Network Vision/LTE - Rochester Market (Rochester, New York)

S4GRU

When NV began in these areas the Canadian carriers and holders were giving rebanding estimates of 2017+ which made it pointless to deploy smr capable equipment just to wait around for 4-5 years and so they designed and deployed a pcs only network.

Unbeknownst to most people the Canadian holders accelerated rebanding and shutting down of legacy technology usage on the smr frequency for wide band operations and wrapped up a few months ago.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am curious, do you know if they HAD to do this for regulatory reasons or if they just did it to make it somehow cheaper, because it seems a bad investment if they're just going to replace it all...

They didn't have to. However, they could be fined if one of their installers illegally turned one on accidentally. Not worth the risk. And if it infringed on a public safety agency, it could have been disastrous.

Also, since they didn't know how long it would be, why tie up capex money sitting around for years. They would have had to spend less money on NV one and two years ago to pay for radios sitting doing nothing.

But once they are six months away, they need to shift gears and get moving in advance.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 1

They didn't have to. However, they could be fined if one of their installers illegally turned one on accidentally. Not worth the risk. And if it infringed on a public safety agency, it could have been disastrous.

Also, since they didn't know how long it would be, why tie up capex money sitting around for years. They would have had to spend less money on NV one and two years ago to pay for radios sitting doing nothing.

But once they are six months away, they need to shift gears and get moving in advance.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

This makes more sense. I guess if there's a significant cost difference and they figured the radios would be sitting there doing nothing for years on end. It's a pity for them that they have to gut their equipment, but I'll take an earlier than schedule 800 network :-D
  • Like 1

This makes more sense. I guess if there's a significant cost difference and they figured the radios would be sitting there doing nothing for years on end. It's a pity for them that they have to gut their equipment, but I'll take an earlier than schedule 800 network :-D

Do you have a Spark enabled device? 

Do you have a Spark enabled device?

Yeah, I've been running the Nexus 5 for a while now. It's a great phone, totally psyched for Android 5.0 update.

I went to visit NYC this past summer and I got some crazy speeds on the Spark network, excited for it in Rochester.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been running the Nexus 5 for a while now. It's a great phone, totally psyched for Android 5.0 update.

I went to visit NYC this past summer and I got some crazy speeds on the Spark network, excited for it in Rochester.

Awesome, Ive been holding onto my LG OG, I love it, but time to get a phone so I can get Spark, but its not quite down where I live yet, but I could always take a trip up into Rochester and visit a friend just so I can test Spark. 

• Like 1

Awesome, Ive been holding onto my LG OG, I love it, but time to get a phone so I can get Spark, but its not quite down where I live yet, but I could always take a trip up into Rochester and visit a friend just so I can test Spark.

Worth it man, and the g3 is a pretty sweet phone too if you like the one you've got. I haven't even got normal lte where I live yet, I'm too far south. It's a bummer :-(

Worth it man, and the g3 is a pretty sweet phone too if you like the one you've got. I haven't even got normal lte where I live yet, I'm too far south. It's a bummer :-(

Too far south? I am in Canandaigua, I am sure we will get it soon, but they probably got to do the big city first.  I am lucky, I live near one of the towers and I get LTE in the house. I was thinking of LG G3 

Too far south? I am in Canandaigua, I am sure we will get it soon, but they probably got to do the big city first. I am lucky, I live near one of the towers and I get LTE in the house. I was thinking of LG G3

Yeah, I live in Honeoye Falls, one of the cell towers in town is built into a big silo and is probably a problem site, and the other one is in the middle of a random field and I doubt that's getting fiber backhaul anytime soon, so I'm likely stuck this way for a while.

My friend has a g3, it has the best screen I've ever seen on a smartphone.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't know so this is an FYI to anyone else that doesn't...

There is active Band 41 LTE in Greece.

I wish I could say more about what there is in the market. The premier sponsor area is really heavy on the information, it's pretty awesome. You should donate and get into it!
  • Like 1

I wish I could say more about what there is in the market. The premier sponsor area is really heavy on the information, it's pretty awesome. You should donate and get into it!

I was gonna say that too but I didnt lol 

I didn't know so this is an FYI to anyone else that doesn't...

There is active Band 41 LTE in Greece.

Its not on every tower that has LTE yet but on SOME, but I cant say anything else here sorry....

How can I tell what bands are available where I am connected?  I have signal check pro but am not seeing if I can tell from that or not and I'm not searching google for the right terms apparently.

It will just say Sprint if you're on band 25 LTE. Then "Sprint B26", "Sprint B41" will appear when you're on those bands.