Motorola X Users Thread!

ericdabbs

Pic of Robert and AJ together :

muppet-pimps.jpg

My favorite line is "Read a book you illiterate son of a @#$%, and step up your vocab."  That is practically my mantra.

AJ

• Like 1

I got this phone over the weekend, and let me just say it is the best performing phone I have ever used.  Feels perfect in the hand (reminds me of the Nexus One), extremely snappy, active notifications are great, and it looks cool too.  I was a little worried the active notifications would be a bit gimmicky and drain battery life, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.  I highly recommend this phone to anyone who will listen.

This is compared to phones I have owned or used extensively: Nexus one, iPhone 3/GS, OG EVO 4G, GS3, Nexus S, and the EVO 4G LTE.

You may have noticed in my profile I have jumped to Tmo.  I just cant wait any longer for the empty promise of 4G Sprint service in San Diego, as they are already approaching a year behind schedule, degrading service, and Soft Bank stating things are admittedly going to take one to two more years.  I have passed my EVO onto my son, and have two other phones still on Sprint, so I have not abandoned them altogether.  Perhaps I'll be back one day.  So long, and thanks for the fish.

Mike

What does the engineering screen look like, same as the MoPho 4G/Q?

I'm often noticing better ping times but much the same terrible download and upload speeds as when I was only using EVDO with my Evo 3D.  Is it fair to say that many Network Vision sites still don't have fiber run to them yet?

Is the MoPho 4G/Q a Sprint only device?  I jumped to T-mobile.  If you can tell me how to call up the engineering screen I'll try to post it.

Ah I didn't see you were on T-Mobile, Sprint is the only carrier who wants the enineering screens so it likely isn't there.

How is the RF performance of the Moto X on T-Mobile? Motorola always did an A+ job on radio performance for the Verizon devices I had, does that carry over to WCDMA/HSPA+ and LTE?

I got this phone over the weekend, and let me just say it is the best performing phone I have ever used.  Feels perfect in the hand (reminds me of the Nexus One), extremely snappy, active notifications are great, and it looks cool too.  I was a little worried the active notifications would be a bit gimmicky and drain battery life, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.  I highly recommend this phone to anyone who will listen.

This is compared to phones I have owned or used extensively: Nexus one, iPhone 3/GS, OG EVO 4G, GS3, Nexus S, and the EVO 4G LTE.

You may have noticed in my profile I have jumped to Tmo.  I just cant wait any longer for the empty promise of 4G Sprint service in San Diego, as they are already approaching a year behind schedule, degrading service, and Soft Bank stating things are admittedly going to take one to two more years.  I have passed my EVO onto my son, and have two other phones still on Sprint, so I have not abandoned them altogether.  Perhaps I'll be back one day.  So long, and thanks for the fish.

Mike

Do you have LTE? If so, is it better than Sprints? (If you had Sprint LTE that is)

-Luis

How is the RF performance of the Moto X on T-Mobile? Motorola always did an A+ job on radio performance for the Verizon devices I had, does that carry over to WCDMA/HSPA+ and LTE?

The RF performance seems to be really solid.  One of the biggest problems with the EVO 4G LTE was it had a really tough time switching between signal types (4G, 3G, wifi) and would get hung up in sort of a limbo deciding what to do.  This phone switches between LTE, HSPA+, and wifi seemlesly.

When I was a Sensorly addict, and would actively seek out Sprint 4G areas. I think the best I ever got was around 13-15 mbps.  In L.A. where LTE is pretty pervasive it fluctuated greatly from 3 mbps to probably around 15.  I have Tmo LTE most places I go.  In Claremeont where I work I have full 4-bars of LTE and consistently get over 20 mbps.  I live in the Del Cerro/Allied Gardens area where signal varies from 2-4 full bars.  At home I have consistent 2 bars LTE and get between 8 and 12 mbps.  I get full LTE at SDSU, but the signal penetration is week in the buildings, and I get zero signal in the concrete parking structures.  The few places I have dropped down to HSPA+ I average around 7 mbps.

I don't really know what the numbers mean, but in Signal Check Pro under LTE I see:

RSRP: -72 dBm (31 asu)

RSRQ: -7 dB, SNR: 24.0 dB

GCI: 21363203, PCI: 76

GSM

RSSI: -85dBm (90 asu), BER:0%

LAC: 12130, CID: 21363203

My wife still has her iPhone 5, and I gave my son my EVO, so I'll still be here checking for updates.  I just wanted to thank you, Robert and AJ, and all other contributors for the information you provide to us cell phone geeks.

• Like 1

The RF performance seems to be really solid.  One of the biggest problems with the EVO 4G LTE was it had a really tough time switching between signal types (4G, 3G, wifi) and would get hung up in sort of a limbo deciding what to do.  This phone switches between LTE, HSPA+, and wifi seemlesly.

When I was a Sensorly addict, and would actively seek out Sprint 4G areas. I think the best I ever got was around 13-15 mbps.  In L.A. where LTE is pretty pervasive it fluctuated greatly from 3 mbps to probably around 15.  I have Tmo LTE most places I go.  In Claremeont where I work I have full 4-bars of LTE and consistently get over 20 mbps.  I live in the Del Cerro/Allied Gardens area where signal varies from 2-4 full bars.  At home I have consistent 2 bars LTE and get between 8 and 12 mbps.  I get full LTE at SDSU, but the signal penetration is week in the buildings, and I get zero signal in the concrete parking structures.  The few places I have dropped down to HSPA+ I average around 7 mbps.

I don't really know what the numbers mean, but in Signal Check Pro under LTE I see:

RSRP: -72 dBm (31 asu)

RSRQ: -7 dB, SNR: 24.0 dB

GCI: 21363203, PCI: 76

GSM

RSSI: -85dBm (90 asu), BER:0%

LAC: 12130, CID: 21363203

My wife still has her iPhone 5, and I gave my son my EVO, so I'll still be here checking for updates.  I just wanted to thank you, Robert and AJ, and all other contributors for the information you provide to us cell phone geeks.

The EVO LTE is also well known around these parts to be one of worst RF performers.

• Like 1

Finally had a chance to compare LTE signals on my EVO vs my wife's moto X. When the phones were side by side my EVO showed about 8-10 db less than the Moto X. 1X was about the same, but LTE wasn't close. Signal levels were checked with the SignalCheck app.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Finally had a chance to compare LTE signals on my EVO vs my wife's moto X. When the phones were side by side my EVO showed about 8-10 db less than the Moto X. 1X was about the same, but LTE wasn't close. Signal levels were checked with the SignalCheck app.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Not surprising at all, seems like everyone on here has complained about the EVO LTE's RF performance.

I'm curious about this too--particularly 1x performance.

I am ready to upgrade my OG Evo 4G, but don't want to take a step backwards in RF performance, like my wife's Galaxy Nexus! I also wonder how the 1x performance compares to the HTC One.

I am ready to upgrade my OG Evo 4G, but don't want to take a step backwards in RF performance, like my wife's Galaxy Nexus! I also wonder how the 1x performance compares to the HTC One.

Unless you need to upgrade now, I would wait and get a Tri band phone.

• Like 1

Unless you need to upgrade now, I would wait and get a Tri band phone.

I've been holding off on an upgrade for a while, and at this point am frustrated daily. I'm not interested in the G2, and it could easily be Q2 or later before a triband phone I like comes along. I could really make use of 800mhz voice now, or as soon as they turn it on here, so I'm thinking a Moto X on a One Up plan might be the way to go.

I've been holding off on an upgrade for a while, and at this point am frustrated daily. I'm not interested in the G2, and it could easily be Q2 or later before a triband phone I like comes along. I could really make use of 800mhz voice now, or as soon as they turn it on here, so I'm thinking a Moto X on a One Up plan might be the way to go.

Well then I think that the Moto X is probably perfect if you need a device now.

The Photon was well-liked for RF performance.  That doesn't mean it holds true here!

I've had a Moto X for a few days now, and it's an excellent upgrade from my OG Evo. RF performance seems similar when on Sprint's network, but it does tend to roam a lot more, requiring a stronger Sprint signal to switch back. This is a good thing for voice calls, and a bad thing for data performance--a mixed bag that I think I like better.

Just switched to the Moto X from the iPhone 5. Among all the devices I've used in recent history (which also includes the GS4 and HTC One), I noticed this to have the best LTE reception and call quality. This thing grabs LTE in more places and the signal strength is typically 2 to 3 dB stronger. Awesome...

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that anyone has officially checked the Sprint variant Motorola X for engineering screens.  We need to get this done and screenshots posted, if applicable.

AJ

• Like 1