Network Vision/LTE - VT/NH/ME Market (including Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth, Burlington, Portland, Bangor)

S4GRU

Is this enough info to say I will have a good and decent connection in my house now on. Don't know what the numbers means please help.

It's not great.. you were on the fringe of 1X and LTE signals when you took that screenshot. LTE signal is low quality when it is worse than roughly -113 dB. 1X and EV-DO are unusable beyond roughly -105 dB. You are just about at those limits.. remember, these are negative numbers, so closer to zero means stronger signal strength. SignalCheck simplifies it by displaying those red/yellow/green bars; as you can see, yours are only about 1/3 filled. You want to see the bars filled all the way to the right and showing green for the best connections.

Robert had a nice article here about LTE signal strength and why the readings (RSRP) are not identical to 1X/EV-DO readings (RSSI). AJ had a more technical writeup about the scientific reasons behind it here. I suggest you read both if you want an education!

-Mike

• 4 months later...

So my town has been launched for a while the past two weeks my 3G and voice have been nothing but junk. My LTE on the other hand is performing amazing, could this be them switching on 1x800 or 800 3G??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Turboxsloth

So my town has been launched for a while the past two weeks my 3G and voice have been nothing but junk. My LTE on the other hand is performing amazing, could this be them switching on 1x800 or 800 3G??

If by "3G" you mean EV-DO/eHRPD, Sprint is not implementing any 800 MHz coverage for that. Only 1X (which is also 3G) and LTE. If you are having issues with calls, I would contact Sprint. It could be related to 1X 800 upgrades, but a lot of those in NH are already done, so you shouldn't be seeing issues for weeks.

-Mike

• 3 months later...

Vacationing in Maine, and struggling with roaming on USCC 1x for both voice and data going up RT 1. Good thing the scenery is its usual beautiful!

where are you at?  USCC has a crazy good network through route 1 and many roads off of it.  Most of it is LTE as well, but that doesnt benefit us though....yet.

• 1 month later...

Really wish they'd do something in the Stowe, VT area.

Yeah, only one site anywhere in that vicinity. :(

Sprint's CCA/RRRP partner VTel may provide some 4G relief in the area by the middle of next year.

Yeah, only one site anywhere in that vicinity. :(

Sprint's CCA/RRRP partner VTel may provide some 4G relief in the area by the middle of next year.

Actually, I would say there are at least three. A couple north of the mountain, and one in town. I'm guessing the two northern sites cover the resort.

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Areas west of Manchester are pretty spotty. No LTE once you get outside of Manchester. I believe Sprint has a tower atop Pat's Peak ski resort as there is fair coverage in that vicinity. (3g) Other than that there is really nothing. Most of the highways have no signal or maybe 0-1 bars of 1xrtt. I noticed 1x800 around Goffstown but I wasn't able to do any type of speedtest on it. Is Sprint doing any upgrades outside of the cities in NH? They really need to put up a couple of towers so there is at least basic coverage along the highways.

Areas west of Manchester are pretty spotty. No LTE once you get outside of Manchester. I believe Sprint has a tower atop Pat's Peak ski resort as there is fair coverage in that vicinity. (3g) Other than that there is really nothing. Most of the highways have no signal or maybe 0-1 bars of 1xrtt. I noticed 1x800 around Goffstown but I wasn't able to do any type of speedtest on it. Is Sprint doing any upgrades outside of the cities in NH? They really need to put up a couple of towers so there is at least basic coverage along the highways.

Sprint is upgrading all of its sites nationwide, and NH is no exception. A large majority of NH/VT/ME sites have new 3G equipment installed, but LTE progress has been a bit slower outside of the cities. This is most likely due to difficulties getting the necessary backhaul to these more rural sites.

I can speak from personal experience that LTE is strong on the entire length of the Everett Turnpike, I-95, and I-93 from Concord south. I can't share the specific sponsor data, but I will say that the cities are definitely the furthest along. If you become a sponsor, you can see the actual network maps and current upgrade status for each site.

-Mike

I tracked the signal this morning from Goffstown to Manchester and my nexus 5 has a strong 1x800 signal the whole way. I am unable to really get any data from it however. For some reason this phone won't stay on LTE for long and it reverts to a lesser signal. Is 1x800 supposed to have data?

I tracked the signal this morning from Goffstown to Manchester and my nexus 5 has a strong 1x800 signal the whole way. I am unable to really get any data from it however. For some reason this phone won't stay on LTE for long and it reverts to a lesser signal. Is 1x800 supposed to have data?

1x800 has super slow data. It's max speed is somewhere around 150-160kbps. Enough to browse on Chrome, load Google Maps, and check Twitter, but not much beyond that.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a vacation in Maine and did pretty good coverage wise. We were mostly on the coast up to Camden and I didn't have any real complaints. I did notice my wife's phone on AT&T in Portland really struggled at times. Her signal was fine but really slow speeds. 

It was a better experience than we had last year down in the York area where I could barely hold a signal in a lot of areas. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I travel past the Uncanoonuc mountains near Goffstown daily where there are a lot of transmitters. Sprint's signal is almost non existent towards Goffstown. I don't think they are using a tower at the top of those mountains. I am going to take a trip up there within the next few weeks and see if there is a signal. It seems there is an old Nextel tower at the top of one of the mountains that is not being used. I wish they would utilize any towers they may have there. Looking on Sprint's upgrade site doesn't show any activity there but if you look up the licenses, Sprint's name is mentioned. I will report back with any findings.

I went to the cell sites at South Uncanoonuc mountain today. I mapped it on Cellmapper. There doesn't seem to be anything from Sprint on the site besides maybe 1x800. I get a fairly strong 1x800 signal there. This is probably the same signal I get down in Goffstown. There are a couple of abandoned sites there. I took some pictures of a smaller tower that doesn't have anything on it now. Hopefully Sprint can setup something here because pretty much anywhere west of Manchester has next to nothing. 

In Vermont this week on vacation and the Sprint service has been... disappointing, to say the least.  On I-91, once we left Massachusetts, the Vermont portion of the trip was either 1X only or, Signal Check indicated, EV-DO and not eHRPD.  Then on VT-103 it was almost all roaming on US Cellular or Verizon (though I did have EV-DO roaming on US Cellular, at least).  Once we got to US-7, there was LTE from the two towers in Rutland, but then it's been 3G/eHRPD basically all the way up to Burlington.  Here in Burlington itself, I finally have B25.

- Trip

Rochester Nh u till Portsmouth nh is all lte band 26. We have live b41 on one tower I. Portsmouth. We have come along way here and it's only getting better!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by nh0120

In Vermont this week on vacation and the Sprint service has been... disappointing, to say the least. On I-91, once we left Massachusetts, the Vermont portion of the trip was either 1X only or, Signal Check indicated, EV-DO and not eHRPD. Then on VT-103 it was almost all roaming on US Cellular or Verizon (though I did have EV-DO roaming on US Cellular, at least). Once we got to US-7, there was LTE from the two towers in Rutland, but then it's been 3G/eHRPD basically all the way up to Burlington. Here in Burlington itself, I finally have B25.

- Trip

No service at Hill Farmstead. Although my iPhone showed 3-4 bars of 1x roaming, no access to data.