Motorola X Users Thread!

ericdabbs

huh

Backstory...

I have a s4 which was my first (kept) android device after being a loyal iPhone user. Love the screen, dislike touchwiz and it's actually a bit too big..

Clearwire has a bunch of towers where I work so I figured I'd get a tri band phone - the iPhone 5C or 5s, but that's only 2 bands. So I said hmm maybe the X is it but it's only got 1 band.

The Nexus 5 had me at $350...but the poor camera and well the long wait times have me looking at the iPhone again or X.

Oh I just sold my s4 so I need to make up my mind I suppose before I ship it out ;-)

Sorry for the soap opera posting :-)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

AJ is correct. Historic Nextel service has no bearing on Sprint 800MHz service. Sprint is not deploying on Nextel sites but in only a handful of locations. Sprint is taking Nextel's 800MHz spectrum and putting it on Sprint sites.

So what matters is not where Nextel used to be, but where Sprint will broadcast CDMA & LTE 800 and how far it reaches from their sites. In most areas, this will be great. This is only bad news for areas far outside Sprint service, but were within Nextel service areas.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Simply: Understanding I'm looking for subjective opinion, not objective fact, is 1900 good enough, or does support for just that one band make the X a non-starter for most people?

It really is a question of geography and needs. It's not a question we can answer. If Sprint Band 25 LTE (1900) deployed in your area and the places you go meets your needs, then a UniBand LTE device will work for you.

I will say this though. About 30% of Sprint customers are better off now with a Triband device. About 60% will be better off with a Triband device in 6 months. And 90% will be better off within one year. So basically, if you're signing a two year contract, you can count that not having Triband will be a significant hindrance the second half of your contract. And depending on where you live, maybe much sooner.

I'd further add, if I lived in a Samsung NV market, I would probably want a Triband, as LTE 800 is coming soon to most of them. Also, if I lived in a Shentel market, I definitely would want a Triband as they are going to have LTE 800 all over the place soon. If I lived in a capacity constrained market like Houston or Chicago, I definitely would want a Triband. And if I lived in one of the Band 41 active deploying Clearwire markets, I probably would want a Triband.

Maybe this info helps you make up your mind.

• Like 3

Thanks, AJ. But, I have a question about ”what it all means”. I've tried to ask it before, but maybe I am trying to get too far down into the weeds, so I get very specific answers but what I'm really looking for is a high-level analysis.

Simply: Understanding I'm looking for subjective opinion, not objective fact, is 1900 good enough, or does support for just that one band make the X a non-starter for most people?

1900 being good enough would really depend on where you live.  Also the fact that the moto x is single bad makes it a non purchase most that consider themselves wireless enthusiasts but for your average consumer it probably won't make a difference until they get more educated on the matter.

• Like 1

AJ is correct. Historic Nextel service has no bearing on Sprint 800MHz service. Sprint is not deploying on Nextel sites but in only a handful of locations. Sprint is taking Nextel's 800MHz spectrum and putting it on Sprint sites.

So what matters is not where Nextel used to be, but where Sprint will broadcast CDMA & LTE 800 and how far it reaches from their sites. In most areas, this will be great. This is only bad news for areas far outside Sprint service, but were within Nextel service areas.

that explains why I have seen two nextel only towers brought down (not the tower just the equipment) 

It really is a question of geography and needs. It's not a question we can answer. If Sprint Band 25 LTE (1900) deployed in your area and the places you go meets your needs, then a UniBand LTE device will work for you.

I will say this though. About 30% of Sprint customers are better off now with a Triband device. About 60% will be better off with a Triband device in 6 months. And 90% will be better off within one year. So basically, if you're signing a two year contract, you can count that not having Triband will be a significant hindrance the second half of your contract. And depending on where you live, maybe much sooner.

I'd further add, if I lived in a Samsung NV market, I would probably want a Triband, as LTE 800 is coming soon to most of them. Also, if I lived in a Shentel market, I definitely would want a Triband as they are going to have LTE 800 all over the place soon. If I lived in a capacity constrained market like Houston or Chicago, I definitely would want a Triband. And if I lived in one of the Band 41 active deploying Clearwire markets, I probably would want a Triband.

Maybe this info helps you make up your mind.

what about the Alcatel markets (NE)? 

that explains why I have seen two nextel only towers brought down (not the tower just the equipment)

If I was in an A/L market, it would depend on whether I was in/or frequently travel to a current WiMax market that would be getting Band 41 LTE upgrades, or if I was in an area that desperately needs LTE 800 (like Torrington does).

No matter what, based on my needs and desires, I would only buy Triband. However, if I was not me, then I would only consider a UniBand in A/L areas if I lived in an area with solid LTE 1900 coverage that met my needs everywhere I went.

• Like 2

If I was in an A/L market, it would depend on whether I was in/or frequently travel to a current WiMax market that would be getting Band 41 LTE upgrades, or if I was in an area that desperately needs LTE 800 (like Torrington does).

No matter what, based on my needs and desires, I would only buy Triband. However, if I was not me, then I would only consider a UniBand in A/L areas if I lived in an area with solid LTE 1900 coverage that met my needs everywhere I went.

as always I thank the Great Oracle ;-)

the mid section of CT is or was heavy wimax -- I didn't think band 41 was coming anytime soon though after the Spark roll out plans (or is band 41 and Spark two different things?) that just share the same bands? 

Yeah the hilly landscape or Torrington could use 800 BUT I'm not holding my breathe LOL  :-)  but will welcome it if it comes :-) 

I will say this though. About 30% of Sprint customers are better off now with a Triband device. About 60% will be better off with a Triband device in 6 months. And 90% will be better off within one year. 

Would the other 10% of us be in SouthernLinc's native coverage area?  Minus Atlanta who I would think will see some band 41 love.

1900 being good enough would really depend on where you live.  Also the fact that the moto x is single bad makes it a non purchase most that consider themselves wireless enthusiasts but for your average consumer it probably won't make a difference until they get more educated on the matter.

I never considered myself a wireless enthusiast because I don't know as much as a lot of members here, but I suppose I am since going forward all my phones will be triband.

My problem is that I have a phone that's nearly 4 years old.  Money doesn't prevent me from upgrading; size does.  I've been waiting forever for decently sized phones to reappear.  They're still too big, but the Moto X or Verizon Droid Mini are good enough.  But...  I don't want to pay Verizon prices and the X is single band LTE.  That's why I'm trying to figure out if I can live with the Moto X with just 1900mHz LTE.   

My problem is that I have a phone that's nearly 4 years old. Money doesn't prevent me from upgrading; size does. I've been waiting forever for decently sized phones to reappear. They're still too big, but the Moto X or Verizon Droid Mini are good enough. But... I don't want to pay Verizon prices and the X is single band LTE. That's why I'm trying to figure out if I can live with the Moto X with just 1900mHz LTE.

Why don't you look at the s4 mini. Its smaller than the motto x and is tri band.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Hi, I've come searching for info and help with my Sprint Moto X.  :)

My area is basically 3G, and I do get 4G when I move into other areas (Los Angeles, etc.).  Earlier this year, upgrades began on my local tower here in Belmont Heights, Long Beach, CA and my once crystal clear calls turned digital and robotic sounding.  I went from a Motorola XPRT to an HTC One but the call quality was so far below what I was used to, I've gone to a Moto X.  I really like the Moto X.  Now, though better, I still needed help, so Sprint sent me an Airave.

The Airave gives me crystal clear calls once again, however I can see disconnects/reconnects by watching the bars on my phone.  The bars should be solid, especially if I'm in the same room as the Airave!  This in turn has negatively affected my battery life while in range of the Airave.  I have not dropped a call but while on Wifi, my bars go from full to none every 6 minutes, like clockwork.  If I try to connect a call, the bars pop back up.  If I connect to the internet while the disconnect is happening, it stalls saying No Network Connection, but eventually connects.

Airave support has checked it out on their end and I've taken my phone to a Sprint Store.  All is apparently well.  So well in fact that they won't send me another Airave to try.  Sprint asked me to call FiOS to check their router and I've done that, i's good too. 

I'm not an enthusiast, so I'd love to know what you all think, or if something rings a bell.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  They say that 4G is around the corner for me, and that it could well solve all of my problems, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  I'm already blue in the face.

Anyone out there have an Airave with their Moto X?  Any luck?  If I'm in the wrong thread, please let me know.  Thanks!

Edited by GoldMember

Would the other 10% of us be in SouthernLinc's native coverage area?  Minus Atlanta who I would think will see some band 41 love.

That 10% are people who live or go to places that will not have any Band 26 or Band 41 LTE within the next 9 months.  Rural places in the South and along the international borders are largely that 10%,  However, most of these places will get Band 41 eventually, just in a period beyond the next 9 months.

Robert

• Like 1

That 10% are people who live or go to places that will not have any Band 26 or Band 41 LTE within the next 9 months. Rural places in the South and along the international borders are largely that 10%, However, most of these places will get Band 41 eventually, just in a period beyond the next 9 months.

Robert

Thanks Robert. Have you heard anything about band 26 in SouthernLinc territory by chance, specifically Birmingham, AL? I am trying to talk myself into a triband phone but am not finding any reasons right now.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Thanks Robert. Have you heard anything about band 26 in SouthernLinc territory by chance, specifically Birmingham, AL? I am trying to talk myself into a triband phone but am not finding any reasons right now.

We have not heard anything more recently.  It is possible that they will deploy 3MHz Band 26 LTE.  Which would run much better than even well performing 3G.  But Birmingham will not be an early adopter of Band 41.  

It is likely your area will receive 3MHz Band 26 and even Band 41 in some areas in less than the next 2 years.  So if you really want a new device, a Triband would still be a good option.  And it will allow you to use more bands when you travel.  However, if you really want a specific single band LTE device, then it would not be the end of the world considering where you live.

Also note though that Triband LTE devices have noticeably better performance on Band 25 than single band devices.  I'm not sure if that is important to you though.  Just food for thought.

Robert

• Like 1

Also note though that Triband LTE devices have noticeably better performance on Band 25 than single band devices.

Robert

Thanks, that's pretty significant in itself.

Anyone out there have an Airave with their Moto X?  Any luck?  If I'm in the wrong thread, please let me know.  Thanks!

Not yet, but if 800mhz voice performance isn't good enough when they unroll it, I will be getting an Airave.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is the UL and DL channels right though? Ohh crap. Must be a mistake then. I couldn't remember if Moto X was tri band or not. Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

The DL channel of 8665 is Band 25 LTE.  See the link below.

http://www.cellmapper.net/arfcn?net=LTE&ARFCN=8665&MNC=302