Who doesn't like to see a ruling against AT&T?

khammondnm

So, could someone with more knowledge than me explain what this patent is, and how this win affects other device manufacturers? 

I guess Samsung has to do this. However, I'm so done with the patent wars.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 4

It appears that the long fight is over and AT&T and Apple can no longer import and sell the phones that nobody would want anyway.

At the moment, Sprint is selling a lot of iPhone 4's. They're hard for some stores to keep in stock, especially in lower-income areas. The iPhone 4 is the "best in class" for free phones. If you're the kind of person who has an upgrade, needs a phone, and has no cash, you're gonna walk out with an iPhone 4 and a new two-year-contract to go with it. Of course, I have no idea what AT&T sales are like.

• Like 1

At the moment, Sprint is selling a lot of iPhone 4's. They're hard for some stores to keep in stock, especially in lower-income areas. The iPhone 4 is the "best in class" for free phones. If you're the kind of person who has an upgrade, needs a phone, and has no cash, you're gonna walk out with an iPhone 4 and a new two-year-contract to go with it.

At this late date, the "i" in iPhone 4 stands for "i think i be moving up in the world because i finally gots me an iPhone."

:P

AJ

• Like 7

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/04/samsung-apple-itc-ban-iphone-ipad/

....and Apple.  But that's my personal opinion.

This really does not seem bad for either company. But why the Apple hate? They are an American designed product, and love them or hate them, we did benefit a great deal overall after the iPhone. I honestly do not see why people "hate" Apple. Yes, their products are very expensive, but they have not required a tax-payer bailout, and have been highly successful. Even AT&T helps push Sprint along. I am sure the competition from Verizon and AT&T force Sprint to change some of their policies to compete. Without competition we all have the same dull product.This is not meant to get people upset, but rather I love technology advancements period. Use whatever works for you. I have phones from HTC, Samsung, Apple, and Motorola and they are all pretty good devices. Likewise, you must pick a wireless carrier for your needs. I am glad that there is still some competition in the wireless industry.

But why the Apple hate?

You seem to value competition.  But in the mobile space, Apple is trying to squelch competition or litigate it into submission.  What do you think of that?

I miss the mobile industry before the iPhone.  Too many Joe Blows who do not need smartphones have them now because of the paradigm shift brought on by the iPhone, and that has caused lots of problems for wireless networks.

AJ

• Like 1

You seem to value competition.  But in the mobile space, Apple is trying to squelch competition or litigate it into submission.  What do you think of that?

I miss the mobile industry before the iPhone.  Too many Joe Blows who do not need smartphones have them now because of the paradigm shift brought on by the iPhone, and that has caused lots of problems for wireless networks.

AJ

I think the use of the courts has gotten completely out of hand. Some of the patents that are issued have no business being issued in the first place. I do value strong competition. And I do agree that I miss the time before smartphones to a degree. I love being connected, but now you go out to eat in a fancy restaurant and all the kids are watching sponge bob on their parents phones or tablets, thus no real family time. It also makes me miss the days of Blockbuster, when you would see your whole neighborhood looking for a Saturday movie. Remember going home and then finding out that the person before you did not rewind the movie? Oh the horror!

AJ

While I agree with you on the Apple and squelching competition, bringing the SmartPhone to the average person was a great thing.  I look at it the same was as the PC brought computing into the home, rather than work/university.

While the iPhone is the smartphone for dumb people, it advanced the smartphone revolution light years to the average citizen.  I think that it has also caused Google/Samsung/HTC/Microsoft/etc to push much harder and faster at the innovation game.

AJ

On the other hand, Apple has a duty to protect the patents it owns by litigating against people who imitate it and refuse to pay a license fee. I'm not saying it is right as I feel many of these patents should not have been granted but it is the reality of the patent system. 

• Like 1

With the patents, it really does not matter to the Asian manufacturers.  They will copy something with complete disregard of the patents that are in place.  It does not matter what industry either.  I was working in the manufacturing industry years ago attending a tooling show in Chicago watching the latest evolution of what machinery could do.  A US manufacturer had a new design that saved time and money for the end user of the product.  While standing there, I saw someone from an Asian manufacturer (China) with a sketch pad drawing this new machine in detail and writing its capabilities down.  He stood there for hours.  Guess what was on display two years later at the same show....

With the patents, it really does not matter to the Asian manufacturers. 

Careful now. Japan,Taiwan, and South Korea are very different places from China. You wouldn't say "North American" And throw in Canada and the USA if Mexico was doing unsavory things, right?

• Like 1

AJ

Innovation >litigation

Innovation >litigation

What of innovative litigation?  Or litigious innovation?

AJ

I see it more clearly now AJ WAN.

I should probably be more appropriately called AJ WWAN.

;)

AJ

Careful now. Japan,Taiwan, and South Korea are very different places from China. You wouldn't say "North American" And throw in Canada and the USA if Mexico was doing unsavory things, right?

I thought I specified China in my example?

I thought I specified China in my example?

You did. China may be problematic, but I think it's wrong to simply say "Asian" manufacturing is the problem, and I wouldn't draw a parallel from China's willful copyright and patent theft/infringement, to South Korea's Samsung.

You did. China may be problematic, but I think it's wrong to simply say "Asian" manufacturing is the problem, and I wouldn't draw a parallel from China's willful copyright and patent theft/infringement, to South Korea's Samsung.

Hey, The Honorable Sen. Orrin Hatch ® of Utah has wisely warned us that all Asians are "hostile powers."

;)

AJ

Hey, The Honorable Sen. Orrin Hatch ® of Utah has wisely warned us that all Asians are "hostile powers."

;)

AJ

Yes, I know. It's like he got stuck in a Gibsonian 80's, and forgot that Japan and Korea are two of our closest allies.

I can almost hear him yelling... "Hostile Powers! Chinamen! Heresy! Madness!"

• Like 1

Yes, I know. It's like he got stuck in a Gibsonian 80's, and forgot that Japan and Korea are two of our closest allies.

I can almost hear him yelling... "Hostile Powers! Chinamen! Heresy! Madness!"

It is a little known fact that Masayoshi Son's first name most directly translates to English as "Brigham."  Maybe that will change Orrin's stance.

AJ

• Like 1