Motorola X Users Thread!

ericdabbs

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that anyone has officially checked the Sprint variant Motorola X for engineering screens. We need to get this done and screenshots posted, if applicable.

AJ

Here's one of me actually connected to LTE

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1382377773431.jpg

No idea what I'm looking for in the screens but here's a couple of screen shots of what I could find.

Thanks.  Your screenshot contributions are much appreciated.

Did you access the engineering screen menu through the traditional Sprint ##DEBUG# dialer code?

AJ

Thanks. Your screenshot contributions are much appreciated.

Did you access the engineering screen menu through the traditional Sprint ##DEBUG# dialer code?

AJ

Yes sir. ##DEBUG# and no password or MSL was required. Found that to be interesting. Engineering is spelled correctly to boot.

Yes sir. ##DEBUG# and no password or MSL was required. Found that to be interesting. Engineering is spelled correctly to boot.

Well, Motorola "enginerrs" may be here in the US, not in Korea.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

Here's one of me actually connected to LTE

Thanks.  Your screenshot contributions are much appreciated.

AJ

It says Band 26 connected.  However, those are definitely Band 25 channels.  Interesting.

Robert

It says Band 26 connected.  However, those are definitely Band 25 channels.  Interesting.

Uh oh. Motorola apparently has some "enginerrs," too.

AJ

Uh oh. Motorola apparently has some "enginerrs," too.

AJ

I don't know about those en-JAI-Ners, but I certainly appreciate a few surprises baked into a chipset.

Just switched to the Moto X from the iPhone 5. Among all the devices I've used in recent history (which also includes the GS4 and HTC One), I noticed this to have the best LTE reception and call quality. This thing grabs LTE in more places and the signal strength is typically 2 to 3 dB stronger. Awesome...

It definitely holds onto LTE better than the Galaxy Nexus! Still thinking voice and EVDO performance is nearly identical to my OG Evo, though.

Battery life is excellent. I am getting 4-6 hours of screen-on time, easily double my OG Evo, if not more. The biggest difference I notice is with games. 30 minutes of gaming would drain my Evo battery by nearly 50%, but just 20% or less on the X. It's an incredible difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It definitely holds onto LTE better than the Galaxy Nexus! Still thinking voice and EVDO performance is nearly identical to my OG Evo, though.

Alright, time to revise this statement. While it holds onto LTE better, it doesn't like to switch back if it loses it. It also holds onto 3G roaming for a long time. On my morning drive I disabled roaming to force it to scan, and it connected to LTE and held it several miles. Once it faded momentarily and went back to 3G, it stayed on 3G for 5 miles--the same 5 miles that I have good LTE signal when driving the other direction.

So, my Moto X only seems to scan when it loses the cell it's connected to.

Yes, that is what everyone is saying.

Right. And what people are "saying" is what really matters.

;)

AJ

Right. And what people are "saying" is what really matters.

;)

AJ

Sorry aj, thought you were one of those that said the moto x only had 1900 lte. Was i wrong? If so i apologize.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Sorry aj, thought you were one of those that said the moto x only had 1900 lte. Was i wrong? If so i apologize.

No, I am just teasing about going off of what people are "saying" online because that too often passes as fact.  In this case, though, I guess we never did publish an official article on the Motorola X.  But, rest assured, the Sprint variant is band 25 LTE 1900 only.

AJ

• Like 1

No, I am just teasing about going off of what people are "saying" online because that too often passes as fact. In this case, though, I guess we never did publish an official article on the Motorola X. But, rest assured, the Sprint variant is band 25 LTE 1900 only.

AJ

Lol. I got that after my post. I do agree with you on that point about "people saying things". Was just to lazy to look up the post.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

No, I am just teasing about going off of what people are "saying" online because that too often passes as fact.  In this case, though, I guess we never did publish an official article on the Motorola X.  But, rest assured, the Sprint variant is band 25 LTE 1900 only.

AJ

Thanks, AJ. But, I have a question about ”what it all means”. I've tried to ask it before, but maybe I am trying to get too far down into the weeds, so I get very specific answers but what I'm really looking for is a high-level analysis.

Simply: Understanding I'm looking for subjective opinion, not objective fact, is 1900 good enough, or does support for just that one band make the X a non-starter for most people?

Thanks, AJ. But, I have a question about ”what it all means”. I've tried to ask it before, but maybe I am trying to get too far down into the weeds, so I get very specific answers but what I'm really looking for is a high-level analysis.

Simply: Understanding I'm looking for subjective opinion, not objective fact, is 1900 good enough, or does support for just that one band make the X a non-starter for most people?

For me it's a deal breaker as I live in a strong (well at one time) Nextel area, and I'm hoping that translates to lte at some point.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

For me it's a deal breaker as I live in a strong (well at one time) Nextel area, and I'm hoping that translates to lte at some point.

The historic strength of Nextel iDEN in your area will have little, if any effect on Sprint LTE.

AJ

The historic strength of Nextel iDEN in your area will have little, if any effect on Sprint LTE.

AJ

huh

Backstory...

I have a s4 which was my first (kept) android device after being a loyal iPhone user. Love the screen, dislike touchwiz and it's actually a bit too big..

Clearwire has a bunch of towers where I work so I figured I'd get a tri band phone - the iPhone 5C or 5s, but that's only 2 bands. So I said hmm maybe the X is it but it's only got 1 band.

The Nexus 5 had me at $350...but the poor camera and well the long wait times have me looking at the iPhone again or X.

Oh I just sold my s4 so I need to make up my mind I suppose before I ship it out ;-)

Sorry for the soap opera posting :-)

The Nexus 5 had me at $350...but the poor camera and well the long wait times have me looking at the iPhone again or X.

Oh I just sold my s4 so I need to make up my mind I suppose before I ship it out ;-)

If memory serves people were complaining about the Moto X camera when the phone first came out, but then Moto pushed out an update and people seem to be pretty happy.  For $350/400 the Nexus 5 seems like a pretty nice piece of hardware and I'm assuming that there will be a camera fix shortly.  

Currently I'm torn because I want to try out the Republic Wireless Moto X and if their service is improved over 18 months ago I think I might just go with them (I'm always around wifi and really don't spend that much time on the phone these days anyway).  If there are still issues, which I imagine there will be it is a toss up between the Moto X or the Nexus 5 on Sprint. 

Do you not have another phone laying around you can use for the 2-3 weeks for the Nexus?

AJ

I was wondering about that.  Never saw an FCC breakdown any chance of this still coming out or did it just get skipped over?

huh

Backstory...

I have a s4 which was my first (kept) android device after being a loyal iPhone user. Love the screen, dislike touchwiz and it's actually a bit too big..

Clearwire has a bunch of towers where I work so I figured I'd get a tri band phone - the iPhone 5C or 5s, but that's only 2 bands. So I said hmm maybe the X is it but it's only got 1 band.

Android Central say they like the camera.

Nexus 5 camera samples and first impressions http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-initial-photo-and-video-samples