with...Apple marketing at its finest. truly the best marketing department in the world imho b/c they get away with anything.

Oh and the whole new iPad has retina display too even though its about 60ppi LESS(iPhone4 326ppi, new iPad 264ppi) than the current iPhone4 "Retina" display is comical. yeah its a great display for sure but it really shows that if you slap a name on stuff most people have no clue at all. Not to mention the whole fail of Retina display supposedly being more ppi than the human retina can see. Phd's disproved that with the iPhone4 release stating that at 12in you can see more like 477ppi and it doesn't fall off to 318ppi till you get to 18in roughly...

Marketing department should be the highest paid bunch at Apple imho.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter

This is purely my own speculation, but I think Sprints acceleration with Network Vision may be directly related to the LTE iPhone.

I agree. This would be a strategic decision since the iPhone is more popular overall. I think Sprint wants/needs an LTE iPhone and wants or promised to get enough LTE markets up by this fall so Apple will be convinced to include Sprint in the rollout. Since LTE wasn't ready, I don't believe Apple would invest the resources into an LTE iPad.

Check me if I'm wrong, but Wi-Fi only tablets are still the biggest sellers. 3G/4G models supported by carriers haven't been knocking any doors down in sales. My guess it's because you have to pay for an extra plan that no one wants to buy. I think if the bucket plans like AT&T and Verizon are contemplating, if done right may help out.

I agree. This would be a strategic decision since the iPhone is more popular overall. I think Sprint wants/needs an LTE iPhone and wants or promised to get enough LTE markets up by this fall so Apple will be convinced to include Sprint in the rollout. Since LTE wasn't ready, I don't believe Apple would invest the resources into an LTE iPad.

Check me if I'm wrong, but Wi-Fi only tablets are still the biggest sellers. 3G/4G models supported by carriers haven't been knocking any doors down in sales. My guess it's because you have to pay for an extra plan that no one wants to buy. I think if the bucket plans like AT&T and Verizon are contemplating, if done right may help out.

I think it will sell more non-WiFi tablets if you can use your plan data for a tablet. A lot of people run a hotspot on their phone and access that with the tablet to get data rather than have a separate plan for the tablet. If I could access my plan data with the tablet, without running a hotspot and killing my phone battery, it would be money and make it worth the extra cost of having 4G/3G radios in the tablet. Of course when you have an unlimited plan, it is probably better to continue to run the hotspot on the phone.

Sgt, one thing you forgot is that the new iPad is a little bit thicker and 0.07lbs heavier than the previous model, so it is possible that there is a bigger battery, and of course the battery efficiency is improved with each model.

I think it will sell more non-WiFi tablets if you can use your plan data for a tablet. A lot of people run a hotspot on their phone and access that with the tablet to get data rather than have a separate plan for the tablet. If I could access my plan data with the tablet, without running a hotspot and killing my phone battery, it would be money and make it worth the extra cost of having 4G/3G radios in the tablet. Of course when you have an unlimited plan, it is probably better to continue to run the hotspot on the phone.

True, if a workable, fair bucket plan for data is developed by the carriers for use with any and all devices, you could see a change in market conditions that will support carrier branded tablets.

Sgt, one thing you forgot is that the new iPad is a little bit thicker and 0.07lbs heavier than the previous model, so it is possible that there is a bigger battery, and of course the battery efficiency is improved with each model.

Yeah bigger battery I know, but I'd still expect the drop off rate to be the same as if its the chip causing the dropoff in battery the rate will stay constant no matter the size. 1hr difference seems like a rate change to me compared to the thunderbolt reviews, even if battery tech improved too...only a 1hr difference is a giant one compared to thunderbolt from what i remember.

Thinking they tested it in new areas where you'd go in and out of signal which would make sense...

That or apple is full of it and real world tests will show it....

Makes no sense why they went cheap on that chipset to me still....

A friend of mine has an iPhone on AT&T and recieved an update yesterday giving him Lte 4G for AT&T. Anyone able to explain to me how this happened?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 via tapatalk

A friend of mine has an iPhone on AT&T and recieved an update yesterday giving him Lte 4G for AT&T. Anyone able to explain to me how this happened?

He is receiving HSPA+, not LTE. http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-57393828-266/has-ios-5.1-turned-the-iphone-4s-into-a-4g-device-overnight/

They changed the picture to show 3g instead of 4g. I can only imagine the fools saying they have an iphone 4g for free. They are already confused enough. I knew someone that wondered why her phone didn't say 3gs by the signal. Mind you this the same one that says she will be first in line for the iphone 5g and 6g.

• Like 1

Thanks, I knew something was funny about it. He's an Apple fanboy too so it's really funny for me. On the inside of course. :-)

They changed the picture to show 3g instead of 4g. I can only imagine the fools saying they have an iphone 4g for free. They are already confused enough. I knew someone that wondered why her phone didn't say 3gs by the signal. Mind you this the same one that says she will be first in line for the iphone 5g and 6g.

Haha no worse than the fools that are excited to get their new iPad and be able to download at 70Mbps over LTE...LOL

So shocked they were allowed to put those numbers up without a disclaimer of some sort...

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter

The whole change from 3G to 4G for HSPA+ is stupid. HSPA+ really is truly 3G but marketed as 4G to dupe customers into buying the phones.

As is LTE and WiMax. Technically speaking...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk