rwhittaker13

What "Backhaul" Means

NOTE: This thread was closed by the S4GRU Admin. The content of the post below is one members interpretation of backhaul, and not how S4GRU would describe backhaul. The post should be treated as an opinion and not as fact.

Alright so this thread is for any new users to the site who do not already know what "Backhaul" means, which im sure a good bit of you have already heard of this lol.

WHAT IS BACKHAUL?

Backhaul is one factor in how fast data speeds can be on a mobile network. Backhaul means sending data over an "out of the way" route, usually meaning to allow data to travel quicker or for less expensive data transfer costs. Think of it as a backchannel to a network. With data flowing more freely, the speeds for other network users will remain constant and uninterrupted, even under heavy data traffic.

HOW IS BACKHAUL ACHIEVED?

Backhaul is usually achieved by installing fiber optic cables to the cell site. Fiber optics tend to be a better electrical transmitter than standard cable setups. On towers, singlemode and multimode fiber appear mostly in tower setups. Usually as well, singlemode fiber carries more bandwith than multimode fiber connections can. So what does this mean? It means that backhaul has some quite technical aspects. Many think that backhaul is just a simple cable swap, but in reality, the technology behind backhauling a mobile network is very extensive. Not only is this good for the company, but it is also good for the users who demand better network efficiency, as well as faster, more constant data speeds. Also, just as a sidenote, backhaul is a huge factor on LTE networks. I will put this as simple as possible: If an LTE network is deployed without the appropriate backhaul upgrades, the network will crawl, especially under heavy data traffic. The same applies to backhauled 3G networks (Known as HSPA+), which is one of the reasons why AT&T and T-Mobiles HSPA+ networks suffer with such terrible data speeds in some areas.

I think this is more confusing than what it's worth, and you should really rethink it in it's entirety.  The premisses is good, but (and I hate to say it, since I couldn't do any better) poorly thought out.  What really got me is the use of Fibre and and electrical transmission. Fibre is light transmission over plastic/glass and electrical requires conductive metal. And backhaul may not always be fibre, but other means as well, microwave and copper pair.  

In laymans terms, I think the best way to describe backhaul is;

Backhaul is the 'interstate' that connects the cities (cell sites) to each other. It is the (typically) high speed interface with minimal onramps/exits.

Multiple 'backhauls' tend to congregate at the 'interchange' (ie regional gateway). Interchanges allow the high speed handoff from one 'interstate' to another 'interstate' in order to forward the data to final destination.

Data may travel along several interstates and through multiple interchanges before reaching that destination, even if that destination may be physically closer than the network route.

Similar how it is sometimes faster to take the longer interstate route (at higher speed), than going through a shorter downtown heavy/slow traffic route.

Then the message about fibre when it is spelled fiber confuses it even more. Even my box of Wheaties had it spelled as fiber this morning.

• Like 3

Someone's using the Queen's English. See the EE spelling of "fibre" in promoting their fiber to the curb product.

http://ee.co.uk/

No problem with that, but the explanation is very confusing.

Backhaul, in the context of mobile, is simply the data connection used by a mobile provider to move voice and data from their core network to the node where service is broadcast.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backhaul_(telecommunications)

heh, sorry, I've been doing SAN storage for over 10+ years and I've always spelled it fibre.  Not sure why.  It just stuck in my head.  around these parts it pretty much interchangeable.   Yeah.. in SAN.. fibre channel ... but the it is a fiber cable.. my apologies for the wrong spelling, but no matter the spelling.  It is the transmission of light over some medium (plastic/glass) not electrical over a conductive medium

This thread, while good intentioned, has to be closed. It is so riddled with inaccuracy and confusion that it is not helpful. I don't want anyone to Google backhaul, end up in this thread and think this is an official S4GRU definition of backhaul.

I'm sorry, rwhittaker13. Nothing personal. But this does not quite meet the level of a helpful terms definition thread.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By vanko987
      I'm new to this forum, and I've seen people mention cell sites with specific ID's (for example, SF33XC664). Is there any significance to these ID's, and is there a way to decode them? Also, how do I figure out what the cell site ID's are for towers near me?
      Thanks! I'm excited to start talking on this site more 😀
    • By Paynefanbro
      I figured since Verizon's 5G-NR network officially launched it would make sense for there to be a thread for it.
    • By EntrepreneurKid
      With Todays announcement that T-Mobile and Sprint are merging, and the announcement of the T-Mobile Sprint Roaming deal that will survive and will last for four years regardless if the merger is completed or not, which is effect immediately as stated in the conference call and the slides made available. So I thought I'd create this to see if anyone has been able to use their Sprint device on T-Mobile roaming yet. And of course if not, once you do, come back here and say you have. Personally I'm not bothering with anything until after the coverage map is updated again, hopefully to reflect the T-Mobile roaming. And of course if you are able to roam onto T-Mobile what kind of speeds are you pulling, and on what device.
      Also for those that are unaware, the T-Mobile Sprint Roaming agreement that was announced as part of todays merger announcement is a roaming agreement for Sprint customers to roam onto T-Mobile for 4 years and takes affect immediately, yes right now, regardless if the merger completes or not. Surely it's a stepping stone to integrating the networks by getting Sprint devices that are capable, which according to the conference call is 20 Million Sprint devices ready to be used on the T-Mobile network full time once deal is approved by the regulators and finally completed.
    • By danlodish345
      hello everyone i m starting a thread for sprint network predictions for 2018. i am wishing sprint and s4gru a happy holidays and new years. 

regards Daniel
    • By EntrepreneurKid
      I'm here looking for answers to a simple question. Where is this mystery Sprint signal coming from? For the past few weeks I've received a signal on multiple Sprint devices, two Sprint devices with roaming turned off, and two Virgin Mobile phones and Virgin Mobile phones can't roam, the other rate plans might be able but I'm talk about Virgin Mobile devices from before they introduced all those other plans. What I'm making clear is these devices have to be picking up a Sprint signal, plus I've downloaded the SignalCheck Pro app which has indicated two different signals 1XRTT and 1X800. 

The signal only last for about 8 hours each morning and begins coming in and out towards the end of each morning. I try making a call and it fails, and it doesn't get any data at all. I try each device and they all do the same thing they have a signal and very strong signal with no data, and voice doesn't go threw, I haven't tried sending a text figured no data, no voice then there must be no text.

I read about some "projects"  that Sprint has going on Project Ocean and Project Cedar. Since Project Ocean is suppose to be taking place in Missouri and I live so close to the Iowa, Missouri line, I figured if there is a tower going up maybe it is possible I'm getting a signal from it, in the early stages. I really don't know what is going on, if Sprint is launching service, putting up new towers and that signal finally comes, and stays, and works. I'll be back full time on the Sprint ban wagon. Unfortunately, I live in an area not served by (according to experience and coverage map) Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint. Not even the two Iowa carriers i Wireless or Chat Mobility serve my area, go 10, 15 or 20 miles in any direction your good, here, wireless dead zone, no choice of carriers. And if Sprint puts a tower here if I finally get an answer and learn that signal will soon come and stay and work I'll finally have a choice.

So if anyone has any ideas, has experienced this in other parts of the country or has any idea what could be going on please say. Any information is better than not knowing, and together maybe this will be answered.
    • It seems really big to me, but I have to admit I'm considering it.  The dual screen thing seems moderately interesting.  I'd be interested in trying it out.  EDIT:  But Best Buy has the G8X on sale right now at a very sensible price.  It's comparable in size to my G6, versus the V60 which, having looked at the dimensions, seems enormous by comparison.  My G6 is already at the very top end of what would fit in my hand.  If I got the V60, it'd be solely for the ability to use 5G, which I don't really need other than for tracking purposes--and right now, I think it's pretty safe to assume that a site with 600 MHz LTE on T-Mobile or a Massive MIMO antenna on Sprint is running 5G without having to prove it that way. - Trip
    • Official LG intro video:  
    • Any thoughts on the included dual-screen? Doesn't seem like something I'd use, would be nice to have an option where it's not included, maybe for a slightly lower price.  Battery size is nice! LG lagged a little behind on the battery for the G series for a while. https://www.cnet.com/news/hands-on-lg-v60-thinq-5g-with-8k-video-and-dual-screen/