Network Vision/LTE - Winston/Salem Market (including Greensboro)

S4GRU

Well, maybe it's just received an upgrade. I've never gotten a connection that fast. (Even the WiFi at home and at work doesn't come NEAR.) I'm getting LTE in more and more places in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point. Not so much Kernersville. I see Sprint is FINALLY stepping up their game.

Sent from my HTC One Max using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, maybe it's just received an upgrade. I've never gotten a connection that fast. (Even the WiFi at home and at work doesn't come NEAR.) I'm getting LTE in more and more places in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point. Not so much Kernersville. I see Sprint is FINALLY stepping up their game.

It looks like your connected to Band 41, with turbo backhaul, considering you only had 1 bar of service and nearly picked up 40mb sec. Good to see Spark sites outside of the big cities!

And that's what I'm unsure about. I don't know a way to verify which of the three bands of LTE my phone is connected to. But somehow I doubt Sprint would start building out Turbo Spark towers in a town as small as High Point, NC. I don't know. Here's my question: ever since the Softbank, Sprint, Clear merger...are all the old Clear towers automatically broadcasting to all Sprint customers now or something? Or do some upgrades have to take place first. Clear mobile internet (Wimax, and now LTE) was pretty big in this area.

High Point has more working LTE than Greensboro.  I hope you mapped your LTE at the theater with Sensorly.  Also the tower that covered the Movie Theater was one of the towers that had Wi-Max. It would make sense that they would overhaul that one.

And also...if that was really Band 41, I'm wondering why the upload speed was soooooo slow. Things I've read online explain that the signal strength really is only for voice calls and doesn't necessarily indicate the quality of the data connection.

And that's what I'm unsure about. I don't know a way to verify which of the three bands of LTE my phone is connected to. But somehow I doubt Sprint would start building out Turbo Spark towers in a town as small as High Point, NC. I don't know. Here's my question: ever since the Softbank, Sprint, Clear merger...are all the old Clear towers automatically broadcasting to all Sprint customers now or something? Or do some upgrades have to take place first. Clear mobile internet (Wimax, and now LTE) was pretty big in this area.

One dead giveaway is that your speed went over what the 5x5 spectrum allows (which is 37mb sec) Also, you have a spark enabled phone. If your on the HTC One Max, try opening the dialer then and

dial ##DEBUG# then 

Select LTE Engineering.

You will see "band"

B25 is your typical LTE band (1900)

B26 (800)

B41 (Spark 2500/2600)

And also...if that was really Band 41, I'm wondering why the upload speed was soooooo slow. Things I've read online explain that the signal strength really is only for voice calls and doesn't necessarily indicate the quality of the data connection.

Your signal was extremely low, but since the site was unburdened you got decent speeds. About signal strength, when your on a voice call, it will switch the bars to voice signal, otherwise it will show your data. 

Picked up LTE Wendover and Westover terrace tonight with a great signal that died as soon as I pulled down the street my home is on. Close... So close.

Lots of updates for LTE posted today!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wendover and Westover Terrace has been on Sensorly for a while.  Don't know why it is such a small area.  I see a tower has been activated on Guilford College where it meets High Point Road in Jamestown.

Wendover and Westover Terrace has been on Sensorly for a while.  Don't know why it is such a small area.  I see a tower has been activated on Guilford College where it meets High Point Road in Jamestown.

I mapped that when the first tower in Greensboro popped up on West Market St, and it's panels where not angled down yet.  At the time I didn't realize that.  It's been a long time since I've spotted LTE in this area. 

Looks like the tower on Grimes in Highpoint is active.  Looks like Highpoint is 40 to 50% done.  Also it is possible that there are more towers that my GS3 cannot pickup like Clear Wire towers that have been converted.

Theres a little bit of LTE activity on Vandalia Road as well.  I live where Four Seasons Blvd and Vandalia iRd.  I get mixed signals almost every night.  I do notice even in 3G my data has extremely progressed.

As far as Winston Salem, I work on University Parkway majority of the road has LTE but at my job THERES NO HOPE! LOL Can't call, text, browse internet.  Not one single thing I can do for a 8-10 hr shift!

• Like 1

Picked up new LTE signals coming down Bryan Blvd into Greensboro.  The signal used to turn off at I73.  This morning it stayed on almost all the way to downtown.  There must be a new antenna working out there or they adjusted one of the others.

Drove down Battleground from New Garden to see where LTE may kick in. LTE started around Westridge and stayed on till just before downtown. Looking at Sensorly I think the active tower is near Battleground and Cone BLVD.

Edited by map0824
  • Like 1

I believe one of the towers that covers Oak Ridge is active.  Got LTE on 150 starting in Summerfield and continuing past 68.  I believe it is the tower off 150 and Bunch Road.  I also see some new activity downtown.  East of Elm Street, South of Market Street on Freeman Mill Road.

• Like 1