WiMax Protection Site Operation Confirmation

S4GRU

Can anyone tell me when we will get 4g In Victorville,ca.. We are having alot of angry customers cause our 3g service isnt all that great, Thanks :)

Victorville will never get WiMax, but Network Vision is already being deployed in your market and you should start seeing LTE pop up in mid to late spring.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I am a little lost. What is a Wimax Proctection site? I am trying to understand the updates Sprint is rolling out but there is a lot I am realizing I don't know. Also I was looking a the Sensorly map and there are areas near me like 18640 that this map is indicating Wimax service but Sprint's map does not. Which map is correct? I live in 18661 and I am not seeing even 2g by me so I am just totally lost.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hello everyone,

I am a little lost. What is a Wimax Proctection site? I am trying to understand the updates Sprint is rolling out but there is a lot I am realizing I don't know. Also I was looking a the Sensorly map and there are areas near me like 18640 that this map is indicating Wimax service but Sprint's map does not. Which map is correct? I live in 18661 and I am not seeing even 2g by me so I am just totally lost.

Thanks in advance for any help

This link explains what Protection Sites are: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6-what-are-protection-sites/

WiMax Protection Sites are not shown on Sprint coverage maps. But they are shown on Clear's in light green: http://www.clear.com/coverage

Also, we have a Sponsor map for WiMax Protection Site locations: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2136-wimax-protection-site-maps-substantial-service-sites/

Robert

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What will happen to protection sites in the future? Will Clear keep them online?

Yes. They have to. They have to be kept on to meet minimum coverage requirements to protect their licenses. They can change the technology to LTE or something else if they want. And they can even move them to different locations as long as they cover the same population or more. But for the most part, they aren't going anywhere.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Yes. They have to. They have to be kept on to meet minimum coverage requirements to protect their licenses. They can change the technology to LTE or something else if they want. And they can even move them to different locations as long as they cover the same population or more. But for the most part, they aren't going anywhere.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see what they do with them. I hear most protection sites use Huawei gear and with Sprint agreeing to replace all Huawei gear with new non-chinese gear, it would make sense to go ahead and install TD-LTE on these sites.

It will be interesting to see what they do with them. I hear most protection sites use Huawei gear and with Sprint agreeing to replace all Huawei gear with new non-chinese gear, it would make sense to go ahead and install TD-LTE on these sites.

Got to remember that these protection sites have the bare minimum necessities to even keep it running. Backhaul is probably insufficient and the entire cell site will probably need to be replaced. Probably better to keep them up and running till Sprint does network vision in that area and transfer the clearwire site to the network vision one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for response. Im in sprint 3g area. Aren't they supposed to cover their existing footprint?

Yes. Most, if not all Sprint cell sites will get NV upgrades of some sort be it full build sites or GMO's. Clearwire sites are not operated by sprint but by clearwire who is doing their own thing until they get bought out by Sprint.

• 4 weeks later...

I can confirm the California - Fallbrook tower is operational. No stats, but it is running as of March/April of 2013

Also there is a previously unknown tower in the northern section of Encinitas, CA in very close proximity to the intersection of El Camino Real, and Leucadia Blvd/Rancho Santa Fe Rd. It's service footprint is marked on the Clear coverage maps. No data, but it is operational with fairly decent coverage, given the 2.5GHz propagation patterns. Methinks it's sitting somewhere on the coastal bluffs  on the western side of El Camino Real, but I didn't have the time to do any UHF-DF to pinpoint the tower last time I was down there. 

• Like 1

I can confirm the California - Fallbrook tower is operational. No stats, but it is running as of March/April of 2013

Also there is a previously unknown tower in the northern section of Encinitas, CA in very close proximity to the intersection of El Camino Real, and Leucadia Blvd/Rancho Santa Fe Rd. It's service footprint is marked on the Clear coverage maps. No data, but it is operational with fairly decent coverage, given the 2.5GHz propagation patterns. Methinks it's sitting somewhere on the coastal bluffs  on the western side of El Camino Real, but I didn't have the time to do any UHF-DF to pinpoint the tower last time I was down there. 

The signal shown on Clear Maps on the north side of Encinitas comes from the Escondido tower.  There is no Protection Site in Encinitas:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2136-wimax-protection-site-maps-substantial-service-sites/

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

I recently moved to Rapid City, SD and I can confirm that there is a WiMax signal on the south side of town. Not terribly strong as it is usable only when outside most of the time, but my EVO 3D has no issues using it.

post-20009-0-79688900-1371954265_thumb.png

• Like 1

I recently moved to Rapid City, SD and I can confirm that there is a WiMax signal on the south side of town. Not terribly strong as it is usable only when outside most of the time, but my EVO 3D has no issues using it.

I go to Rapid City often.  It's unfortunate that Sprint does not offer native service there.  You're going to have to switch carriers soon.   :(

I love Western South Dakota.  I'd move there if I could find meaningful work.

Robert

• Like 1

I go to Rapid City often.  It's unfortunate that Sprint does not offer native service there.  You're going to have to switch carriers soon.   :(

I love Western South Dakota.  I'd move there if I could find meaningful work.

Robert

Yea it baffles me why they do not have any coverage here, they own their normal spectrum according to the fcc site as far as i can tell. But i am out of contract so i am going to use it until they kick me off :)

Edited by CosmicJeff
  • Like 2

Yea it baffles me why they do not have any coverage here, they own their normal spectrum according to the fcc site as far as i can tell. But i am out of contract so i am going to use it until they kick me off :)

That does not warrant a smiley face.  Come on, you chose to move to a market where Sprint does not provide native coverage, and you are out of contract, thus face no ETF.  Port out to another wireless operator now.  Sticking it to Sprint by roaming so much that you violate your Ts and Cs is juvenile.  It is akin to renting an apartment that does not allow pets, sneaking in a smelly dog, getting evicted, then sticking the landlord with a hefty cleaning bill.

AJ

• Like 3

That does not warrant a smiley face.  Come on, you chose to move to a market where Sprint does not provide native coverage, and you are out of contract, thus face no ETF.  Port out to another wireless operator now.  Sticking it to Sprint by roaming so much that you violate your Ts and Cs is juvenile.  It is akin to renting an apartment that does not allow pets, sneaking in a smelly dog, getting evicted, then sticking the landlord with a hefty cleaning bill.

AJ

Almost as bad as those who illegally use Sprint wireless for their home internet just because Sprint offers unlimited data and they can get away with it. I hope all of these people get an "eviction notice" soon!  

Woa woa, slow down a minute guys before you bbq me, i am not as you refer trying to stick it to sprint, to the contrary, i do not even have roaming turned on my phone, 95% of my use is data and that is mainly at work since at home i have wifi, and at work i have wimax, i am hardly costing them any extra money, and btw it was not my choice to move here, and the reason i have not closed my account is that i hope to be moved somewhere where they have native coverage in the next 6-8 months.

• Like 1

Woa woa, slow down a minute guys before you bbq me, i am not as you refer trying to stick it to sprint, to the contrary, i do not even have roaming turned on my phone, 95% of my use is data and that is mainly at work since at home i have wifi, and at work i have wimax, i am hardly costing them any extra money, and btw it was not my choice to move here, and the reason i have not closed my account is that i hope to be moved somewhere where they have native coverage in the next 6-8 months.

I won't BBQ you. But if you hear of a construction management position come open around Rapid City, let me know. ;)

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I won't BBQ you. But if you hear of a construction management position come open around Rapid City, let me know. ;)

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks, I will definitely keep my ears open and let you know if i hear anything.  I think i may write a actual paper letter to sprint kindly asking them to consider putting a couple towers up around here, with 3 Million visitors to the area a year i think it would make sense. Worse they can do is say no.:(

-Jeff