HTC 8XT Windows Phone discussion thread (was "New HTC WP8 for Sprint?")

Mondays In Flames

I "picked up" our dummy phone this morning. I'm surprised how big it is actually. For the smaller screen size compared to my s4 I expected it to feel tiny but it actually feels good in the hand. Once I get a live demo I'll be able to report on more but so far so good from what I can tell.

Hey just picked up this phone. Overall I like it alot...biggest downfall is the camera. Decent for what i need it but nothing spectacular. The wvga resolution is suprisingly not terrible for a 4.3" screen...unless your eye is an inch or so away then you can see the pixles but luckily i dont use it that close to my face very often. So far its very responsive with multiple apps running in the background and short load times, ive only used spotify and netflix so far. I find its lightweight and very comfortable in hand, doest feel super cheap...just a tid bit. California blue is very purple and the backing is difficult to get off to access the micro sim and sd slot.

Heres a couple of benchmarks and comparos:

sunspider 1.0 - 1003.7

Antutu - 10,698

WPBench - 234.8

Lumia 925:

sunspider - 905.4

antutu - 11,819

WPBench - 216

HTC 8X:

sunspider - 914

antutu - 11,775

wpbench - 221

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased a HTC 8X yesterday.  I was getting tired of switching out my Tmo and AT&T SIMs back and forth in my Nexus 4, and the Nexus 4 doesn't work with AT&T LTE.  So it should arrive on Thursday.  It's been awhile since I've used a HTC product, and I'm really looking forward to trying out Windows Phone 8 OS.  Maybe we will be able to revive this thread.

Now if I can get a reasonable deal on a BB Z10, I'd try that one out too.

Robert

• Like 2

I just purchased a HTC 8X yesterday. I was getting tired of switching out my Tmo and AT&T SIMs back and forth in my Nexus 4, and the Nexus 4 doesn't work with AT&T LTE. So it should arrive on Thursday. It's been awhile since I've used a HTC product, and I'm really looking forward to trying out Windows Phone 8 OS. Maybe we will be able to revive this thread.

Robert

Where did you get a good deal on the 8X? eBay?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I just purchased a HTC 8X yesterday.  I was getting tired of switching out my Tmo and AT&T SIMs back and forth in my Nexus 4, and the Nexus 4 doesn't work with AT&T LTE.  So it should arrive on Thursday.  It's been awhile since I've used a HTC product, and I'm really looking forward to trying out Windows Phone 8 OS.  Maybe we will be able to revive this thread.

Robert

The 8X, or 8XT?

Speaking of 8X I went to the Microsoft store and saw it again, it really is such a nice phone with an amazing design. I love the curved back.

-Luis

The 8X, or 8XT?

Speaking of 8X I went to the Microsoft store and saw it again, it really is such a nice phone with an amazing design. I love the curved back.

-Luis

The 8X. The 8XT is a Sprint only variant. But I'm not buying anymore Sprint devices other than Triband.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The 8X. The 8XT is a Sprint only variant. But I'm not buying anymore Sprint devices other than Triband.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Oh ok, I was confused cause this thread is for the 8XT.

I would have bought an 8X had I stayed with T-mo, but I'm not so sure how I'd feel going back to WP8. It's not as vibrant as Android to me.

-Luis

I think the Samsung Ativ Neo S is being released on Friday the 16th

Really? Finally. It took them too long to release it. It was FCC approved before the 8XT was released.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I just got an 8XT today, liking it so far. I'm still looking at the LG G2 when it releases though. Probably going to give the 8XT to my mother, she seems to really like the Windows interface and doesn't care about LTE at all so tri-band wouldn't mean much to her.

• Like 1

Yeah, the "T" definitely does not stand for tri band.

AJ

• Like 1

I just got an 8XT today, liking it so far.

Check for any debug/engineering screens.  Windows Phone 7 had a solid set of engineering screens on all handsets, but Windows Phone 8 on AT&T and T-Mobile devices reportedly no longer includes access to those screens.  Still, Sprint seems to be the operator most proactive about including engineering screens, so I would not be shocked if the Sprint variant HTC 8XT has them.

AJ

Check for any debug/engineering screens. Windows Phone 7 had a solid set of engineering screens on all handsets, but Windows Phone 8 on AT&T and T-Mobile devices reportedly no longer includes access to those screens. Still, Sprint seems to be the operator most proactive about including engineering screens, so I would not be shocked if the Sprint variant HTC 8XT has them.

AJ

Always wondered this.. The Sprint network folks always ask for information off the debug screen. Mainly signal strength and PN. Who the heck do the other carriers troubleshoot things with customers?

Check for any debug/engineering screens.  Windows Phone 7 had a solid set of engineering screens on all handsets, but Windows Phone 8 on AT&T and T-Mobile devices reportedly no longer includes access to those screens.  Still, Sprint seems to be the operator most proactive about including engineering screens, so I would not be shocked if the Sprint variant HTC 8XT has them.

AJ

Well...

##3424# (DIAG) gives you a self-diagnostic app. Testing screen, touch, LED, buttons, etc.

##72786# (SCRTN) gets you to a Service Tools app. It includes sections for PST, DATA, MSL, RTN, and SCRTN. They each do as you expect, no live actionable info there.

##33284# (DEBUG) gets you to EmbeddedTools. It has Diag and FieldTrial. Diag sets diagnostics mode on. FieldTrial does what we all want. :-)

Some screenshots posted on my SkyDrive for those interested (Lat/Long edited for safety): http://sdrv.ms/1bBKSO9

• Like 3

Very nice. Thanks for the screenshots.

So, for those of us wireless network spelunkers, Windows Phone 8 on Sprint is a viable option.

AJ

• Like 1

I am still curious how the LTE performance is on this phone vs. other Sprint LTE phones and other HTC LTE phones in particular.

I can't give an answer to that, I'm in Tucson... no LTE yet.

That being said, I'm not optimistic. I've had my 8XT go into roaming in areas that my S3 had no issues with. Random areas that regularly have decent signal as well, not sure if it is the phone or something with the towers at that particular time and I happened to notice it.

1xRTT signal does not directly correlate to LTE capability, but since they are the same antenna, they are related partially at least.