WiMax Protection Site Operation Confirmation

S4GRU

No WiMAX connection in Roanoke, VA. I'm located roughly a mile from the local airport. Clear indicates that coverage is acailable at my address, however services are not yet being sold.

Is it possible these protection sites (Central Florida at least) are running on the Uppermost receivable frequencies? Because official site seem to penetrate better for download than protection sites.

Is it possible these protection sites (Central Florida at least) are running on the Uppermost receivable frequencies? Because official site seem to penetrate better for download than protection sites.

Official sites do penetrate better. Good observation! But it's not because of the frequency set used. Protection sites are deployed with little to no downtilt. The panels are pointed out 90 degrees straight out from the tower to maximize coverage area. This is good for creating a large coverage circle on a map that you showcase to the FCC to "protect" your license, but not good in actually being usable to the people on the ground, or especially inside buildings.

The whole point of the protection site isn't to give people service, but rather to protect their license from being revoked by the FCC for failing to meet minimum coverage standards. If you can actually use the signal, then they just consider that bonus.

Also, Protection Sites will give you better coverage from higher buildings and hills and mountains than you will from being on the ground. That's because if you are up in the air, those panels are pointed right at you. That's the reason why there is a difference between Protection Sites and Standard WiMax Deployments. Most people don't even notice the difference. Good job.

Robert

• Like 1

Also, Protection Sites will give you better coverage from higher buildings and hills and mountains than you will from being on the ground. That's because if you are up in the air, those panels are pointed right at you. That's the reason why there is a difference between Protection Sites and Standard WiMax Deployments. Most people don't even notice the difference. Good job.

Robert

I can vouch for this, my parents house in Shamokin is on the hill across from the protection tower, almost line of site, I just have to get his neighbors to cut the roof off their houses.

I had a nice strong signal there, 4 out of 5 lights on my clear modem.

I was able to get 7+ mbps down with the clear modem in Shamokin, much better my dad's DSL line.

Do they normally use that nice of a backhaul with a protection site?

Patrick

• Like 2

I can vouch for this, my parents house in Shamokin is on the hill across from the protection tower, almost line of site, I just have to get his neighbors to cut the roof off their houses.

I had a nice strong signal there, 4 out of 5 lights on my clear modem.

I was able to get 7+ mbps down with the clear modem in Shamokin, much better my dad's DSL line.

Do they normally use that nice of a backhaul with a protection site?

Patrick

When it comes to Protection Sites, the backhaul is highly variable. It pretty much is potpourri. Whatever is convenient, that's what they use. Some Protection Sites only have T1's, if that's all they could get.

In Las Vegas, New Mexico they have a WiMax Protection Site that is 1.5Mbps upload and download 24 hours a day. Because it's on a T1 for backhaul. However, the next Protection Site to the west in Santa Fe has fiber backhaul. There was a vendor already there that leased to Clearwire for dirt cheap. It has 9 - 15Mbps Download speeds.

Robert

• Like 1

When it comes to Protection Sites, the backhaul is highly variable. It pretty much is potpourri. Whatever is convenient, that's what they use. Some Protection Sites only have T1's, if that's all they could get.

In Las Vegas, New Mexico they have a WiMax Protection Site that is 1.5Mbps upload and download 24 hours a day. Because it's on a T1 for backhaul. However, the next Protection Site to the west in Santa Fe has fiber backhaul. There was a vendor already there that leased to Clearwire for dirt cheap. It has 9 - 15Mbps Download speeds.

Robert

That is the most ridiculous stunt ever. But at the same time genius bc they are sticking it to the system in a sense. LOL

Would never thought Clearwire would stump to such levels and provide T1 backhaul in some places...

Taking notes from sprint...hehe

Surprised the FCC doesn't step in and monitor speed levels in some cases...guess that's a lil out of their realm though?...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

That is the most ridiculous stunt ever. But at the same time genius bc they are sticking it to the system in a sense. LOL

Would never thought Clearwire would stump to such levels and provide T1 backhaul in some places...

Taking notes from sprint...hehe

Surprised the FCC doesn't step in and monitor speed levels in some cases...guess that's a lil out of their realm though?...

I always wondered if the FCC would care about T1's being used in protection sites. After all, the build out requirements called for mobile broadband. And it was my understanding that EVDO did not meet the definition of the FCC mobile broadband definition for EBS/BRS spectrum and exactly why they used WiMax. So how can T1 backhaul that would essentially render WiMax to EVDO speeds be acceptable? It's a great point.

Robert

I always wondered if the FCC would care about T1's being used in protection sites. After all, the build out requirements called for mobile broadband. And it was my understanding that EVDO did not meet the definition of the FCC mobile broadband definition for EBS/BRS spectrum and exactly why they used WiMax. So how can T1 backhaul that would essentially render WiMax to EVDO speeds be acceptable? It's a great point.

Robert

Wonder if clear as a network could get in trouble for false advertising in a sense? I'm sure they advertise speeds the same nationally and those sites would be well below them...less protection sites like that are solely run by sub providers in a sense...

One would hope that when LTE comes through they would change the backhaul then at least though...lol

Robert

That is a good point. Maybe the FCC didn't care as long as the protection sites were just operational, let alone fast enough to support high speed data. Just hopefully when they upgrade to LTE they upgrade the backhaul on those sites.

That is a good point. Maybe the FCC didn't care as long as the protection sites were just operational, let alone fast enough to support high speed data. Just hopefully when they upgrade to LTE they upgrade the backhaul on those sites.

Or they just have bigger fish to fry....ie lightsquared. Lol

And Verizon, since they finished frying at&t over the T-Mobile merger, lol.

And Verizon, since they finished frying at&t over the T-Mobile merger, lol.

Yes! One can dream.....oh what's that? VZ must forfit half its spectrum holdings....LOL

Dream big. Hehe

Then maybe they can go after Apple? Jkjkjkjk

I always wondered if the FCC would care about T1's being used in protection sites.

I have long thought that the FCC needs a Spectrum Czar -- namely, me. ;)

AJ

• Like 5

Yes! One can dream.....oh what's that? VZ must forfit half its spectrum holdings....LOL

Dream big. Hehe

You wish that Verizon would have to forfeit half their spectrum, lol. I don't ever see that happening.

Dream big. Hehe

DOJ is going after apple. For ebook contracts and pricing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DOJ is going after apple. For ebook contracts and pricing

Saw that. almost posted it in General but didn't have time yesterday...thought it was funny how some of the others have already settled in the suit...

Saw that. almost posted it in General but didn't have time yesterday...thought it was funny how some of the others have already settled in the suit...

I think it's sad when you can buy a physical book for less than an e book. Then you have to buy a reader to boot. E books should be priced to pay the author and publisher. The delivery outlet gets a cut, and the customer saves a little. Just another example of apple gouging customers just because they can. E books would catch on big time if they were priced in the $5-8 range that they could be priced.