Network Vision/LTE - Rochester Market (Rochester, New York)

S4GRU

Well, don't HTC phones have weaker antennas or that has been my experience with the EVO 4g LTE (model before the M7).

What might help is a more modern phone that supports Sprint's 3 main LTE bands now.  The M7 only supports one.  I had a LG Volt that did well in the area.  I do not know if the iphone currently (or will support) supports that.

The EVO LTE was likely one of the weakest LTE devices on the Sprint lineup. HTC made big improvements with the M7, the M8 and M9 are even better. However, if you want the best LTE reception, you probably want to look at LG, at least with the current list of devices. 

The EVO LTE was likely one of the weakest LTE devices on the Sprint lineup. HTC made big improvements with the M7, the M8 and M9 are even better. However, if you want the best LTE reception, you probably want to look at LG, at least with the current list of devices. 

Unfortunately that is the case.  Wife still has hers and is somewhat happy with it. 

We are on Ting and unfortunately, with the FEC debacle, I moved to a GSM phone.

Well, don't HTC phones have weaker antennas or that has been my experience with the EVO 4g LTE (model before the M7).

What might help is a more modern phone that supports Sprint's 3 main LTE bands now.  The M7 only supports one.  I had a LG Volt that did well in the area.  I do not know if the iphone currently (or will support) supports that.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone is tri-band.  thx

Good to know. thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any updates on LTE 800 in the Rochester market?  Last time I asked sprint they looked it up and said it was not scheduled for the tower near my house.  That was a few months ago.

I was in Albany last week and noticed I was connected to it out there.

I have also witnessed band 26 in other parts of the state, nothing yet in Rochester though.

Also, band 25 speeds are starting to get pretty crowded and dire in town, though band 41 is still pretty great where you can find it. Anything to add LTE coverage for Sprint in the area would make a huge difference, be it for range or capacity.

I'm also curious if Sprint ever plans to upgrade the towers in the suburbs which still don't have LTE. Lots of those customers don't even view Sprint as an option anymore because the duopoly has had LTE in these areas for years.

All in all, don't really think Rochester is a big priority for Sprint right now. Still a great price for the service we get, though.

I have also witnessed band 26 in other parts of the state, nothing yet in Rochester though.

Also, band 25 speeds are starting to get pretty crowded and dire in town, though band 41 is still pretty great where you can find it. Anything to add LTE coverage for Sprint in the area would make a huge difference, be it for range or capacity.

I'm also curious if Sprint ever plans to upgrade the towers in the suburbs which still don't have LTE. Lots of those customers don't even view Sprint as an option anymore because the duopoly has had LTE in these areas for years.

All in all, don't really think Rochester is a big priority for Sprint right now. Still a great price for the service we get, though.

I'm sure they would, do you have examples of such towers in the suburbs?

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty sure the one tower I was wishing desperately they would upgrade for a while was built into a silo on a piece of farm property on top of a hill. Pretty ingenious, but if it's causing upgrade problems...

I am pretty sure the one tower I was wishing desperately they would upgrade for a while was built into a silo on a piece of farm property on top of a hill. Pretty ingenious, but if it's causing upgrade problems...

I wouldn't be surprised buddy.

ryman101 are you talking about the silo on 444 in Victor? I have been waiting for that one, and the one on high st for 2 freaking years. 

ryman101 are you talking about the silo on 444 in Victor? I have been waiting for that one, and the one on high st for 2 freaking years. 

There is that one, but more specifically I was talking about the one on 65 right by Cheese Factory Road. There are a few of them that I think are really messy for upgrades and it's pretty annoying because the competition all has LTE in those areas.

There is that one, but more specifically I was talking about the one on 65 right by Cheese Factory Road. There are a few of them that I think are really messy for upgrades and it's pretty annoying because the competition all has LTE in those areas.

yeah its a bit frustrating for sure. I have my hopes up that Sprint will deliver eventually and give me my LTE where I live. I work right in my neighborhood. I stream Music most of the day. But even with the improved 3g network I can have buffer issues, and also if I have my music going, forget browsing or checking my email. not enough bandwidth. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok a bit of good news for those of us in the downtown Victor, Farmington area. Sprint customer service informed me that the LTE towers in this area should be updated by the second quarter of this year. So quite possibly some 4g LTE before the summer for the area.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I gave up on sprint and went over to verizon.  They covered all my etfs and I made a little money selling off some of my sprint phones. I did have to buy new phones but they had a promotion for buy one s7 get one free so they were a really good deal (bought 6 total). 

My monthly bill is lower and the service is much better than I had with sprint.  Before I had one bar at home and relied on an airave. After switching I have only lost signal once (as far as I know) have not dropped a call, and have been able to stream youtube everywhere I've tried.  

I was really holding out hope for this 800mhz transition but that seems to be tied up with government red tape so who knows how long it will be. 

• 2 months later...

Having really bad connection problems for the last two weeks in the Winton / Brighton-Henrietta Town Line Road area.  Connection keeps dropping then three bars then dropping again.  Are there any known issues in the area?

• 3 months later...

I know it's been pretty quiet in here for a while so I thought maybe I'd spice it up a bit.

I don't know how much I'm allowed to share but there has been a TON of movement in the Rochester market. 41 updates in the last 90 days and 18 more in the next 90. 

3X is a thing. 4G service in previously 3G only areas is a thing. 

EDIT: Coverage maps have not been updated yet. 

• Like 3

I know it's been pretty quiet in here for a while so I thought maybe I'd spice it up a bit.

I don't know how much I'm allowed to share but there has been a TON of movement in the Rochester market. 41 updates in the last 90 days and 18 more in the next 90. 

Is the new 4G LTE service from GMO, or is a rebuilds part of the movement your talking about?

• Like 1

Are you a member of Sprint's network team ?????

• Like 1

Is the new 4G LTE service from GMO, or is a rebuilds part of the movement your talking about?

I'm not sure if the tools I use to see network related info will tell me that but I will look today for anything relevant. 

• 1 year later...

Hey, y’all! Just wanted to know if any other developments are currently in the works? This is my first time posting on the Rochester Market, but I’ve bookmarked this thread back in ‘12 and have been following it since then. Really appreciate all the feedback and info. Almost gave up on Sprint back in 2013, but glad I stuck with them as the network advancements have been amazing to see and enjoy. However, I just moved from Greece to midtown near Clinton Square and have really been impressed with the Sprint Spark/LTE Plus performance. Hard to believe I was struggling to just watch a video clip on my iPhone 4s with 3G back in 2014. I know it’s probably too early to speculate about 5G deployment, but the 150+ mbps download speeds I’ve been recording on OOKLA are making me curious. ??????

• Like 1