Network Vision/LTE - Winston/Salem Market (including Greensboro)

S4GRU

New tower turned on besides 311 between Kivett Drive and Greendboro Road. In High Point.  So it liiks like 1 tower is being turned on every 2 to 3 weeks in Guilford County.

For me it's literally getting closer to home. I like it!  Now I just need to finish my work day so I can get home to see how this one is looking.

I wish I understood why.  They seem to have south east highpoint and north west highpoint getting coverage when the towers are on.  Why they are not left on does not make any sense to me.  A few more towers and High Point would be done.

Hey guys. Figured I let you know that last week we went up to Liberty. The first time we went from 421 to the liberty exit. I picked up 4g as soon as we got off on the Liberty exit (after I updated the PRL) and kept it until we passed the BP. We went home from 42 I kept 4g until we reached Greensboro.

Second time I kept 4g until we about reached Hinshaw Shop Road. Then we went home on Old 421 & Liberty Road. We kept 4g until we reached Julian.

I've noticed around my area the signals been pretty weak (and usually I get 4 bars outside). Hopefully that means 4g's getting close to here.

Edited by Powers138

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking at the strength of the signal it is possible that an adjustment was made to the active tower on Market Street near the Sheetz.  It is not impossible there is a new tower but the only way to know is to drive around and map the are with Sensorly.  Sometimes a spot is right in the line of site for a tower and you will get that one spot but once you move you lose it.  If it is a new tower you will have some area to work with.  Also if it is a new tower you will see dark purple leading toward the tower.  Once you have the general area of the tower you can figure out its range. 

I see it at the Texas Road House.  It only shows that one area so I don't know if you did not get a good mapping or if that was the only spot available.  I had a similar thing happen in Greensboro.  I ate lunch at friendly shopping center and that one spot showed up and soon as I started to drive to map it the signal went away.  Only time will tell.

• Like 1

Yea it is kind of weird.  Myself and another guy are getting 2 different readings from the same spot.  We are getting 4G off the tower near Walmart on Huffman mill rd. and also on the tower in the park just north of the Sprint store on University.  We are very close to both so I am not sure why the readings are so low.  My guess is they  haven't yet calibrated the antenna's but that comes from a guy that knows nothing about towers.  

Could be an uncalibrated tower but usually when you see a small spot of 4G it is a signal from a tower that normally is out of range.  The signal could be bouncing off something and hitting in that one spot or the way the land curves that spot allows a signal to the tower.  Since there is a sprint store right there you can ask them if they have any information.  Had a similar situation at Friendly Center in Greensboro.  Went to Mimi's Cafe and left my phone in my van so it could charge while I ate.  Came out and saw 4G.  Got supper excited!!! Drove around and the signal disappeared soon as I hit Friendly Ave.  That is when I assumed it must be from the tower on Market Street near the Sheetz.  Sprint says that it turned on its Triband LTE in Chicago.  Of course I can't map that area but hope it is as good as they say.  Just saw on Sensorly the new data.  So it appears that there is an active tower near South Church Street where St. Marks Church Road and S Williamson Ave is.  When you see that dark purple you have found the sweet spot!!!

Edited by map0824
  • Like 1

Does anyone have any information about what's going on with the LTE Development? Here in what sensorly considers "Forest Oaks" I've only found 1 spot of LTE and that's on Southeast School Road. I can get LTE at my house if I walk into the woods then update my PRL, but if I try to use it it swaps to 3G.

I'm hoping that Sprint will finish putting LTE up 421.

According to here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/page-6&do=findComment&comment=145667

The Winston-Salem(Greensboro) markets isn't expected to be done until May 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

Sensorly shows LTE from where 40, 85 & 840 meet all the way to Durham following 40 into Raleigh.  I was at exit 276 on 40 and had a strong LTE signal.  The Raleigh Durham airport was LTE when I was there in August.  For what ever reason it was not working on Christmas Day.  In August I had a strong LTE signal inside Terminal #2 but nothing outside.  Softbank wants to buy T-Mobil so it will be interesting to see how that plays out and how it would affect Sprint customers.

Sensorly shows LTE from where 40, 85 & 840 meet all the way to Durham following 40 into Raleigh.  I was at exit 276 on 40 and had a strong LTE signal.  The Raleigh Durham airport was LTE when I was there in August.  For what ever reason it was not working on Christmas Day.  In August I had a strong LTE signal inside Terminal #2 but nothing outside.  Softbank wants to buy T-Mobil so it will be interesting to see how that plays out and how it would affect Sprint customers.

I left Sprint for T-Mobile.....isn't that my luck :-(

Sprint Spark working for the HTC ONE Maxx on highpoint rd, and was picking up a strong LTE non spark signal off of highpoint rd and hilltop

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I picked up LTE on Market Street going towards Hwy 68.  There are two towers on the GSO property.  The one on the south side of the airport is the one I believe is active.  I just checked Sensorly and the signal driving on Market street was very strong.  In regards to T-Mobile it shows that Softbank thinks big.  It is possible that Sprint may some day have the Lexus of communications.  As I drove yesterday I saw many spots where the signal was week where normally is would be decent.  There may be some major work going on that will have huge benefits.  We will have to wait and see.  This may also have something to do with my trip to RDU.  In August I had LTE in terminal 2 on Christmas there was barely a signal at all.  I think all of these events are connected.  Also how would you know you had a SPARK signal as apposed to a normal LTE signal.  In the latest update from Sprint I noticed that the signal lettering had changed making it more pronounced that you have 3G or 4G LTE.  Is there also a setting for SPARK? 

Edited by map0824

There's a Spark indicator in the toolbar. My bud called me all excited that he has LTE in his house. That would be the tower near West Mtn and 66 in K'ville.

• Like 1

Spark has a star looking symbol next to the LTE indicator at the top. It's working were there is no LTE signal picked up by any other device, and it's upwards of 35 down consistently. There are a few new LTE towers in town, ones out highpoint road near Jamestown, another out near church street. Next thirty days will see a lot of LTE work going on in GSO. Anyone here have a HTC ONE Max to test the spark signal?