Google Services slow over Sprint LTE

jefbal99

I think this has been mentioned/discussed, but I couldn't find a topic on it...

Is anyone else experiencing incredibly slow response/download from Google services on Sprint LTE?  With a very stable LTE signal, I can try to update an app from the play store or download an email attachment and it is like my data is flowing over the 1X voice channel.  I'm currently updating the MaaS360 app that I have to use for my Corp email and with 8% downloaded in about 7 minutes, it says I have 41minutes left and that is going up.  I try to get pictures that my wife sends me of the kids, 1-3 MB and they rarely get passed the loading stage.  I will make changes to my gmail account via Android app and it takes 15 minutes for them to show up on the Web or I will respond to the email and the Gmail app sits at sending, but the Website shows the response.  Google Now gives me a toast notification that is "No Connection."  When wifi is available, if I flip to that, everything loads crazy fast.

I just ran a speedtest while that MaaS360 download was going on, 93ms ping, 2.00Mbps down, 3.50Mbps up.  Web pages load fine, Podcast downloads, corp email and other apps load up fine.

Has there been any talk or rumblings about traffic shaping on Google services?  I know Sprint will be managing their network much more tightly post NV.

Unless there is an error in the traffic shaping set up, I don't think this is anything that would trigger Traffic Shaping. Google is such an integral part of the Android smartphone experience, that I don't think Sprint would dare mess with it. At least intentionally. Also, traffic shaping would likely only occur when the sector, site or core was reaching capacity.

I do recall in the Samsung LTE FIT reports in Hammond, Indiana them mentioning having problems integrating with Google services. I believe it was at the core level, where they were trying to dedicated connections to Google servers instead of going back straight out to the internet. If memory serves, they had to abandon the direct connections in the FIT because they couldn't solve the issue.

It's possible that they have tried to reinstitute this again thinking they have solved the problem. It's possible you are in a test zone.

This is the extent of what I know.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 3

That is great information Robert, thanks.  That app download went for 30 minutes, then the last like 10MB came down in a flash, true LTE speed.  Now my twitter app, Plume has 20 mins to go with 11% downloaded.

Also, I'm doing this from an active NV deployment area all through the same 4G core, so maybe they are still doing work at the core level.

All depends on the site and the load.  I know the new LTE site that covers my work now becomes unusable everyday around lunch hours.  I end up having to turn LTE off around this time otherwise data just won't work.  Guess this site is just getting slammed.

All depends on the site and the load.  I know the new LTE site that covers my work now becomes unusable everyday around lunch hours.  I end up having to turn LTE off around this time otherwise data just won't work.  Guess this site is just getting slammed.

Naw, all other data is fine, just Google related stuff is getting the slowdown and it happens at multiple LTE sites morning, noon, night

On NV 3G, I've observed some painfully slow Google store downloads... areas where I was able to test and verify sufficient speed but crawled at less than 50k a second.    Figured it was just my phone, but good to know thats not the case.  

• Like 1

Unless there is an error in the traffic shaping set up, I don't think this is anything that would trigger Traffic Shaping. Google is such an integral part of the Android smartphone experience, that I don't think Sprint would dare mess with it. At least intentionally. Also, traffic shaping would likely only occur when the sector, site or core was reaching capacity.

I do recall in the Samsung LTE FIT reports in Hammond, Indiana them mentioning having problems integrating with Google services. I believe it was at the core level, where they were trying to dedicated connections to Google servers instead of going back straight out to the internet. If memory serves, they had to abandon the direct connections in the FIT because they couldn't solve the issue.

It's possible that they have tried to reinstitute this again thinking they have solved the problem. It's possible you are in a test zone.

This is the extent of what I know.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Is anyone else experiencing incredibly slow response/download from Google services on Sprint LTE?  With a very stable LTE signal, I can try to update an app from the play store or download an email attachment and it is like my data is flowing over the 1X voice channel.  I'm currently updating the MaaS360 app that I have to use for my Corp email and with 8% downloaded in about 7 minutes, it says I have 41minutes left and that is going up.  I try to get pictures that my wife sends me of the kids, 1-3 MB and they rarely get passed the loading stage.  I will make changes to my gmail account via Android app and it takes 15 minutes for them to show up on the Web or I will respond to the email and the Gmail app sits at sending, but the Website shows the response.  Google Now gives me a toast notification that is "No Connection."  When wifi is available, if I flip to that, everything loads crazy fast.

I just ran a speedtest while that MaaS360 download was going on, 93ms ping, 2.00Mbps down, 3.50Mbps up.  Web pages load fine, Podcast downloads, corp email and other apps load up fine.

Has there been any talk or rumblings about traffic shaping on Google services?  I know Sprint will be managing their network much more tightly post NV.

I've had the same problem a few times with speeds that were a bit higher than yours. But it hasn't happened in a while.

I actually just had the same problem with Google Play on my Galaxy Note 2 on Sprint legacy 3G. Speed test is running around 2.2Mbps. However, this 4MB download from Google is already 30 minutes in and it's only 68%! Something is going on.

Robert

• Like 2

I actually just had the same problem with Google Play on my Galaxy Note 2 on Sprint legacy 3G. Speed test is running around 2.2Mbps. However, this 4MB download from Google is already 30 minutes in and it's only 68%! Something is going on.

Robert

Hmm Google servers?

Yes, absolutely. The issue where Play Store downloads go slower than 1X speeds, Google Talk and Hangouts video fails to connect, and all other Google services often fail to work.

I personally noticed this issue immediately when Lowell, MI got LTE. It was a problem from the very beginning that LTE was turned on. I was in the store, watched a customer's Photon Q switch over to 4G, and then soon after tried to update apps. They did not work. Confused, I ran a Speed Test, and got 27 Mbps. After a bit, I determined that Google services were somehow being throttled or did not connect properly.

The reason it seemed like traffic shaping is that it definitely seemed to happen more during certain times of the day. Again, other web browsing was not affected.

If no other markets are affected, it could be an issue with the Kentwood 4G Core.

I had filed a CTMS ticket related to it, and last I checked it is still open and pending. Sadly, I've lost the ticket number. I'll file another soon, if this keeps up.

• Like 1

Yes, absolutely. The issue where Play Store downloads go slower than 1X speeds, Google Talk and Hangouts video fails to connect, and all other Google services often fail to work.

I personally noticed this issue immediately when Lowell, MI got LTE. It was a problem from the very beginning that LTE was turned on. I was in the store, watched a customer's Photon Q switch over to 4G, and then soon after tried to update apps. They did not work. Confused, I ran a Speed Test, and got 27 Mbps. After a bit, I determined that Google services were somehow being throttled or did not connect properly.

The reason it seemed like traffic shaping is that it definitely seemed to happen more during certain times of the day. Again, other web browsing was not affected.

If no other markets are affected, it could be an issue with the Kentwood 4G Core.

I had filed a CTMS ticket related to it, and last I checked it is still open and pending. Sadly, I've lost the ticket number. I'll file another soon, if this keeps up.

I'd imagine that anything get's throttled. I'd imagine the google servers work like wireless networks, like when a bunch of people are on it. They spread enough BW for each person or h.e that works lol

What I found works is that you stop the update and hit the update button again, your will be corrected. Some how it is a problem that plagues everyone. I have experienced to, not every time though. On wifi it is different, but on the cell network it happens.

• Like 1

I think its the google servers. For the past month I have had multiple instances of Google drive hanging up  while auto saving a document. This has happened on several different types of connections so its not an ISP issue.

What I found works is that you stop the update and hit the update button again, your will be corrected. Some how it is a problem that plagues everyone. I have experienced to, not every time though. On wifi it is different, but on the cell network it happens.

Yep, you got it right.  Just hit cancel, and then update and accept again and it'll go fast.  Weird...

Yep, you got it right.  Just hit cancel, and then update and accept again and it'll go fast.  Weird...

I noticed it happens more if I hit the power button to shut the screen off.  If I let the screen turn off on it's own, I don't typically have an issue.

I had this same exact problem when I was on VZW with an HTC Thunderbolt. On LTE (with good signal and speed) anything Google related and bit.ly links would work at a snails pace. When I manually flipped it to 3G, everything worked fine. When they exchanged it to a Droid Charge (all the Thunderbolts they sent me had the same problem) the issue went away.

My theory at the time was perhaps there was a problem with how LTE handles IP V6.0. And possibly has something to do with how it converts it to IP V4.0 for your handset?

To this day I still don't know what was wrong.

[Edit]

I forgot to mention that out of 3 VZW stores I visited, all the demo Thunderbolts had the same problem with Google services and bit.ly links

• Like 2

its intermeint for me but mostly slow its so annoying I do a speed test and im getting 22 down

Wow, that totally works, I'm not sure if I should be impressed how easy it is to fix or pissed off that it has been an issue for so long and not fixed.  Average Joe end user will not like this solution and be very pissy...

I am starting to wonder if it is related to google's new music streaming service (which is quite good).

Overtaxed google pipes serving up a lot of new music I/O.

Naw, this has been an ongoing issue that I initially thought was just due to lack of towers.

• Like 2

I am starting to wonder if it is related to google's new music streaming service (which is quite good).

Overtaxed google pipes serving up a lot of new music I/O.

Been an issue since LTE was lit up in Lowell, MI back in February, and possibly before.

I have issues with Google services on my 50/50 business class cable connection at home sometimes, most often NOT at peak times. It's not Sprint's connection itself probably.

• Like 2