Network Vision/LTE - Buffalo Market

S4GRU

Very disappointed in the lack of any recent upgrades in the area. The optimist in me, however, is hoping that one day soon we'll see a wave of site acceptances and get more widespread 4G...

i hope your right... but i doubt it... i was thinking that when i left there would be widespread 4g in buffalo when i came back for christmas break... not the case.... very little progress (except south towns)

Well thats new... Dunkirk and i think its jamestown in the south of the market have officially launched.. Thats nice! Especially because i know Dunkirk/ fredonia state college did not even have 3g now they have 3g and 4g.. Go Sprint!!

Well thats new... Dunkirk and i think its jamestown in the south of the market have officially launched.. Thats nice! Especially because i know Dunkirk/ fredonia state college did not even have 3g now they have 3g and 4g.. Go Sprint!!

Yup this is true. South is filling up pretty nicely with lte. Now they just have to work on North Buffalo and the inner Metro areas next, Although I feel those will be last

Mina, NY is "officially" a market that has launched? I've never even heard of that town. Certainly not of similar size to Dunkirk or Jamestown. Or even Olean which has had a bunch of LTE installed too. But, good for the southern tier at any rate!

I find it oddly peculiar that zero acceptances have been done in Niagara County.

• Like 1

Mina, NY is "officially" a market that has launched? I've never even heard of that town. Certainly not of similar size to Dunkirk or Jamestown. Or even Olean which has had a bunch of LTE installed too. But, good for the southern tier at any rate!

I find it oddly peculiar that zero acceptances have been done in Niagara County.

I was wondering the same thing..although I was in Niagara Falls this past weekend and had fairly unusual 3G speeds of 1.6-2.2mbps which in my mind only means im connecting to a 3G Accepted NV site because I usually roam close to the boarder. I guess it just depends on what the priority is. Rochester has almost complete NV 3G upgrades done but only like 3 towers that have LTE. All of NY seems to be blowing up with LTE so hopefully it wont be long before we see LTE in the Inner cities like NF and Buffalo

Just wanted to let everyone know about the Jamestown area.

4G was spotty, at best up until about a week ago, when both speed and signal strength went WAY up (so much so that I get better speed from 4G than from WiFi in my own apartment).  Some areas of Lakewood (just to the west) are also 4G, but the network there is acting the way downtown did through much of last month, so I expect it to be up and running full-time by mid-January.  Areas to the east and south of the city, however, remain stubbornly 2G, with a few spots of 3G, as is a small gap between Jamestown and Lakewood on Fairmount Avenue.  As I haven't been very far north of downtown lately, I am unable to report about the area near and north of I-86.

If you take a look at the map at Sensorly, you'll see a nice blob of purple.  Probably 90% of that is from my phone.

I'll keep everyone advised as the network expands.

• 2 weeks later...

No service where I normally get full signal with 2-3 mbps over 3G. They say they are working on 4G and it should be done by the 12th. Should I expect to have 4G LTE around that date. This is in Lockport, NY.

I haven't checked in Lockport (I drive through on the way to work), but for whatever reason, Medina has solid 4G LTE now.  I think the tower is near the corner of Salt Works Rd and Rt. 31.  I get 5 bars inside the building where I work (not far from the tower), and the last speed check showed 19.25 Mbps download, 3.35 Mbps upload, 67 ms ping on 12/31/13. The speed is very noticeable!  I wish we'd get LTE in North Tonawanda where I live.

Definitely found a new NV tower in lewiston. Second one this week. Very exciting. I cannot believe how fast it feels on 3G with those lower ping times. This has definitely been worth the wait. I was streaming music and buffering between songs was less than 3 seconds. Very impressive. I'll upload a screenshot later when I'm home.  :tu:  :tu:

• Like 1

4OPYmSyl.pngI was going to take pictures of the tower as well, but I don't have a camera other than my phone that can take good pictures in the dark. I believe this is a new tower that must have gone up rather quickly because I frequent this area and do not remember seeing the tower nor these speeds. Either way very happy that network vision is starting to pop up all over my town :)

I haven't checked in Lockport (I drive through on the way to work), but for whatever reason, Medina has solid 4G LTE now. I think the tower is near the corner of Salt Works Rd and Rt. 31. I get 5 bars inside the building where I work (not far from the tower), and the last speed check showed 19.25 Mbps download, 3.35 Mbps upload, 67 ms ping on 12/31/13. The speed is very noticeable! I wish we'd get LTE in North Tonawanda where I live.

We were supposed to have it tomorrow. It might take longer. Right now I get about 2 down 1 up and 100 ping with 6 bars 3g

We were supposed to have it tomorrow. It might take longer. Right now I get about 2 down 1 up and 100 ping with 6 bars 3g

Where did you hear that timeline from? I haven't seen any updates suggesting that lockport is supposed to have 4G BY tomorrow... As many have said before you can't really trust the reps at sprint for accurate information regarding the lte timeline. 

Good point about the reps. They said around today. They said thats why service was so bad a week ago. I was in Shelby on the 3rd. I didn't see any lte after I got to my Grandparents. I wasn't really looking either.

At work I have a data connection from about -90dbm to -100dbm. When lte gets turned on whichever tower I'm connected to will my lte signal be at about the same dbm range? And if it is will I even notice much of a speed increase? Because I know lte is more fragile than evdo. What is the "cutoff" in dbm so to speak of lte being unusable?

• Like 1

Although I want LTE everywhere here in Buffalo, the one tower I hope gets upgraded soon is the one on Meyer Rd in Amherst, by the 290/990 interchange. That's the one nearest where I work. I really hope Sprint gets a move on with upgrades within the 290-90-190 loop...

I feel like the weather has been playing a huge factor in how long its taking to get towers upgraded. Really no known upgrades in weeks. And since IBEZ holds us back in terms of LTE 800 does anyone know if we will be getting the other 2 bands (1900,2500mhz) to cover the area or just 1900?

I feel like the weather has been playing a huge factor in how long its taking to get towers upgraded. Really no known upgrades in weeks. And since IBEZ holds us back in terms of LTE 800 does anyone know if we will be getting the other 2 bands (1900,2500mhz) to cover the area or just 1900?

You will get both.  First Band 25 (1900), then Band 41 (2600).  Sprint has committed to building out Band 41 LTE in the Top 100 markets in two year.  They are starting that work in the 2nd quarter this year.  Since the Buffalo/Niagara area is the 49th largest market in the U.S. it is slated to get Band 41.

Additionally, the Buffalo market will likely get Band 26 (800) eventually.  Once an agreement can be reached with the Canadians about sharing, Sprint will likely be able to deploy a 3MHz LTE channel there.  It won't win any speed awards.  But it will allow for some extra capacity and the ability to get an LTE signal in hard to cover places inside buildings and at the edge of service.  I think the earliest this could happen in your market is at least 2 more years though.

Robert

• Like 1

You will get both.  First Band 25 (1900), then Band 41 (2600).  Sprint has committed to building out Band 41 LTE in the Top 100 markets in two year.  They are starting that work in the 2nd quarter this year.  Since the Buffalo/Niagara area is the 49th largest market in the U.S. it is slated to get Band 41.

Additionally, the Buffalo market will likely get Band 26 (800) eventually.  Once an agreement can be reached with the Canadians about sharing, Sprint will likely be able to deploy a 3MHz LTE channel there.  It won't win any speed awards.  But it will allow for some extra capacity and the ability to get an LTE signal in hard to cover places inside buildings and at the edge of service.  I think the earliest this could happen in your market is at least 2 more years though.

Robert

How about the Rochester, NY market with 800?