Motorola X Users Thread!

ericdabbs

So it has LG Optimus G processor, A customizable backplate (that you can't customize if you aren't on att) with some motorola smart actions and it's single band LTE... I can't see the point. Does it really matter if you can customize the back plate when people are just going to slap it into a case? I really don't see this help Moto out of its badly in the red situation.

Only thing? Thats sort of important though?

You can get better phones for cheaper. With removable batteries, wireless charging and expandable memory. Higher res screens, and faster processors. For cheaper.

This phone offers absolutly nothing.

Is it even tri-band at Sprint? Im going to guess not.

Its not triband LTE according to the FCC docs.

Has anyone definitively made the connection that this is the same Motorola handset we saw in the FCC OET several weeks ago? No tri band, I suspect so.

AJ

The FCC docs below show a Motorola phone coming to Sprint with single band LTE that hit the FCC on May 21.  The Sprint model number that it states in the FCC documents is the XT1056 with FCC ID: IHDT56PB2. 

The AT&T model is the XT1058 with FCC ID: IHDT56PA1 as confirmed by this screenshot from today's press event:

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/2957#12

Unless we know of any future Motorola phones coming to Sprint, I would safely assume the FCC docs below match the Moto X variant for Sprint.

FCC docs for Sprint Moto X model

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=425753&fcc_id=IHDT56PB2

• Like 1

So by this logic the Nexus 10 is a fail because the processor is a 1.7 dual-core whereas the first nexus 7 is a 1.2 quad-core? Personally a 1.7 dual-core paired with 2GB of RAM performs a lot better than the 1.2 quad-core with 1GB of RAM; not too mention the Nexus 10 is at 1600p vs 800p resolution on the Nexus 7. The 720p 4.7" screen is being pushed by the same GPU found in the HTCONE, S4, and the new Nexus 7 all with much higher resolutions at 1080p,1080p, and 1200p. If your opinion is opposed, then it is like saying the evoLTE's screen just wasn't clear enough for you. I think the point of this device is also all the additional chips that are running nearly 100% of the time such as the additional motion and audio chips for the "camera activation shake" and the "Ok Google Now". I have a feeling if these features are successful we will begin to see them integrated into future Nexus devices and in possible future android versions such as 5.0 which will ultimately be rolled into HTC, LG, and Samsung. However, it is a fail if it is indeed not a tri-band device. On a personal gripe, I wish that all future phones have the dual front facing speakers like the HTCONE, I have been since speakers should be facing the front since the HTC Touch Pro 2 since it looked like it already had them which it did not.

But then again, if I want to listen to music or movie, then I much prefer using Klipsch X7i earphones! Why would I annoy people around me by playing something outloud?

But then again, if I want to listen to music or movie, then I much prefer using Klipsch X7i earphones! Why would I annoy people around me by playing something outloud?

Nice dual speakers are great only for those times that you want to share a video on Youtube or Netflix with your friends or family and it will be nice to hear the sound not from the tiny speaker on back side but rather with dual speakers on the front.  But like you said, if I am at an airport, public bathroom, library etc I don't need dual stereo speakers to playing something out loud to annoy people and would use headphones or earphones instead.

• Like 1

Good job on rationalizing. Once you've tried them they are actually really good. I have a good pair of earphones, for me though, I like blasting my music on my phone. It's nice to have the feature, and it's hard to go back once you have it.

-Luis

Looks like VZW will get customization on the X as well.

Sad to see that this phone isn't much better than an S III spec-wise...but is priced $100 higher. "Made in the US" is definitely worth something, but considering its status as a single-band phone, and lack of customization, this is a pretty raw deal for Sprint users.

For VZW and AT&T folks, however, this phone will include the bands both providers have/will be rolling out in the next year or two. And you get free customization.

I'm just curious as to how much the Google Play model will cost, and if it will be customizable. If Google decides to sell it for $400, it's a reasonable successor to the Nexus 4, and I may pick one up. But my bet is that it'll be closer to $500...

I think the pricing at $199 with 2 year contract is a deal breaker.  If they really wanted to get some market share away from HTC and Samsung, they needed to price this lower like $149 with 2 year contract.  Why would anyone want to get this Moto X phone when they can now get a GS4 and HTC One at the $199 price given the specs of the Samsung and HTC devices.

Motorola dropped the ball on this one and I can't wait to drop my Moto Photon for a Galaxy Note 3.

I think the pricing at $199 with 2 year contract is a deal breaker.  If they really wanted to get some market share away from HTC and Samsung, they needed to price this lower like $149 with 2 year contract.  Why would anyone want to get this Moto X phone when they can now get a GS4 and HTC One at the $199 price given the specs of the Samsung and HTC devices.

Motorola dropped the ball on this one and I can't wait to drop my Moto Photon for a Galaxy Note 3.

I dropped my photon as quickly as i could after not even getting ICS. I can't see myself buying another motorola when this custom SOC components could mean even slower updates and no triband LTE. With the LG OG2 and Iphone 5(s) launching soon after I can't see this as being anything but futual for Motorola. Add to the fact that anyne outside of at&t can't even customize it for whatever the exclusivity period makes the Moto x even less attractive for anyone but att users.

I dropped my photon as quickly as i could after not even getting ICS. I can't see myself buying another motorola when this custom SOC components could mean even slower updates and no triband LTE. With the LG OG2 and Iphone 5(s) launching soon after I can't see this as being anything but futual for Motorola. Add to the fact that anyne outside of at&t can't even customize it for whatever the exclusivity period makes the Moto x even less attractive for anyone but att users.

I wasn't too fond of the customized Motorola X8 chipset which is basically a Qualcomm S4 Pro chip and the fact that i has a 720p display.  All the customization features such as the back cover should not just be limited to AT&T customers but all carriers.  Motorola really needed to offer all the options to try to obtain market share and they failed. 

I'll be curious to see how this always on Google Now feature works when tech blogs get their hands on it.

I'll be curious to see how this always on Google Now feature works when tech blogs get their hands on it.

I rarely ask questions without doing my own research first; however, I will break habit here.  I am familiar with Google Now, but what is the "always on Google Now feature"?

AJ

In their feature video for the Moto X, they show a guy waking up and he says "Hey Google Now" and Google Now window pops up and then he says "wake me up in 20 minutes" and sets and alarm or  "note to self, remind me to buy coffee" and sets a reminder.  Here is the video of it.  I don't believe any of the current Android phones have this feature or else Google wouldn't be advertising this as a feature for the Moto X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXyCbrdQEyA

In other words, it is always going to be recording your voice and ambient sounds. Hmm, this could be interesting data mining.

AJ

In other words, it is always going to be recording your voice and ambient sounds. Hmm, this could be interesting data mining.

AJ

Yeah you got that right.  I am not sure if this is something everyone would want.

Yeah you got that right.  I am not sure if this is something everyone would want.

I guess I should have said that I am intimately familiar with Google Now.  With the Motorola X, the question is will Google Now become intimately familiar, too intimately familiar with me?

AJ

I guess I should have said that I am intimately familiar with Google Now. With the Motorola X, the question is will Google Now become intimately familiar, too intimately familiar with me?

AJ

It doesn't so anything until you say those three key words. So it's always listening for Okay Google Now, not everything you talk about. I personally trust Google more so with my data than any other company out there. They are pretty up front with what they don't and you can always opt out if you don't like it. Unlike Apple or Facebook etc. , now that would be scary if they did this.

This messsege brought to you by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

I wasn't too fond of the customized Motorola X8 chipset which is basically a Qualcomm S4 Pro chip and the fact that i has a 720p display.  All the customization features such as the back cover should not just be limited to AT&T customers but all carriers.  Motorola really needed to offer all the options to try to obtain market share and they failed. 

From my understanding, (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) moto did a samsung "big-little"esque configuration to the SOC, where the main part is run the S4 pro, but Moto has dedicated and custom chip(s) for the sensors and the moto enhanced features. So the core android is handled by the S4, but everything else that makes the X special is handled by the custom part of the SOC. That alone will make every update lag behind (hopefully not by much), it's even launching with 4.2.2. That speaks volumes to me.

The most interesting part of this phone is that it's using Qualcomm's AC chip instead of Broadcom. For that reason alone makes the phone interesting to me anyway.

Yeah, but the MDM9615 cellular baseband, which the Motorola X is almost surely using, integrally supports 802.11ac, right?  I think we had a similar discussion a few weeks ago.  So, since Motorola and Google are trying to keep the costs down, it makes sense that they would stick with the integrated Wi-Fi, rather than opt to pay for the separate Broadcom solution.

AJ

Yeah, but the MDM9615 cellular baseband, which the Motorola X is almost surely using, integrally supports 802.11ac, right?  I think we had a similar discussion a few weeks ago.  So, since Motorola and Google are trying to keep the costs down, it makes sense that they would stick with the integrated Wi-Fi, rather than opt to pay for the separate Broadcom solution.

AJ

Yeah, I'm betting it's cheaper to bundle it all with Qualcomm. As far as how it is all integrated is the part where I start to get confused. The part for ac is WCN3680, but it's still integrated with the SoC.

Here's a couple of articles where Brian Klug talks about it: 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5942/qualcomm-atheros-makes-two-80211ac-solutions-official-wcn3680-and-qca986x

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5594/qualcomm-atheros-demos-80211ac-on-msm8960