Network Vision/LTE - Rochester Market (Rochester, New York)

S4GRU

There is one tower in west Webster that has not gone to 4g.

Is there anyway to find out when this one will be updated? I've seen town board meeting agenda items about replacing this tower with a taller one or moving it slightly.   

Thanks

Mike

Stupid "Devils Cove" tower... It's the last piece I need to be able to successfully stream music to work and back with no interruption.

Edited by Mr.Nuke
Edited to Remove Cascade ID

All of the sites in the Rochester market will be completely overhauled. Only the GMO sites in the bottom of the market by Alcatel Lucent are getting moderate upgrades. But this is not a problem, it's a good thing.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Do you know if the sprint network vision is supposed to have fiber optic lines, or is it only some areas. I live in NYC and the spark network is almost complete, but I think the only band's that has optic cables are bade 41,speedtest's show the downloads are consistent speeds acrosd the graph, band 26 also... Band 45 seems about up 1meg & down 1meg with slow movements to it's top speed. It's antennas strange, it seemd as if network vision 1.0 use copper t1 that would explain allot I guess. reason for its slow start. The other bands start really fast then slowed down to 50/60 MBS speed, the same with band 26. I've been googling for his trying to get an answere. But I just found out more confusing into about Sprint & some other commodity companies has a couple of under sea ootic connections, international waters optic connections for their other long distance industry department. Would they be able to use this to their advantage & connect Sprint wireless to it's nationwide optic network or are they only upgrading done towers to use oc's? I thought the whole NV network would be updated to the latest that wirekess networks has to offer...I can tell that on humid days & rainy days you can see a major show down in the network, from what I've read it's because its a microwave antennas weakness (humidity & rain) so I'd NYC a fiber optic connected city or copper? I would like to know since it's since this will help me decide to either move to T-Mobile or at&t. I'm hoping it's modernized enough that they've gone the optic cable route. Please someone that know's give me something, thanks everyone. Edited by jayq330

Do you know if the sprint network vision is supposed to have fiber optic lines, or is it only some areas. I live in NYC and the spark network is almost complete, but I think the only band's that has optic cables are bade 41,speedtest's show the downloads are consistent speeds acrosd the graph, band 26 also... Band 45 seems about up 1meg & down 1meg with slow movements to it's top speed. It's antennas strange, it seemd as if network vision 1.0 use copper t1 that would explain allot I guess. reason for its slow start. The other bands start really fast then slowed down to 50/60 MBS speed, the same with band 26. I've been googling for his trying to get an answere. But I just found out more confusing into about Sprint & some other commodity companies has a couple of under sea ootic connections, international waters optic connections for their other long distance industry department. Would they be able to use this to their advantage & connect Sprint wireless to it's nationwide optic network or are they only upgrading done towers to use oc's? I thought the whole NV network would be updated to the latest that wirekess networks has to offer...I can tell that on humid days & rainy days you can see a major show down in the network, from what I've read it's because its a microwave antennas weakness (humidity & rain) so I'd NYC a fiber optic connected city or copper? I would like to know since it's since this will help me decide to either move to T-Mobile or at&t. I'm hoping it's modernized enough that they've gone the optic cable route. Please someone that know's give me something, thanks everyone.

If I understand your question, you're asking if all Sprint NV towers have fiber for backhaul or if some have T1 copper lines. All NV towers will have fiber as backhaul, every single tower that has LTE has fiber backhaul already. If it doesn't then LTE doesn't go live. The reason for b25 being so much slower is that its overburdened by single band devices. B41 has much higher speeds because it's a 10x10 swath of spectrum instead of a 5x5 like b25 and b26. Band 26 manages to stay at higher speeds because the network doesn't put people on it unless they can't get any other LTE band, or the other ones they can get are vastly over burdened. It's Sprint's final defense for when all else fails.

Band 41 is TDD so it is not 10x10, that would be FDD. Right now Band 41 uses a 20mhz channel and alternates the downlinks and uplinks on the same channel. The downlink has more time slots giveing it faster downloads then uploads.

I really wish I could find out when they have 4g in west greece...sprint has it marked as dark orange best lte service..it is grossly wrong..since the tower on 1462 manitou road is still broadcasting 3g....ive been very patient. ...

I really wish I could find out when they have 4g in west greece...sprint has it marked as dark orange best lte service..it is grossly wrong..since the tower on 1462 manitou road is still broadcasting 3g....ive been very patient. ...

How many times are you going to ask this question? Asking it 7 different ways, it's still the same question. If you'd like more information about what's going on in your market than what you can receive in this thread, you'll need to research the Sponsor threads. If you're not satisfied with that answer, you can reach out to Sprint directly as we're not Sprint.

Your repetitive question without your own actions to learn more yourself is not productive to this community and may be better displayed elsewhere.

• Like 1

I reached out to sprint.they said it was already upgraded...but why are you so negative and ruid...I come here for answers and I get ripped by u.....thanks for your help.JD

You know how little kids drive their parents crazy in the car by asking repetitively "Are we there yet" when all they have to do is look out the window for an update? You're figuratively doing the same thing here. We like to assist our members here on finding that information and educating them on how to obtain that information.

We'd like for you to help us, help you.

Queue AJ with the Jerry Maguire YouTube clip.

• Like 5

but why are you so negative and ruid...I come here for answers and I get ripped by u.....thanks for your help.JD

We are constantly directed to this thread, because your fellow members have (accurately) reported your posts for moderator attention. You have also been warned to use proper English in the past. Consider this a last warning. Posting on this site is not like writing a text message. Writing a proper sentence isn't that difficult.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just spoke with sprint customer care about coverage/signal issues.  I was told that the tower that covers my apartment (Penfield, located just northwest of 250/441, i think it's in the park) is scheduled for 2.5Ghz completion in the next 3 months.  800mhz is not scheduled.

• Like 1

Just spoke with sprint customer care about coverage/signal issues. I was told that the tower that covers my apartment (Penfield, located just northwest of 250/441, i think it's in the park) is scheduled for 2.5Ghz completion in the next 3 months. 800mhz is not scheduled.

Hooray!!! Good news! :-D

What does that mean for 800mhz? I understand our proximity to canada makes deploying that more complicated?

We have to wait years yet I believe, the Canadian radio authorities have to make agreements with American carriers and/or the FCC to allow for use of that spectrum within the IBEZ.

That’s what I thought.  800mhz would probably make my phone work inside my apartment too.  Sounds like I can either keep turning LTE off on my phone so it will connect to my Airave or ditch Sprint.  I like unlimited data but I am not really finding another option.

Still not sure how I can live less than a mile from a tower and not have coverage that works.  How far should a 1900mhz signal work from the tower if there aren't any hills in the way?

That’s what I thought.  800mhz would probably make my phone work inside my apartment too.  Sounds like I can either keep turning LTE off on my phone so it will connect to my Airave or ditch Sprint.  I like unlimited data but I am not really finding another option.

Still not sure how I can live less than a mile from a tower and not have coverage that works.  How far should a 1900mhz signal work from the tower if there aren't any hills in the way?

Or, get a device with Wi-Fi calling/texting and you should be fine at home. Then you can ditch the Airave as well.

You do seem quite close though, can you see the site from your house, or is it blocked by anything? 1900Mhz 1x should travel for at least 5 miles, line of sight.

• Like 1

That’s what I thought. 800mhz would probably make my phone work inside my apartment too. Sounds like I can either keep turning LTE off on my phone so it will connect to my Airave or ditch Sprint. I like unlimited data but I am not really finding another option.

Still not sure how I can live less than a mile from a tower and not have coverage that works. How far should a 1900mhz signal work from the tower if there aren't any hills in the way?

If Sprint coverage does not work for you, you should leave. Things are getting progressively better as time goes on and the network is in a usable state now and speeds are somewhat competitive. Coverage is not going to change significantly until 800mhz, which is not going to happen for a while yet in Rochester.

I'd like to encourage you to stick it out because I'd rather see a Sprint subscriber than any of those other three, but there's no point if it doesn't work for you.

Or, get a device with Wi-Fi calling/texting and you should be fine at home. Then you can ditch the Airave as well.

You do seem quite close though, can you see the site from your house, or is it blocked by anything? 1900Mhz 1x should travel for at least 5 miles, line of sight.

I don't think I can see it.  I live southwest of the 441/250 intersection.  If I look in that direction I think the buildings across my parking lot block line of sight to the tower.  Not sure if I can see the tower from my second floor windows or not.  It's possible that I might see it if there are no leaves on the trees.  I measured in google earth and I am 0.85 miles from the tower.  I've had a weak signal since I moved in last July, before LTE was switched on.  This is nothing new.

Can I call/text over wifi with my LG G2 if i get some kind of app? Never looked into that but if I can use my number it might solve my issue.

If Sprint coverage does not work for you, you should leave. Things are getting progressively better as time goes on and the network is in a usable state now and speeds are somewhat competitive. Coverage is not going to change significantly until 800mhz, which is not going to happen for a while yet in Rochester.

I'd like to encourage you to stick it out because I'd rather see a Sprint subscriber than any of those other three, but there's no point if it doesn't work for you.

I really want to stay.  Outside of my apartment I have zero issues with sprint.  I really like unlimited everything for $60/mo too.  At first I heard "We're working on it", "it's a known issue",  etc... endlessly.  That went on from December until now.  Today whoever I spoke with was actually honest and told me that he was not aware of any plans to roll out an LTE femtocell (although internet articles say it's coming) and that he could not say when 800mhz might be complete since it is not scheduled yet.  All he really said was that there was nothing I could do other than switch the phone to CDMA only mode every time i come home and hope that  800mhz penetrates the building better when it's finally rolled out.  I don't know what I am going to do.  When I was paying $80 I was heading to another carrier on my girlfriend's plan.  Now that the new plan is $60 I might try to get Tasker to change the network mode to CDMA whenever i am connected to my home wi-fi network and back to LTE when I am not connected to it.  Or look into wi-fi calling like mentioned above.

Can I call/text over wifi with my LG G2 if i get some kind of app? Never looked into that but if I can use my number it might solve my issue.

Not sure on the G2, maybe someone else can chime in. The newest Sprint devices have native Wi-Fi calling built in, so it functions just as your phone does when it is connected to the cellular network. Same number, and text/MMS works over Wi-Fi as well. There are a few threads about this over in General Topics I believe, if you want to research this. You would also be able to reap the benefits of HD voice with Wi-Fi calling, something that does not work over the Airave.

Just did some reading myself.  Looks like the G3 has that feature but the G2 does not.  I am doing that thing where I pay for my phone over 2 years but can give it back and get a new phone after 1 year, which will be November 1st.  I can hold out for 1 1/2 more months and upgrade to the G3.  I can probably complain and get them to let me make the switch now.  I've called them enough times.

If you are satisfied with Sprint everywhere else, then wifi calling is a perfect solution. Just grab the handset and you'll be good to go! The use of those handsets on Sprint are no doubt beneficial for everyone as well due to the reduced load on the network.

Yes, absolutely.  I have been with sprint since 2000 i think and never had an issue until I moved to Penfield last year.  Even now my coverage is completely fine anywhere outside of my apartment.  I can't believe the sprint people I have talked to didn't say this was a possibility.

Thank you guys!

• Like 1

Just did some reading myself.  Looks like the G3 has that feature but the G2 does not.  I am doing that thing where I pay for my phone over 2 years but can give it back and get a new phone after 1 year, which will be November 1st.  I can hold out for 1 1/2 more months and upgrade to the G3.  I can probably complain and get them to let me make the switch now.  I've called them enough times.

I hope it works out for you, it sounds like the perfect solution. And who knows, maybe with time the issue with your site will be corrected if it is indeed an error at the site. (Incorrect power levels or downtilt) It's definitely worth creating a trouble ticket for with Sprint's tech-line. Worst case scenario, they tell you nothing is wrong.

Yes, absolutely.  I have been with sprint since 2000 i think and never had an issue until I moved to Penfield last year.  Even now my coverage is completely fine anywhere outside of my apartment.  I can't believe the sprint people I have talked to didn't say this was a possibility.

Thank you guys!

You're welcome! Is there any chance your apartment building has window tinting applied? What is it built out of? Solid steel? :D

• 1 month later...

The finally got the other tower by EV Mall in Victor upgraded to LTE.  I noticed it yesterday the whole time I was able to keep 4G LTE in the front of the mall facing 96. 

That's awesome! I was wondering when they were going to get to this because it's a rather high traffic area for people. I have had some issues with my eHRPD signal the last couple of days. I wonder if they are doing something to the market? My data signal has kept dropping out for 30-60 seconds at a time and then coming back before dropping out again, and then my phone seems to drop down to EV-DO for what I'm assuming are stability reasons? I'm using a Nexus 5 and this has occurred in the Honeoye Falls area. Anyone have any clues as to what might be going on?

Or maybe it could be something local to my phone or a temporary thing, who knows. Hoping for LTE out here soon though. I think the towers in Honeoye Falls are waiting on backhaul.

• Like 1