Network Vision/LTE - Winston/Salem Market (including Greensboro)

S4GRU

I work for a Sprint store in the Winston Salem Market and talked with a representative from Alcatel Lucent about the Winston Salem market which includes Greensboro, Winston Salem, Burlington, High Point, and other surrounding cities.  He informed me that this area will get a test run of about 14 towers in about 2 weeks but the full deployment will be started around the first of the year (2014).  That is a big delay from the August - September we have been told for the start of the full deployment but I am glad I have finally heard some hard facts for this market.  

We are at 19 sites with 4G LTE accepted in the Winston Salem market, and no signs of stopping.  I think this was a misunderstanding.  Most likely there were 14 sites that were ready at the time the guy talked to you, and the market would complete sometime around the first of the year.  Deployment is continuing to progress.  And that's a good thing.

Thanks for passing on the information you received though.  I do appreciate it.

Robert

Would you happen to know how many sites are in the winston area total?

229 to be exact, in the Winston/Salem Sprint market.

Robert

A tower was lit up this morning I think, around the Wendover/Holden/West Market St area, it's shooting out a really nice signal, all the way to High Point Rd to the east, and Guilford College to the West.  Mapped a lot of it today with Sensorly but it's not fully updated yet.  I was thinking at first that there may have been two towers, but it is just one as best I can tell.  Nice to have Greensboro finally get Sprint LTE that isn't just out on the edge of town like the other towers have been.  

• Like 1

Yeah it seems they've been focusing on the outskirts and surrounding rural areas. Have you looked at the coverage map on sensorly? I think they're avoiding my cell site which is a water tower. I don't even bother with 3g anymore. What's the use!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I work off of Stanley and Koger and I must be just out of reach of that new tower. I live in High Point just off the 311 and I'm barely out of reach there too.  Dang!  So close yet so far away...

• Like 1

Employee parking at Forsyth Medical has excellent 4G. Also anybody living in the Midway area, there was a tower down 8/12 that should be back up today sometime, hopefully they decided to upgrade it while they were at it. *fingers crossed*

• Like 1

I went to Jamestown after seeing a single spot.  Found it and tried to ride it to see how big the area was but from what I could tell it is a very small area of main street less than a mile.

I drove over to Jamestown last week for dinner (at Southern Roots) and didn't even realize there was LTE in the area until I got home.  The Thai shrimp was amazing, by the way. 

• Like 2

Sitting in an office tower in downtown Greensboro - 4G just lit up briefly.  I was trying to connect to the web and got "no mobile data" and no icon, then 4G with 3mb up, then back to 3G.  Encouraging!

• Like 1

That is great news.  When I had my EVO I didn't have any problems getting a 3G signal in my building.  Now that I have the GS3 I have a real hard time getting a 3G signal.  Since LTE penetrates better I am looking forward to good reception again.  Maybe next week it will be on all the time.

• Like 1

I will try to when I go back later today to my 5pm calculus class, I usually don't use sensorly since it's on passive.

Do I need to select map a trip? Sorry I haven't messed with sensorly much besides letting it do passive scans on it's own.

Edited by MrH_Carelock

Yeah do it manually cause I don't see where it mapped you. I'll try to get down there when I get off.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

If you look at Sprint's map of where they have towers and done upgrades there are often no towers near where we get small LTE hot spots.  Any one know why?  Also any idea why somewhere that clearly had LTE will not be there at a later date?

Edited by map0824

Probably because the maps are not updated due to the market not being launched yet. Sensorly's maps are about the best real time you're going to get, though it obviously depends on us to go out and actually do mapping.

On another note Greensboro has some LTE out around Merritt drive area near high point road that stretches out to Holden. Not sure if it's something new yet or the tower out on market that's been tweaked.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

If you look at Sprint's map of where they have towers and done upgrades there are often no towers near where we get small LTE hot spots.  Any one know why?  Also any idea why somewhere that clearly had LTE will not be there at a later date?

Are you talking about the coverage map or the network.sprint.com updates map?

Sprint doesn't officially acknowledged LTE in an area until the "launch" even though LTE is available to use once each individual tower is signed off.

Until the market is "launched" Sprint is likely to turn towers on and off for testing, maintenance, or other reasons. 

In our Sponsors section, we actually have maps tracking the LTE upgrades, and can tell you exactly where each currently active tower is.

• Like 1

Today my Sensorly froze.  It stopped recording.  Some of my mapping is recorded. Much of it is not.  I had 4G from Romaine St down High Point Road to Aycock St.  From Merritt down Patterson all the way to High Point Rd.  Down Vanstrory from Holden to High Point Rd.

Edited by map0824
  • Like 1