Network Vision/LTE - Buffalo Market

S4GRU

Everyone that I've talked to has said that 800Mhz LTE is not coming to Buffalo due to it's proximity to Canada. I have heard rumblings about possible voice, but to the best of my knowledge no LTE :(

we really need both 800's... or more towers to make up for it... i never get good signal like anywhere! plus 800 could work in the burbs away from canada maybe just not the city it is kinda crazy if they bar the whole market!

Everyone that I've talked to has said that 800Mhz LTE is not coming to Buffalo due to it's proximity to Canada. I have heard rumblings about possible voice, but to the best of my knowledge no LTE :(

we really need both 800's... or more towers to make up for it... i never get good signal like anywhere! plus 800 could work in the burbs away from canada maybe just not the city it is kinda crazy if they bar the whole market!

That would really be a big shame if we couldn't get the 800mhz lte, or voice for that matter. But, it wouldn't surprise me since we are in the IBEZ area. This sucks but there's nothing we can really do about it. I agree, vtimmy, we really do need it here badly. It would be nice if Sprint could build us some new towers though :)  :fingers:  :fingers: I won't hold my breath though lol

I'm still on the fence about changing to Verizon or Staying.

But can someone explain to me what 800mhz lte is compared to other types of lte and its benefits?    So if sprint doesn't use 800mhz lte, does that mean Verizon or someone else's lte is better/faster?   What does IBEZ mean?

I'm still on the fence about changing to Verizon or Staying.

But can someone explain to me what 800mhz lte is compared to other types of lte and its benefits?    So if sprint doesn't use 800mhz lte, does that mean Verizon or someone else's lte is better/faster?   What does IBEZ mean?

Hi Welcome to S4gru... I'm going to try to help you but im no expert...

Ibez is this treaty we have with the canadians about cell interferance...  So 800mhz was the spectrum used by Nextel. The lower the number is for the spectrum the better it is at penetrating things! The higher i believe can transmit data faster... Sprint always up to this point and you have been using 1900 if you have good signal now you shouldn't be all that concerned with 800! Sprint also got 2600 from clearwire that will be deployed to make their network SUPER FAST should be fastest.. thats just starting to roll out...

now on to device compatability 800 is currently in many new cell phones and able to use for voice and text but not data (pretty much anything including and after the htc evo 3d) Sprint is activating 800 for voice and text on many different towers!! 

800 lte will do the same thing as 800 voice did in penetrating although no current sprint phone can use this... yet....

btw i tried to stay away from some of the very confusing terms... Some members on this site are nazi's about there terminology like mhz mps panels... im scared to use them thats why i might of been so vague

In the end we may or may not get 800 anything and if not its canadas fault and or ibez treaty so BLAME CANADA! INVADE!! 

...now on to device compatability 800 is currently in many new cell phones and able to use for voice and text but not data... Sprint is activating 800 for voice and text on many different towers!! 

Correction, 

CDMA 1x Advanced on 800 SMR does allow for data. 

LTE is up at the airport. Reliable 7Mbps down. Enjoy :)

Yep, two sites went accepted in the Buffalo market.  Locations will be posted in the sponsor area.  Be sure and map them on out on Sensorly as long as you don't have a Galaxy Nexus. 

Yep, two sites went accepted in the Buffalo market.  Locations will be posted in the sponsor area.  Be sure and map them on out on Sensorly as long as you don't have a Galaxy Nexus. 

Just re-downloaded Sensorly. I'll be able to map out the airport location tomorrow. The other one I'm not so keen on since it's not in the bestest of neighborhoods.  :(

Just re-downloaded Sensorly. I'll be able to map out the airport location tomorrow. The other one I'm not so keen on since it's not in the bestest of neighborhoods.  :(

Great!  It's nice to see another market getting some purple on the map.  I also recommend the SignalCheck app as it shows the actual LTE strength in your notification bar.  And just a side piece of advice if you have a custom aftermarket ROM on your device, the developers sometimes change the carrier name on the device from Sprint to something else and this makes any mapping with Sensorly worthless. 

Simple to do with Sensorly though...  cycle airplane to get your LTE signal if needed, then open Sensorly, Hit Map Trip, then Start.  Drive around the area watching the signal on the SignalCheck app.  I check back on the Sensorly details screen just to make sure my points are uploading. 

Did some mapping out by the airport and ran a few speed tests. I had minimum of 9.5 Mbps down/5 Mbps up. Then I continued my mapping to the other location and into downtown. I was surprised I didn't lose my 4G once I got downtown. I was about 3 1/2 miles away from that tower too and there was probably a dozen or so non-upgraded towers closer to me. It wasn't very usable from that distance as I ran a speed test and it was <500 kpbs down. Since I'm all new to this 4G stuff, will it hold onto that signal until I lose it even though there are closer 3G towers?

• Like 1

This is fantastic news.  Had a coworker seeing 4G on her phone yesterday (8/1) but it missing again today.  Possibly still testing the tower.

My existing HTC EVO is not lte, but our contracts are up, and we live a mile east of the airport, so hopefully we get some good signals at home.   Possibly going to upgrade tonight.

Did some mapping out by the airport and ran a few speed tests. I had minimum of 9.5 Mbps down/5 Mbps up. Then I continued my mapping to the other location and into downtown. I was surprised I didn't lose my 4G once I got downtown. I was about 3 1/2 miles away from that tower too and there was probably a dozen or so non-upgraded towers closer to me. It wasn't very usable from that distance as I ran a speed test and it was <500 kpbs down. Since I'm all new to this 4G stuff, will it hold onto that signal until I lose it even though there are closer 3G towers?

Thanks for mapping ^_^ About your question on the signal and holding onto it...I'm no expert but from what I've gathered through this site, I think it depends a lot on your phone. I think your phone will scan for a stronger tower every X amount of time and when it does find a stronger one I think it will connect to that one. I've had several 4G  phones and some seemed to hold onto very weak lte signals while others didn't. Robert can feel free to jump in and correct/enhance my answer at any time lol. I've yet to see our 4G in action yet but I will probably be out in Buffalo this weekend to do some mapping myself. I hope I helped you understand a little bit?

Legit about to get in my car and drive to the airport!!! just got back from letchworth state park where sprint has spotty to no coverage!! and your tellin me 4g came to buffalo wile i was gone ITS LIKE CHRISTMAS :) 

yupp! ^_^ I actually was out in Buffalo today at a friend's house and did a little bit of mapping. I tried to do some speed tests but I feel as though it's still "beta" for a lack of a better term. The best signal I could find was -110dbm, thus, it was a very fragile signal and I kept falling back to 3G. I did get the strangest speed test to date out there; I got 0.91mb/s down and 9.8mb/s up. Strange but some progress is better than none at all :) Can't wait to see what the coming months bring us.

• Like 1

yupp! ^_^ I actually was out in Buffalo today at a friend's house and did a little bit of mapping. I tried to do some speed tests but I feel as though it's still "beta" for a lack of a better term. The best signal I could find was -110dbm, thus, it was a very fragile signal and I kept falling back to 3G. I did get the strangest speed test to date out there; I got 0.91mb/s down and 9.8mb/s up. Strange but some progress is better than none at all :) Can't wait to see what the coming months bring us.

Yeah me either... better hurry up though.... aug 26 I'm off to the central ny market. .. and not syracuse but Oswego.... l

Been driving around Buffalo mapping with Sensorly. The East Side, Cheektowaga, and the Airport are covered although not 100% yet. Their seems to only be 2 LTE towers live and its pretty impressive how far 4G goes on the 1.9GHz. Also some parts of Depew have spotty LTE. August should be a very fun month for us Buffalonians :D

• Like 1

Just Left the sprint store on Union. Rep said Buffalo will be lit up by October and fully completed by December 2013. Might go quicker than that though wasn't expecting LTE this early anyway hah

Hmmm... I'm not sure you should trust the reps. They might be right, but there is an even greater chance that they are wrong. So far reps have been over promising for Sprint and as a result, Sprint has under delivered.

Hmmm... I'm not sure you should trust the reps. They might be right, but there is an even greater chance that they are wrong. So far reps have been over promising for Sprint and as a result, Sprint has under delivered.

True but when your in the Sprint store and have 4G on it is very convincing. I will actually believe the rep this time just because there is proof that Network Vision is underway